Critique my workout plan?

Options
I'm getting back into lifting while also trying to drop some poundage. I have a gym membership for the next 3 months (at least...) and have a 12-week plan, adapted from http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html. This workout would be for the first 4 weeks and then weights would increase more and reps would drop (as mentioned in site link).

Mon: Upper body lifting (bench press, bent over row, DB shoulder press, tricep extension, DB curl) 3x8-12

Tues: Lower body lifting (squat, stiff leg deadlft, leg extension, leg curl, calf raise) 3x8-12 and abs (leg raise and ball crunch) 3x10-15

Wed: 1 hour interval training class at gym for cardio

Thu: Upper body lifting (dips, pull-ups, DB side lateral, tricep cable pulldown, cable curl) 3x8-12

Fri: Flexibility class at gym in AM. Then in PM: Lower body lifting (deadlift, leg press, lunges, seated calf raise, DB shrugs) 3x8-12 and abs (incline crunch and back extension) 3x10-15

Sat: body sculpting non-aerobic class at gym

Sun: rest. Maybe some light hiking if the weather's nice.

Things could be mixed up more since the gym also has kettlebell classes, boxing, yoga, tai chi, and such offered as well, but I want to sort of stick to lifting 4 days a week and getting in some form of HIIT. On lifting days, I warm up with fluid stretches and 5-10 min. walking or biking and then stretch for a cooldown. I have protein shakes for recovery and drink plenty of water. Also on a multivitamin. My diet is LCHF because I'm trying to lose weight and gluten has turned out to be bad for my headaches. I feel great on the diet but know it will be a little harder with my lifting program since I won't be eating oatz or bananas or whatever a lot of people have after workouts.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me! Just eat clean!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    the only thing i would change is doing 5x5 sets and reps. other then that, it looks grea.t
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Your strength training plan looks pretty good to me. My only thought is that I'm wondering if the website will switch up the exercises for you after a couple weeks of doing this program so you can hit your muscles at different angles and keep your body guessing at what you'll hit it with next. I just noticed little things like Monday you're doing DB curls and then Thursday cable curls, but those 2 exercises essentially hit the biceps the same if your grip is the same. Or would Monday be like a hammer curl and Thursday a cable curl or preacher curl? Just my thoughts. If that site switches it up so you don't have to think about it, then that's awesome! Otherwise, you might just make tweaks to the exercises every couple of weeks. :smile:
  • jesustapdancingchristy
    Options
    My only thought is that I'm wondering if the website will switch up the exercises for you after a couple weeks of doing this program so you can hit your muscles at different angles and keep your body guessing at what you'll hit it with next.

Good call. I think of the plan as a starting point so that I'm on track and know what I'm doing instead of wandering from familiar machine to familiar machine. I bet that after a week or two, I'll have my strengths/weaknesses figured out a bit more and will switch up the exercises while keeping the M/Th upper body and T/F lower body routine.

Also I just ordered a foam roller so hopefully I can work out my muscle knots and not get sidtracked by soreness :)

Thanks!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I just posted a thread (like a second before yours it seems) about looking for a weightlifting plan. I'm checking out that site now, thanks!!