It's really cold out, I wanna walk but..HELP ME

Options
My face starts hurting. -___- I enjoy walking usually, since my neighborhood is beautiful this time of year and I have time to listen to my music. BUT DAMMIT ITS SO COLD. Any ideas what I should be doing? I don't have any exercise equipment, just moved here. And I have a couple of exercise videos but I'm not very fond of them. I try to do yoga every day for twenty minutes as well :)
What do you do in these harsh winter months?

Replies

• Karkle14
    Options
    Get a neoprene face mask. They have breath holes and are pretty comfortable. I used to NEED one in college to get to and from class in the winter.

Good Luck!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Turn on music and dance to it.
    Get a jump rope and some hand weights for cardio and strength training at home.
    Walk around the mall.
    Find a few new workout videos or YouTube some in-home exercises.
    Do push-ups, sit-ups, squats, and leg-lifts.

Best wishes :)
  • Sebnem123
    Sebnem123 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    you can 'walk' in the room..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk
    walk off the pounds...
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    you can 'walk' in the room..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk
    walk off the pounds...

I second this. Leslie Sansone has some great Walk at Home videos. Her 5 Mile walk can be very intense, for an indoor walk! :)
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Get a fleece balaclava. Keep your face warm + you'll look like a ninja.
  • eliakrathore
    Options
    Lol if I wear one of those face masks someone will think i'm a terrorist. I live in a very white neighborhood..
    Thank you guys for your input!
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You could try to walk inside of a mall if you have one around, you may have tried this but maybe wrap a thick scarf around your face when you walk the hot air from breathing may keep your face warm.

Good Luck!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Lol if I wear one of those face masks someone will think i'm a terrorist. I live in a very white neighborhood..

If it's THAT cold no-one else will be outside so you should have nothing to worry about :laugh:

Where I live, it's -26C out right now with windchills in the -40s. THAT's cold!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It was -7F (that is without the windchill) this morning on my morning walk. Cold for sure, but I just put a scarf on and deal with it. I have a dog who NEEDS her walks no matter what the weather though, otherwise I probably wouldn't go out there! LOL
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Walk outside... yes it is cold here too and the wind was very harsh last night but I still went. Although it was for only 15 minutes and not 30 minutes. I walk my dog nightly (unless its raining) cold or not. I bundle up with heavy coat, scarf around my neck that goes up to my nose in front so I a breath in warm air and not the cold plus it helps keep my face warm, ear muffs and warm gloves. I still go. You just need to make sure you bundle up before heading out.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    <
    Pearl Izumi Balaclava. That one is 10 years old

Here's a link to the new ones:

http://www.cycleclubsports.com/p-63916-pearl-izumi-transfer-balaclava-black.aspx
  • Venus2011
    Options
    Try going on youTube and look for Leslie Sansone exercise videos or anything that you feel in the mood to do. Also YouTube has alot of exercise videos on it. Good luck
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree, hummingbird. Just commit to it and go. It was 6 degrees here today, and I really dreaded going out for my walk. I bundled up and looked like an idiot, but I got my 20-minute walk in. Yes, it's cold, but it's also healthy and energizing. Good luck!
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Got a mall or other large building you can do laps in? How about a local school with an indoor track?

If none of that is available check out bodyrocktv.com there is bound to be a workout that motivates you there!
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Jump rope in the house!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Jump rope in the house!

This is what I do
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone and Jane Fonda Walk at Home videos are great and incorporate ofther exercises in with the walking also. I have a great collection of them as this is how I got started. I always fall back on them when the going gets tough like cold weather and rain. Or too hot to enjoy the park.
  • LiquidSugarr
    LiquidSugarr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My face starts hurting. -___- I enjoy walking usually, since my neighborhood is beautiful this time of year and I have time to listen to my music. BUT DAMMIT ITS SO COLD. Any ideas what I should be doing? I don't have any exercise equipment, just moved here. And I have a couple of exercise videos but I'm not very fond of them. I try to do yoga every day for twenty minutes as well :)
    What do you do in these harsh winter months?

Pop in one of those exercise dvds or if you have Netflix they have some good workouts on there. Or throw on some music and do some jumping jacks, sit ups, squats, and push ups.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I second the bodyweight/calisthenics approach. Do a shorter walk outside (yes, yes, we should all just push through it...but sometimes you just have to work around your weaknesses instead of telling yourself to be stronger.), and then do bodyweight exercises at home. No equipment needed. For some ideas other than squats or pushups, look up bodyweight exercises on youtube. Do them interval-style, and you'll have a total body workout.

Good luck to ye!
  • msclairvoyant
    msclairvoyant Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Walk Away The Pounds! Just did 5 miles today. :)