How do you deal with a cheat meal?

Options
muwchck
muwchck Posts: 261 Member
Hubby and I are talking about going to Golden Corral for dinner since they are doing their 2 for $20 dinner special right now. Cameron loves it, because he can have whatever he wants for dinner. There's enough healthy choices that maybe I won't be too bad. Got a feeling that this is gonna be my cheat meal though. Gonna be hard to log with it being buffet and I can't really measure my portions very well. When ya'll do cheat meals, do you log them? What's the best option for dealing with a cheat meal?

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    if its not something that has its 'official' nutrition details available, i will just use nearest option in database, there is usually something in there thats near enough, and overestimate portion size if im not sure exactly how much i ate.
    I always log everything, even if its bad so i can properly track what affects my loss.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I smack it around and show it whos boss!!!!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Either find the closest approximation in MFP and log it, or just don't bother tracking it entirely and resume your plan tomorrow.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, find the best matches you can and log them.

There's also a buffet plate option in there..I'll use that sometimes when I don't have time to look up everything and figure out how many 10ths of a serving I had. I figure it's close enough and at least I'm logging something.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was a buffet plate option. I haven't been on the site but a week, so I'm still learning about the site. Thanks for the advice.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i prefer to log it just so i have some accountability. i log every single bite. i try to find the best matches on MFP if the place you are going to doesn't have a nutritional info.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I deal with it very well with a couple of chopsticks and a lot of deep fried sushi rolls. Then I either attempt to log it or just make an estimation. It's a free day - who cares!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i deal with it well. i don't feel guilty about it one bit, and i'm catholic. we feel guilty about everything!!
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If I eat something bad I don't track it lol but lately I force myself to work out to be able to afford to eat what I want once in a while.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i deal with it well. i don't feel guilty about it one bit, and i'm catholic. we feel guilty about everything!!

I think catholics are addicted to guilt actually

and OP...track as best you can, and what you can't figure out either don't track or just do a quick add calories for a couple hundred or so.
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Exercise that day....run uphill on a treadmill for an hour.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Savagely.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't log my cheat days. I don't log my exercise either...I normally do something,
    If I'm going to "cheat" it's going to be from the whole process and I know that I HAVE to get right back at it the next day :D
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I try to log as best as I can, but if it's just too difficult (as in, one or two *bites* of about a million multi-ingredient foods), then I log what I can, and estimate the remaining calories (try to be high, not low) and use the 'quick tools' 'quick add calories' for that meal.

I'll often then describe what I ate in the notes, so I'm not just 'fudging' or 'forgetting' what it is that I ate.
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    One bite at a time.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oh god Golden Corral.

I can't even go in there anymore. It's not even an option. They have a whole buffet of DESSERT!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The good way: Pick three items you just cannot pass up, and enjoy them. Practice your estimation skills and log them "generously". Work it into your plan.

The other way: Call it a free day/meal, and just go for it. Don't bother logging. Continue on as normal for your next day/meal.

I've done both. They both work. Worst thing you can do is feel guilty, and try to lie to yourself and your food diary about them. Every life will have either free days, or "indulge" meals... this is as good a time as any to figure out how you can best deal with them. :)
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I log it, but then I workout to make sure I still have calories remaining.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I log everything ... if your not sure how bad it is ... google it ! Days like this are gentle reminders as to why they exist ... One being to remind us to eat healthier and two as a reminder we are all human. There will be days like this, everybody has them ... you just have to work a little harder and get past the numbers ! Best of luck and enjoy your night out ! :)