Totally DISGUSTED with myself!!!

I was doing great all day on my food intake and exercise. Then, like an idiot I drank three huge glasses of wine. Not only did I exceed my calories but I have a hangover. Why do I sabotoge myself this way?

Replies

• SugarBearRetired
    SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
    I was doing great all day on my food intake and exercise. Then, like an idiot I drank three huge glasses of wine. Not only did I exceed my calories but I have a hangover. Why do I sabotoge myself this way?
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Oooh, boy do I know THAT ONE.!!!

As you said, the worst part is the next day when you feel like poop and then you eat to feel better. You know, the 3 glasses of wine aren't THAT bad.........maybe 600 calories (you said large glasses :-) ).
    Just really try to be good today, drink lots of water....

I have been allowing myself 2 cheat meals per month. I dont do the whole day, just one meal and a "few" cocktails - but I plan in advance. I find that if I know I'm going to have a drink or two, I end up eating less at the meal as well. Hasnt' beent oo bada yet.

Hang (over) in there...!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I do that all of the time.

You saw that you were doing very well and thought you can get away with it.

Don't beat yourself up.
    Doesn't help at all.

You've learned your lesson right?... riiiight?? =D
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Bah! Total deprivation will make you sad no matter how much you weigh. Glad you gave yourself a break from it, so congrats! It makes the next week all that much easier, right? :)
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Hi! I just joined a week ago and the logging has helped tremendously. I have done what you did before and sabotaged myself. Just eat really healthy today (lots of water, fruits and veggies, which will help you to feel better anyway). One day won't destroy the whole thing. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT! :-)
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Stop kicking yourself sugarbear. It happens, heck I just had potato chips for my snack, why? Because someone bought them and they were there DUH. But I know I can just start with the next meal and it won't kill me, in the end I just won't lose a tenth of lb but man I really wanted those potato chips so i ate them. Do not mentally beat yourself up for it. Just do a 1/2 mile more on the treadmill, I plan too lol. Take care ~KJL
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    It's the guilt that comes right after that really gets you.

You feel so good while drinking or eating the yummy things.

I do say to give yourself a "cheat day" to get it out of your system.
  • SugarBearRetired
    Thanks you guys, I feel better. Yes, I'll drink lots of water and NO alcohol for a week.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Sugarbear, don't beat yourself up, just dust it off and go on, you can't undo what is done. Just be sure to learn from it. We all fall off the wagon at times, YOU...my friend, is just brave enough to admit it.
  • I have the biggest weakness in the world for sugar.. I just crave it... and when I eat it I can't just eat 1 cookie or 1 piece of chocolate I end up eating lots of it.... I think some of it is boredom I work as amedic on the oilrigs so I just sit around alot. I try and keep yself busy to not think about eating... but I just keep doing it!! ahhhh...
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    I can totally sympathize. My friends like to imbibe quite a bit, and whenever I'm around them, it's "oh, have a gin and tonic, have a glass of wine." Of course, one inevitably leads to another . . .

I've actually been in the situation where I've suddenly realized "*kitten* -- I just drank my dinner."

Only three solutions in this situation:

1. Willpower. Stop after one glass. I think I've managed to do this once.

2. Drink, but don't eat. Makes for a nasty hangover.

3. Remove temptation by not keeping booze in your house, and try not to attend too many gatherings where alcohol will be a fixture (such as the "birthday-mexican-theme-night / pitchers-of-sangria-fest) I attended earlier this week.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    I love to drink wine, too. There is something really romantic and sexy about it. I have been here, Sugarbear! I always think, oh I'll just have one glass, but that one glass leads to 2 and sometimes 3! All of these comments are so right, though. Show yourself some grace and put it behind you. Drink lots of water and flush your system. You might even try to sweat it out with a workout if you have time to fit one in.

I like the comments in here about having "cheat days". There are times when you just need to let your guard down... whatever the vice is.

Happy Friday everyone!!!
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    are you getting enough fruit in your diet? why do you drink wine?
  • cat_i_am
    cat_i_am Posts: 4 Member
    ?????? why do you drink wine????
  • denmother46
    Because it's there!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Children of the Wine:

When I started MFP I was drinking Margaritas - 2 every other day. No way to make them without lots o' calories, though I did come up with a great home-made recipe with no sugar.

I researched the alcohol calories: realistically I will still want to drink. Red (dry - Cabernet) wine is the best thing if you are going to drink: lowest in carbs and great antioxidants. I didn't really want wine too much until I switched my settings to 40%Carbs-40% Protein-20%Fat at the recommendation of my trainer. Then I couldn't arrange my food in a way to eat enough protein and still use up my calories. I started adding in the wine just for the calories (really!) - but now I'm going to try a protein powder to see if I can't get the wine out again.

cm
  • SugarBearRetired
    pamelawh- why do I drink wine? How many hours are you willling to commit to giving me therapy?
    I'm teasing, but really, we need to be careful not to judge each other.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    There is a really good organic wine that is full of antioxidants and no sulfites called Our Daily Red. Ok, you still probably shouldn't have the whole bottle in one night, but if you enjoy dry reds, this one is good.

We all overindulge in one thing or another from time to time. Hope you feel better this evening than you did this morning. :-)
  • denmother46
    SugarBear-
    It's a new day :-) Feeling better???
  • SugarBearRetired
    Much, thanks! I'm so hard on myself sometimes.