Tastefully Simple

Options
I am new to this site only entering my second week. I am trying to loose 40# which I know is not going to be an easy task! I am excited to say that I have been under calories every day so far and have done my exercising religously. The problem is I have been invited to a Tastefully Simple party and I have NO IDEA how to even begin to imagine how many calories I take in. (For those of you who don't know about Tastefully Simple) it is a party where you sample small amounts of dips, foods etc from a catalog). I will not eat a regular dinner that night and I will have anywhere from 500-1000cal left over for the day. Any ideas?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    One meal won't make much difference and I doubt that you'll even get to your maintenance calories if you have 1000 calories to spare going in.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it takes 3500 excess calories to gain even a pound; I doubt you will get even close. Try to stick with the healthier options obviously, but don't worry too much. Additionally, a cheat meal a week is recommended in order to keep your metabolism functioning at its best. This can be yours! :D
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Gah, if it was me I'd decline the invitation because the majority of the party is "Hey, you! Hey you! Buy this overpriced dip mix!"

Sorry to anyone who sells it, but seriously? The stuff is way overpriced and generally not all that great for you.

If you go, you'll have mostly crackers, breads, pretzels, chips combined with dip and a sampling of poundcake / desserts.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    don't sample @ the party. eat your normal healthy meal before you go to the party. my theory is that you don't have to eat to enjoy yourself at the party (i have been to many of the T.S. parties) if you were well on your way to reaching your goal, i would say to induldge, but at the beginning, i would stick strict to my plan. i think everyone will understand, and you might even find that someone else is in the same boat as you and will appreciate someone else not eating, too. take home recipes, play the games and visit, but leave the fattening foods to everyone else. :smile:
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    drink a lot of water since there's a ton of sodium in the dips. And Enjoy!!!
  • PudgyPigeon
    PudgyPigeon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Research the nutritional information ahead of time and make good choices on what to try and what to skip. This way you know what you're taking in and you can set a limit to not pass. I just googled "Tastefully Simple Nutritional Facts" and a link for My Fitness Pal popped up... so you can log what you eat. Check it out-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/tastefully-simple
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I took my own baby carrots. My friends understood. I got to sample the dips with baby carrots (I wasn't going to order the breads/cakes/etc anyway). Next time, I will take a small baggy of celery sticks too.
  • julie11042
    Options
    I've been to a few Tastefully Simple parties and I know it's NOT easy to avoid the deliciousness!
    I would give a typical recommendation though on this one; everything in moderation, don't over-do it on the dips because you know they're made primarily from mayo and sour cream! If there's a veggie plate, stick with that instead of dipping bread or crackers. Having a few bites won't kill you for the day, especially since you'll have plenty of calories left over. Or, have more than a few and just hit the treadmill for 20 minutes to burn the calories off. I think the best/highest sucess rates in dieting and weight lose come from those who understand there are going to times when you slip or be naughty, only in moderation.
    Good luck with everything! :)
  • melissakay1q
    Options
    If you skip a meal, you're likely to be starving at the party and inhale too much empty, unsatisfying calories.

My suggestion is to build your day around the sampling. Aim for lower-calorie yet filling meals. You could have fruit and egg whites for breakfast, a salad with lean meat for lunch, steamed vegetables and a lean protein for dinner, and fruits or veggies for snacks.

You could rack up even more calories to play with by getting some exercise in! Get up early for a walk or take a stroll at lunch.

There will always be another party or dinner out. It's important to learn to plan ahead!
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I say taste and enjoy! One of the biggest lessons I've learned is its ok to indulge a little. But balance it out. Have a light lunch and supper. It is alright to enjoy food. Its alright to have a treat. This journey would be impossible if we didn't let ourselves enjoy the foods we love now and then. Don't feel guilty if ur over. Just say "that was yummy" and move on to the next meal sticking to ur plan. But don't say "well I already ate this so might as well....." I used to do that but now I realize its not all or nothing. Its one day at a time. And if u make good food choices 80 or 90% of the time a few treats will not harm your weightloss. Its called life people!