Baby Weight!!! DISCOURAGED

Options
I'm 25 and had my first child 8 months ago.. I am 30 lbs overweight. I can't believe how my body has changed since childbirth. It's hard to look at myself in the mirror. I have been using MYFITNESS for a week now while working out 4 days a week at the gym for about an hr each day. I have GAINED a pound and I am getting discouraged. Is there something i am missing? Does it take three weeks before any kind of results? I'm new to this, and would like support from others but i'm not quite sure how this community works. HELP ME

Replies

• hugsnkisses1499
    hugsnkisses1499 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problems and im breastfeeding too!
  • BabyTire
    Options
    I KNOW!!!! I'm still breast feeding as well... I am really trying my best and have cut back on my eating like mad!!!! What are we missing???
  • valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough nutrients for breastfeeding-- you can put it into your food diary. You're not missing anything, it just takes time. Be patient, you're changing your way of thinking about food/exercise. It's a process, not an event.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Make your diary open and it would be helpful for us to check and see what you are doing.
    Also, don't eat too few calories when breastfeeding, as your body will hold onto weight more to make milk. Try for 1800-ish BEFORE exercising, more to eat your exercise calories back. Make them as healthy calories as possible.

It's a game of balancing, but don't give up so easily.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from. "
  • BabyTire
    Options
    I am eating 1200 cal. a day.... but when I exercise it tells me I can eat more, so i do. I am not exclusively breastfeeding anymore... it is down to twice a day. Am I in Starvation Mode??
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting AT LEAST 64oz of water (more would be better since you're breastfeeding). That water weight can be killer!!
  • Littlemama76
    Options
    That's the worst feeling. Don't get discouraged though! I'm new to using Myfitness too and am still trying to figure it all out!! I've only been back at trying to get in shape for a week or so, but I know from previous times (I have 3 kids and each time it's been a bit of a struggle) that when you start working out you gain muscle and so even though your scale isn't budging, the fat is coming off. I also found measuring myself helped keep me motivated in the past...it helped me see positive results that weren't always reflected on the scale. Good Luck!!
  • BabyTire
    Options
    thanks for this. I will remember it as I go.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1200 cal. a day.... but when I exercise it tells me I can eat more, so i do. I am not exclusively breastfeeding anymore... it is down to twice a day. Am I in Starvation Mode??

Probably not. But you do need to be patient and if you're breastfeeding regularly you need to eat back those calories too. Mostly just the patience thing. :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

I would up it by 200-ish calories a day, and see what happens after a week or two. Probably not in starvation mode, as a true starvation mode, but I'd say your body is probably trying to hold onto weight and fat to make milk for your kidlet. Drink plenty of water, too, like pp said.
  • BabyTire
    Options
    ok, i'm really going to focus on my water intake this week... This is a WONDERFUL tool... I am really pleased that people respond to posts. Thanks everyone, I appreciate it more than you know.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. 1200 is the minimum you're meant to eat. You're breast feeding and you HAVE to eat more. You won't be giving your baby the nutrients it needs.