Gym-barrassment!

Options
ErrataCorrige
ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
I was just at the gym running on the treadmill, listening to music on my phone at full volume, when my finger catches my headphone cord. My phone falls on the treadmill deck, headphones pop out, and phone flies under the treadmill behind me. I was listening to some really loud, really obnoxious punk rock music (No Empathy's "Pablo Escobar" , yay!) really, really loud.

The guy on the treadmill behind me had to stop his workout so I could reach under his treadmill to retreive my phone. Meanwhile, everyone in the whole gym is staring at me (and my butt) as i get down on all fours and root around to grab my phone and turn off the music.

:embarassed:

Please tell me your most embarrassing gym story to make me feel a little better!

Replies

• MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    ....I slammed my head into the pulley machine just last week. I scared the bejeebers out of the guys working out on the opposite side and since it's a cheap machine, it made a hell of a lot of noise.

I've totally done the whole drop the phone, throw the MP3 player routine.

I'm not known as the gym klutz....but I expected that honor to be given to me anyway.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I was just at the gym running on the treadmill, listening to music on my phone at full volume, when my finger catches my headphone cord. My phone falls on the treadmill deck, headphones pop out, and phone flies under the treadmill behind me. I was listening to some really loud, really obnoxious punk rock music (No Empathy's "Pablo Escobar" , yay!) really, really loud.

The guy on the treadmill behind me had to stop his workout so I could reach under his treadmill to retreive my phone. Meanwhile, everyone in the whole gym is staring at me (and my butt) as i get down on all fours and root around to grab my phone and turn off the music.

Please tell me your most embarrassing gym story to make me feel a little better!

this regularly happens to me. i swear the whole gym just goes silent when it happens. lol.

i don't think i've ever seen this happen to any one else.
  • ErrataCorrige
    Options
    ....I slammed my head into the pulley machine just last week. I scared the bejeebers out of the guys working out on the opposite side and since it's a cheap machine, it made a hell of a lot of noise.

I've totally done the whole drop the phone, throw the MP3 player routine.

I'm not known as the gym klutz....but I expected that honor to be given to me anyway.

Oh, ouchy! That hurts just to think about! Good thing you didn't knock yourself out!
  • ErrataCorrige
    Options

this regularly happens to me. i swear the whole gym just goes silent when it happens. lol.

i don't think i've ever seen this happen to any one else.

Must only happen to us cool kids. :wink:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Im a gym klutz. Um... klutz in general really. Ive gotten my head phone caught on the elliptical handles and ripped off me so many times its not funny. Except I learned to run it down my shirt now.... ta da! Last week I was taking a drink while jogging and went to stick my water bottle back in the holder. I missed and it hit the deck and water splashed the girl beside me. She looked super annoyed. I thought for sure I was going to eat it in the process of trying to catch it, pause the machine and avoid the water.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Decided I'd try to push my PB on the bench press, went up to a weight, did 4 reps and struggled, decided to go for a 5th, got the bar down to my chest and couldn't get it back up. Bar pinned me to the bench and tried desperately for 30 seconds to push it up - legs kicking everywhere, going red through lack of oxygen.
    Fortunately two lads noticed and came running over to pick it up.

NEVER go for a PB without a spotter.
  • oggers76
    Options
    My story took place ages ago... probably one of the reasons I no longer belong to a gym though.

The fella who sorted my induction set me up with one of those electric keys that saves all your machine settings. One day soon after that, I put the key into the treadmill and then noticed I'd left my water bottle on another machine, I bimbled off to retrieve my bottle, not realising the key had automatically started the machine at a fairly fast running pace. I returned to the treadmill and (don't ask how) attempted to step on it, without spotting that it was already going at speed. I completely stacked it. Actually quite hurt my hands and knees and was lucky not to smash my face up on the moving track bit. That would have been one hell of a graze to explain.

Anyway, the chap next to me, did what anyone would do and looked the other way while trying to stifle his laughter and once he had got his *kitten* together, eventually asked if I was ok.

I really am so stylish. I'd swap having everyone hear my choice in punk music at volume any day.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    don't feel bad, that happens to me all the time, only my music turns off when my headphones rip out of it. i'd say i catch my headphone cord at least 1x every 2 weeks and end up throwing my phone on the floor. i've seen other girls do it too :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I def managed to get through a set on an assisted weight machine (no idea what they're actually called) backwards. Now I make sure to double check the little illustrations first.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I once did an entire 1 hr gym workout with fluorescent green play-doh stuck to my butt. I was wearing black gym shorts and it was obvious. Apparently I had sat in it at home before leaving to go to the gym and didn't notice. It was stuck real good because it survived 45 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of weights. I did notice people looking at my butt, but I thought it was because I was a fine specimen of womanhood. Apparently NOT!

No one told me the whole time...until I was leaving. Arrrggg. I promised myself I'd help the next person out in a similar situation and tell them immediately.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I would have had to stop my machine and go into the bathroom. For sure, I would have wet myself laughing so hard, being utterly greatful it wasn't me. If it was me, I would have wet myself laughing right in front of everyone, making it even worse.
  • irondaph
    Options
    I was doing heavy overhead squats and got stuck at the bottom of the squat..I fell backwards on my butt while the loaded bar went flying forward, not my most graceful moment!
  • Cacopeland
    Cacopeland Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had almost the same thing happen today... BUT instead of punk music I was listening to my kindle read my textbook for class tomorrow night... sounds perfectly innocent right? EXCEPT that I am a women's studies grad student and like every three words in the chapter I am on is like sex or vag, and I'm at the Y in a room with three lil old ladies... I am sure I will be known as the YMCA trollop from now on!
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My story took place ages ago... probably one of the reasons I no longer belong to a gym though.

The fella who sorted my induction set me up with one of those electric keys that saves all your machine settings. One day soon after that, I put the key into the treadmill and then noticed I'd left my water bottle on another machine, I bimbled off to retrieve my bottle, not realising the key had automatically started the machine at a fairly fast running pace. I returned to the treadmill and (don't ask how) attempted to step on it, without spotting that it was already going at speed. I completely stacked it. Actually quite hurt my hands and knees and was lucky not to smash my face up on the moving track bit. That would have been one hell of a graze to explain.

Anyway, the chap next to me, did what anyone would do and looked the other way while trying to stifle his laughter and once he had got his *kitten* together, eventually asked if I was ok.

I really am so stylish. I'd swap having everyone hear my choice in punk music at volume any day.
    Lol
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Dude I've dropped my ipod on the treadmill so many times I don't even notice anymore. Everybody at my gym knows where that clanking noise is coming from now so they don't really notice anymore either. It's just an understanding between us all that I get tangled in my headphones or my feet fairly often and I'm going to bite it from time to time. :laugh:
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I work in a gym and I've done more embarrassing things while on shift than I have while going to the gym to workout.

The one day I was vacuuming around the chest press benches and somehow smoked my head HARD on the barbell. It made a HUGE sound and hurt SO bad. There was no one in the gym at the time, thankfully. But if there had been, it would've been horribly embarrassing. Another time, I hit my head (I'm sensing a pattern) on the corner of the cupboard we have on the wall that holds sweat towels for gym go-ers to use. The gym was full at that time but I'm not sure if anyone noticed or not because I ran away really quickly lol. It was also painful.

I did fall off of a treadmill once but it was in a deserted hotel fitness room so that was a relief. Although I hit the wall and there was a video camera in there...I wonder if any security guys saw it? Haha
  • ErrataCorrige
    Options
    I once did an entire 1 hr gym workout with fluorescent green play-doh stuck to my butt. I was wearing black gym shorts and it was obvious. Apparently I had sat in it at home before leaving to go to the gym and didn't notice. It was stuck real good because it survived 45 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of weights. I did notice people looking at my butt, but I thought it was because I was a fine specimen of womanhood. Apparently NOT!

No one told me the whole time...until I was leaving. Arrrggg. I promised myself I'd help the next person out in a similar situation and tell them immediately.

Damnk ids and their playdoh! Lol, this is funny, but I am sure it wasn't at the time!
  • ErrataCorrige
    Options
    I had almost the same thing happen today... BUT instead of punk music I was listening to my kindle read my textbook for class tomorrow night... sounds perfectly innocent right? EXCEPT that I am a women's studies grad student and like every three words in the chapter I am on is like sex or vag, and I'm at the Y in a room with three lil old ladies... I am sure I will be known as the YMCA trollop from now on!

Oh my gosh, this actually really makes me feel better. So embarrassing, but really, really hilarious~!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Once my shorts totally blew out during squats. Thank god I work out at a small Y and there were only like 2 very oblivious old people in the room. Another time I farted when I was doing decline situps. There is no way to save your digninty in a moment like that. You're just screwed! haha
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Once my shorts totally blew out during squats. Thank god I work out at a small Y and there were only like 2 very oblivious old people in the room. Another time I farted when I was doing decline situps. There is no way to save your digninty in a moment like that. You're just screwed! haha

OMG glad I wasnt taking a drink when I read this, it would be all over the computer. Too funny.