struggling with night eating!!

Options
im used to eating at night .. 8-11pm just because its when im most bored .. inactive .. im really strugling at just NOT eating. altho i havent used up my daily calories its just not good to eat so late? any ideas?

Replies

• FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Maybe try limiting the foods you have access to in the house. Also, I find that if I brush my teeth and floss I'm much less likely to be tempted to snack.
  • HeavyHittah90
    Options
    the brushing and flossing does help! , but if you just cannot help the urge I suggest rice cakes! rice cakes and 2 bottles of water! itll swell in your stomache and make you full with only a few calories depending on which rice cakes you get wich they range from 25cal-65cal
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I find this to be a problem as well. But, I just don't eat. I stay out of the kitchen after I finish dinner and do not go back again. I painted my nails the other night to stay out of the peanut container. I go to bed early.

HOWEVER, if I have calories left, I am all in the kitchen eating as much as I can to AT LEAST my minimum calorie goal. I've not found that eating late has affected my weight loss at all.
  • Jeeenjohnson19
    Jeeenjohnson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to eat big all day and a bad habit I had was eating just before bed, so I literally just went cold turkey and now don't eat after 7pm except for maybe a low cal hot chocolate or something.
    It seems harsh but now when its after 7 and I want something I just say no, if I eat too close to bed time now I just feel sick so it's not worth it. I eat mostly in the morning then make food lighter during the day.
    If boredom's a problem maybe work out in the evening? :) or leave things like housework until evening time so your mind is preoccupied? If all else fails there are a lot of low cal jelly pots you can get that are only 5 cals a pot! I get those when I'm really craving something to eat :) hope that helps!
  • chunky_munky83
    Options
    i have the same issue, it really does come down to sheer boredom. i tend to either play scrabble online, and/or find some mundane task to do till im too tired to think about food. :D
  • lorabaybai
    Options
    aww thanks for the suggestions! yeah it pretty much is boredum.. busy all day with a kiddo and chores but at night when its time to just chill i get insane urges to eat .. feel hungry n so on!! be trying the jelly if i cant curb my temptations x
  • angelamarlene77
    Options
    I have the same problem...after the kids are in bed its my only time to watch TV and I always want something to eat when I'm watching a show. Last night I had a cup of hot cocoa and a couple pretzels. I've heard that brushing your teeth really does help, or chewing gum...but I think I'm not ready to go cold turkey yet. Will just stick to a couple low cal snacks.
  • chunky_munky83
    Options
    its a tough one, because some will say Eat jelly and slowly try to reprogram your brain, while others will just suggest trying to use will power to stop, i am a serial snacker, literally the kinda guy that will have a slice of bread and butter, at like 11 pm. its difficult to kerb the habbit but its about finding a way that works for you, if you snack or munch due to boredom, try and make sure something healthy is direct at hand, this may reduce the urge to fridge raid. :)
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...it's especially bad because I tend to stay up late. But I keep hearing that getting more sleep is important. (at least according to my wife), so hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone and bypass the late-night snacks.
  • lorabaybai
    Options
    exactly angela tottaly agree!!!! aw i know i stay up late also .. ive tried to go to bed early to curb cravings but i just cant seem to :( grrr lol x
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is our downfall. Put all the kids to bed and then it feels like it's time for a giant party which means all the snacks!! We do better if we play board games than if we watch a movie or TV, because it's hard to eat and play a board game at the same time. That helps a lot. Also if you are not against artificial sweetener a diet soda can really help. I also have a bag of Hershey Bliss Dark Chocolate with Caramel that I had one of last night. The only problem with that is that I'm tempted to (and easily could) eat the entire bag in one sitting. Which I have not.....this time.
  • lorabaybai
    Options
    This is our downfall. Put all the kids to bed and then it feels like it's time for a giant party which means all the snacks!!
    haa love that!! but yeah thats just what it feels like!! yeah little in moderation is what im now learning thanks to all the ppl on this site with good advice xx