Vertical Sleeve 2 years out...

Options
I have gained back 9 lbs from my lowest weight after surgery. I am starting this program to get ahead of this trend. I don't know how I feel about the 1440 calories that they have assigned to me. Is there any way to factor in a tiny tummy and eating every 2 hours every day?

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, which works out to about every two hours. Not sure if you are worried your calories are too much or too little.
  • DSMAW
    DSMAW Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric imbrication (a sleeve without removal of stomach) back in September 2010 and lost 35lbs the first 4 months and have had a hard time losing anything more since then. I am only aloud 4-6 oz every time I eat and it is hard sometimes to hit that calorie mark or even some I go over because of what I did have was to high, but I needed to eat something high to hit my protein level for the day.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this is an issue.

MFP is indicating that about 1440 calories will give you a good weight loss experience. The cells in your body don't care how the nutrients get there, whether it comes in from a big stomach, little stomach, or an IV drip.

What do you think you need to "factor in"?
  • prbyjennyd
    prbyjennyd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are not familiar with the in's and out's of nutrition after gastric surgery, my body is only used to 1200 or less calories per day, with a minimum of 50 grams of protein per day. So that is what my question was based on. I feel a little attacked by your response and don't appreciate it.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Obviously you are not familiar with the in's and out's of nutrition after gastric surgery, my body is only used to 1200 or less calories per day, with a minimum of 50 grams of protein per day. So that is what my question was based on. I feel a little attacked by your response and don't appreciate it.

Hey Sleever... you will get this a lot on here. WLS is very taboo on here and people have the nerve to scold you for chosing any type of WLS. My advice is to add people that have had VSG as well. There are plenty of Sleevers (some in hiding) on MFP.
  • prbyjennyd
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words HMD7703, I will do exactly that!
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    WLS is not taboo on here - everyone uses their own tools to lose weight and find a healthy normal. I had someone tell me yesterday that I cheated because I had WLS. Really? Cheated? I don't call major surgery and not being able to eat the way I did before ever again, cheating.
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    I have gained back 9 lbs from my lowest weight after surgery. I am starting this program to get ahead of this trend. I don't know how I feel about the 1440 calories that they have assigned to me. Is there any way to factor in a tiny tummy and eating every 2 hours every day?

Just eat what you can every couple of hours and get your protein in first, just like right after surgery. You can set your levels to 1200 if that is where you are comfortable. Good luck.
  • lgerweck
    Options
    I am six months out from my sleeve surgery and have been using MFP to track since probably a week post op. There is a way to put in a custom amount of calories, protein, carbs, sugar...ect.. that you want to have as your daily goal.

If you go to your MFP homepage, and under "My Home" click "Goals" then "Change Goals" then click custom. From then on you can manually add all the info you want.

I don't think the calorie goals that my fitness pal automatically sets for everyone would work with the sleeve. I can, at most, eat about 800 calories a day. (thats with six meals a day and 70 grams of protein) I think mine was set originally for 1600ish... Impossible, I say!

Anyways, hope this helps! :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Have you gained the weight back while still eating less than 1200 calories per day? I ask b/c you say that due to your procedure your body is used to less than 1200 calories per day. If so, you may have encountered an issue that might be best dealt with by speaking to a dr. or registered dietician specializing in metabolic issues. I don't know much about the subject, just wanted to throw that out there and wish you good luck on your journey.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options

I've personally got no problem with gastric bypass surgery, lapband, or anything else. I've never heard of that severe of a reduction to only 1200 calories daily post-surgery. Granted I only know a handful of people who have had such surgeries, but each one was told to slowly move from liquids to soft foods to solid foods. Sometimes with complete meal recommendations. Never with a caloric intake maximum.

I'm not at all saying you're lying, I'm just wondering who told you this 1200 calories thing. I assume it was your doctor, but want to verify that is the case.

The Mayo Clinic gives no caloric maximum: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastric-bypass-diet/my00827

Duke Health gives no caloric maximum: http://www.dukehealth.org/services/weight_loss_surgery/care_guides/bariatric_surgery_diet_manual/the_recommended_diet_following_bariatric_surgery

The National Institutes of Health give no caloric maximum: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000173.htm

What all of this guidance gives you instead is just that: food intake guidance. Eat this, not that. Eat this much, not that much. Eat this frequently, not that infrequently, etc.

Where did this "1200 calories" come from?
  • lgerweck
    Options
    I would imagine that she is saying that 1200 calories is probably the most she can get in in a day - a vertical sleeve physically restricts the amount you can eat - usually 1/2 - 1 cup of food per meal. So, the reduction in calories isn't generally a "rule" it's just we can't eat the amounts that someone with a normal stomach can. I usually only get about 600-800 calories a day.

yaknowwhatimean?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    But if she actually gained weight while eating a max of 1200 per day (if she is quite sure of the calorie count), she might be dealing with a metabolic or other medical issue that needs to be addressed. B/c it's not normal to gain weight eating at that level unless you are a very very small person or have a specific issue that the average person your size is not dealing with.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey hun! I am a yr out from vertical sleeve. I was only eating 1200 calories or under but then I jit a stall. I am 12 lbs from goal. Here's the thing I learned. Don't take this as a hit to ur way of eating at all! But I realized after surgery there is a whole new way of eating. Eating clean whole foods as much as possible. I raised my calories to what mfp reccomends and I have been hitting the mark. First off I ditched the sugar free fat free everything. I do 2% milk. Low fat/ 2% cheese and sometimes even full fat. Avocados, nuts, fruit, butter. All will help give ur body nutrients and up ur calorie intake. Its possible. I have lost an additional 15 lbs since mid november by doing this which is good considering the farthur out u are the less weight u lose. If ur body is used to 1200 try upping 100 at a time til u hit the mpf goal. I don't do nasty protein shakes, eat good yummy food and somedays I reach 80 grm of protein a day. Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • JustLena75
    Options
    WLSer here *raises* hand, 7.5 years out of surgery, trying to lose the 20 I've put on. Lost 160.
    It doesn't matter. MFP will work for you, cal counts are accurate. You may just have to eat more frequently. One thing I have found is that now that I'm back to measuring my food, my restriction is still pretty good. I'm slowing down when I eat again and it is noticeable. Do what it tells you and it will work.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

So, you haven't been consuming more than 1,200 calories a day but you are gaining weight?
  • JustLena75
    Options
    While there are certain things you need to do following WLS (depending on which procedure you had), there really ARE no 'ins and outs' except for eating high protein and the fact that your quantities are limited at one sitting. I'm much further out though and can now eat 'normal people' portions, vs my old Jabba The Hut portions.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

You didn't make it clear why the amount of calories MFP has given you is a problem. ( too few? too many?)

Also if you want 1200 cals, edit your weightloss to 2lbs a week.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    First thing I would suggest is to ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist or dietician that specializes in people that have had WLS. It is helpful to diary your food daily for conversations with that person. Please note that it is very very difficult to get the micronutrients your body needs to function optimally on less than 1200 calories a day and so if you are going to go lower than that on a regular basis, you need professional monitoring and diet planning on an ongoing basis.

Your body will need to adjust to the changes that have been made due to the WLS, but also to the change in the eating habits that you have to make. Your body's "gauge" of full or not can not be trusted right now - it needs to learn what the right balance is again, just as you do.

I know of a friend that had stomach cancer and had his entire stomach removed and his dietician still recommends a minimum of 1400 calories for him. It means he's eating about 5 bites every hour or so of a variety of foods - no more meals for him. He sees his dietician a few times a month to plan out his meals, review his diary and ensure that he's getting enough micronutrients (even though he's on supplements - they aren't absorbed by the body as well as real food).
  • prbyjennyd
    Options

I've personally got no problem with gastric bypass surgery, lapband, or anything else. I've never heard of that severe of a reduction to only 1200 calories daily post-surgery. Granted I only know a handful of people who have had such surgeries, but each one was told to slowly move from liquids to soft foods to solid foods. Sometimes with complete meal recommendations. Never with a caloric intake maximum.

I'm not at all saying you're lying, I'm just wondering who told you this 1200 calories thing. I assume it was your doctor, but want to verify that is the case.

The Mayo Clinic gives no caloric maximum: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastric-bypass-diet/my00827

Duke Health gives no caloric maximum: http://www.dukehealth.org/services/weight_loss_surgery/care_guides/bariatric_surgery_diet_manual/the_recommended_diet_following_bariatric_surgery

The National Institutes of Health give no caloric maximum: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000173.htm

What all of this guidance gives you instead is just that: food intake guidance. Eat this, not that. Eat this much, not that much. Eat this frequently, not that infrequently, etc.

Where did this "1200 calories" come from?

Nutrition Needs After a Sleeve Gastrectomy Photo Credit scale image by jedphoto from Fotolia.com

Gastric sleeve surgery, also called sleeve gastrectomy, was previously the first part of a two-part weight loss surgical procedure. Now also a stand-alone procedure, gastric sleeve surgery requires the removal of between 60 and 80 percent of the stomach, according to Weight Loss Surgery. Unlike gastric bypass, your small intestine remains intact after sleeve gastrectomy, reducing the risk of malabsorption, which causes chronic nutritional deficiencies. Sleeve gastrectomy still requires dietary adjustments to meet nutrition needs, however, because the surgery severely limits food intake.
    Caloric Needs

Loss of between 50 and 80 percent of excess body weight occurs within the first six months to one year after you have this surgery, reports the Consumer Guide to Bariatric Surgery. Weight loss occurs because calorie intake decreases owing to reduced stomach size and your resulting inability to hold more than a small amount of food without vomiting. For the first few weeks after the procedure, your caloric intake is typically 55 to 700. Caloric intake increases to between 600 and 800 calories per day for the first one to two years post-surgery---a near-starvation level that can cause nutritional deficiencies. Once you reach your goal weight, caloric intake increases to 1,000 to 1,200 calories per day.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/345609-nutrition-needs-after-a-sleeve-gastrectomy/#ixzz1jwJbCrO5