30 Day Shred and calories burned???

Options
So today I just finished day 7 level 1 of 30ds. I finally replaced my batteries in my HRM to use with today's workout. Of course I wanted to see how many calories I was burning. The HRM gave me a readout of 135 calories!?!? When I have been logging it into MFP for 24 minutes circuit training it gives me 216 calories burned. So which do I go with? Are HRM's more accurate? I"m frustrated, I feel like I"m working my tush off and all I burn in 135 calories. Does this seem a bit low? I'm 5'5" 149 lbs Female. Any input would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation. HRMs are more accurate.

The 30DS will give you a leaner body and improve your all-round fitness. :)
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I always wondered about this... I'm on level 2 and sweat so much for such few calories...
  • CanadianMomma
    CanadianMomma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer, but thought that I'd share that I was having the same issue. The site was telling me that 25 minutes was burning 339 calories (I'm heavier than you), but I just started using a new HRM and my readouts have been 270 ish. I was told the HRM was more accurate, so I wasn't sure what to use. So I was taking a number in between and using that. It does seem disheartening when you get a lower number than expected - especially when you are working so darn hard in the 30 DS.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and currently 131, I typically burn around 175-225 per level of the Shred if I'm really working my butt off. Usually right at the 200 mark. I did NOT burn that much when I was first starting it, b/c I had a hard time keeping up with the moves and took those few moments where she just stands there saying what she's going to do next and just stood and watched. Now I don't stand still during those times, I know what's coming next so I go ahead and do it while she's still talking. Harder work = better burn.

My DH tends to burn 350-400 per Shred session, bigger people can burn quicker. :-)

Also, to get a little bit better estimation if you're having to use MFP estimates, you should probably only enter it as like 20 minutes circuit training in order to not count the stretching portions....... If you DO have an HRM and it has the chest strap and is correctly programmed with your height/weight/age/gender, I would go with that number over MFP since it is attempting to take your effort into account. It's still not perfect, there is definite room for error, but I'd trust it more than MFP.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the opposite issue. When I entered it into MFP (20 minutes circuit training), I get 194 calories burned (I'm 5'6" and just under 160). When I wear my HRM (a Polar FT7), the total is somewhere between 270 and 300. Granted this is for closer to 35 minutes when I finish stretching, but still it is significantly higher.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    mfp overestimates everything i only burn about 120 working as hard as i can on level 1 and 140-150 on level 2 very frustrating but its true hrm is more accurate and considering its only 20 mins tht is quite a bit if u think about it
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I find that the MFP estimates for calories burned is too high most of the time. The HRM is the most accurate. Doing that type of exercise, you are going to gain muscle and you get the "after burn" -- your metabolism stays stoked for a while after you finish. The result will be fat burning and lost inches.

Cardio exercise burns a lot of calories, but you don't get the after burn and it may not burn fat.
  • Stacey_c123
    Stacey_c123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    im 5"2 and 166lbs and my HRM said i'd burnt 234 cals on level 1, but the site tells me 202 so im kinda in the opposite position to you! i go with the HRM because it is more accurate in general.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much a guess, and estimation, at best

Even a Heart Rate Monitor is meant to be used for sustained aerobic exercise, not HIIT style Cardio like 30 DS.
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Could it be possible that the discrepancy has to do with a persons level of fitness? I know that when I first started doing 30DS my heart rate was MUCH higher than it is now when I do it. A year ago I was really out of shape and my heart rate was probably through the roof when doing it. Now that I am in better shape over all, my heart rate isn't as high. (I don't have a HRM, just going by the pounding in my chest)

What do y'all think?
  • northwjj
    northwjj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's input. It seems I will be going with the HRM results :) It is a bit discouraging but I know I'm sweating and getting a good workout. And after all the results pictures I have seen I can only hope my body with be toned by the end of it too. Can't wait for level 2!

ETA: And I think I will log it as only 20 minutes circuit training instead of 24 minutes
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Im 143 lbs and I did the 3rd Level of 30DS the other day and I burned 200 calories according to my HRM. =]
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I rarely burn over 200 calories while shredding. If you walk around your block after you're done, you'll see those numbers jump up significantly!