Fast food or not? What to do when in a rush?

Options
Ok. When I first started my journey I ate almost whatever as long as I counted the calories in it(including fast food). Now I'm really focused on eating a cleaner diet and cutting out a lot of the processed foods I ate before. I have a really really busy schedule and I usually bring snacks with me to work but what do I do when I run out, Im out and have nothing to eat for dinner or want to go out with friends? What do some of you eat when in a hurry?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    carry a low carb protein shake in you r bag for emergencies...or high protein snacks, Babybell light cheese or even a proteinbar to fill up on in a hurry!
  • LadyFaile
    Options
    Most fast food restaurants are starting to carry some healthier options due to the combination of not being able to put toys in kids meals without the options and increased demand from people who are trying to eat healthier. For instance from McDonalds you could get a Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Apple Slices and water.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have healthy options... and even with the unhealthier ones you can make them healthier. Ask for no sauce on meats and vegetables. Ask for salad dressing on the side and dip your fork into it and than into the salad. As for things to be stir fried in small amounts of olive oil instead of butter. ASK how things are made... most restaurants will help cater to what you need. This usually doesn't go for your typical fast food place but you can always make things healthier. Ask to sub out unhealthier things like rice for things like veggies. It's easy if you research and make the attempt.

I always have a healthy granola bar and a slimfast shake in my purse. They help in a pinch when I'm either stuck at work later, had to make a trip somewhere or was just caught in a situation where I was starving and nowhere near home. Plan ahead! I always keep tons of healthy snacks at work in my desk just in case. When they start to get low I fill the stash up.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Subway. Not ideal, but easy to choose a reasonable meal on the go.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Ok. When I first started my journey I ate almost whatever as long as I counted the calories in it(including fast food). Now I'm really focused on eating a cleaner diet and cutting out a lot of the processed foods I ate before. I have a really really busy schedule and I usually bring snacks with me to work but what do I do when I run out, Im out and have nothing to eat for dinner or want to go out with friends? What do some of you eat when in a hurry?

The answer for this is actually dependent on your reasons for eating "clean" and moreover on your definition of clean.

If you're just looking to increase nutrient density and lose weight and be healthy, then I wouldn't worry about it at all unless fast food becomes the majority of your food selection, which I doubt is the case.

If you have a moral obligation or medical reason that mandates that you completely abstain from certain food items then clearly you should abide by that. Otherwise, how about just go and have fun with the gals OCCASIONALLY and enjoy some fast food while making reasonable choices?

Short answer:
    Chipotle Burrito Bol with double chicken. 790kcal and a buttload of protein. Macro friendly.
  • courtlyn19
    Options
    Grab some peanuts and water...they will work together to make you feel full.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    when im out and about and really dont have access or options ..i will opt for the kids menu at any fast food place...and this of course doesnt mean it happens weekly or even monthly ...for me its a last resort option....lots of places carry soups now and those are great for killing a rumbling tummy...if your going for clean eating simply stop at a grocery store and pick up some fresh veggies or fruit and bottled water
  • cindywcs
    cindywcs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my tricks. I get salads, but I remove the cheese and croutons, get grilled chicken. Go with the light dressing on the side and dip your fork in it, then put the salad on your fork. The last taste you have is the dressing and you eat about 1/4 of what you would if you just smother your salad with it.

Obviously grilled chicken, seafood without the butter or heavy sauces are always a good choice. If you go hamburger go without the cheese and remove one side of the bun. That way you are eliminating some of the carbs. One rule I stick with...the closer my food is to the way it was intended in nature the healthier it is. Hope these are useful :)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Subway. Not ideal, but easy to choose a reasonable meal on the go.

I was going to say that too. Whenever I don't have time to pack a lunch, I go to Subway. I can get a filling sub loaded with veggies for relatively few calories.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'll third the Subway suggestion. Just about any of the sandwiches on a lighter bread and without cheese will work well.
    Another option is Wendy's chili, the small clocks in at only 210 calories, and like soup, it fills you up.
    For more food for your caloric buck, you can try Panda Express and get steamed mixed veggies rather than rice/noodles, and pick a lower-calorie entree such as broccoli beef, black pepper chicken, or mushroom chicken. I can't even finish my entire order, and it's under 400 calories while still being relatively clean in terms of high produce volume.

I rarely do the fast-food route, but I've looked up what's around my work and school so that I know what healthy choices I can make if I need to make a stop. This often happens on Thursdays when I have staff meetings and have to run to class afterward... sigh.
  • Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Omg! I been banning Panda Express from diet since I started not really viewing the stats. Its so many options I can have :-). Thanks!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    If I'm crazy rushed...

for supper?
    -have frozen brown rice bowls (from trader joe's) - just straight up rice- to pop in the microwave.
    -add canned black beans, a bit of shredded cheese, salsa, avocado, greek yogurt-
    delicious and healthy.

for lunch?
    -throwing veggies and meat or avocado, cheese and hummus in a wrap takes less time than driving to any fast food place.
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Carl's jr BBQ chicken sandwich. It's like 360 calories and is actually made of real chicken breast. Non west coasters version of CJs is Hardee's I think.