PCOS

Options
Hi,
I guess I am just wondering if there are others on here who have PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome). This plays a big role in my weight.
Is there something that you have been doing that works for you? I would love to hear some ideas to keep me motivated!

Replies

• carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I started a low carb diet the second week of December, per the RE. I'm also on 1500 mg metformin. The combo is helping me finally lose weight.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hello!! there are quite a few of us out there lol. There are a couple of groups you can join too :-))

I too low-carb, best (only) thing that seems to work for me...I'm happier and healthier than I've ever been.

Good luck on your weight loss journey
  • summer_m
    summer_m Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am also on metformin... but I have not seen much of a change since using it. I did the low carb several years ago but it made me sick because I was having issues with my gallbladder, but maybe I will have to try it again.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Another PCOS'er here. Remember there are 'sub-types' of PCOS - some entail insulin resistance (IR) while others do not. Here is a good place to learn about them. It breaks PCOS into five different profiles:

http://www.wdxcyber.com/dxinf001.htm

1. traditional PCOS -- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance
    2. endocrine syndrome X -- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
    3. non-traditional PCOS --anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes
    4. non-traditional PCOS -- ovulatory, increased androgens, mild insulin resistance
    5. idiopathic hirsutism -- ovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance

I fall into category 3. I have IR and hypothyroidism as well.

The only thing that has helped me lose weight is a combination of calorie counting, at least an hour of working out a day (minimum!), and 2000mg of Metformin. I realize everyone is different, but this is the ONLY thing that has worked for me personally. I'm not the type who can watch what I eat, only, and lose weight.... I need to *move*.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Yes, I have PCOS, and hypothyroidism. I'm a walking hormone disaster! LOL

However, I am on 2000mg of Met a day and my thyroid is finally balanced out too. I am able to lose weight if I work at it like everyone else. If you haven't already seen an endocrinologist, I highly recommend one. Mine helped me alot, telling what will and won't work, etc.

Alot of people on here follow a low carb diet for PCOS. I love my carbs, but have cut out regular pop and it seems to work for me.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Another PCOS'er here. Remember there are 'sub-types' of PCOS - some entail insulin resistance (IR) while others do not. Here is a good place to learn about them. It breaks PCOS into five different profiles:

http://www.wdxcyber.com/dxinf001.htm

1. traditional PCOS -- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance
    2. endocrine syndrome X -- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
    3. non-traditional PCOS --anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes
    4. non-traditional PCOS -- ovulatory, increased androgens, mild insulin resistance
    5. idiopathic hirsutism -- ovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance

I fall into category 3. I have IR and hypothyroidism as well.

The only thing that has helped me lose weight is a combination of calorie counting, at least an hour of working out a day (minimum!), and 2000mg of Metformin. I realize everyone is different, but this is the ONLY thing that has worked for me personally. I'm not the type who can watch what I eat, only, and lose weight.... I need to *move*.

Exact same with me! Good luck!
  • summer_m
    summer_m Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips ladies it is nice to know I am not the only one out there!
  • Sthiara18
    Sthiara18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and I just count my calories and exercise everyday or at least 3-4 times a week. I'm not currently on any medications and my doctor told me to stay away from soy and white (flour, pasta, etc.) foods. I've lost 20 lbs. since September and right now I am only eating 1200 calories seems to be working good for me.