Knee problems make it hard to work out. Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had the 13th surgery on my left knee in 2007. 13 in about 30 years. It was a total knee replacement. I don't have as much flexion in that knee as I do in my right, but I can still do my walking, hula hooping, zumba and body pump. Oh I also do water work...swimming mostly and water planks for balance. I have to vary some of the ways I do things, but I still get a good cardio and weight training so that I don't lose anymore muscle mass as I lose my weight. I don't do the bikes normally, but if I do, it's not too fast or high tension. Cannot run, so I do walking on the treadmill. There are a lot of things you can do, but if you have to have another surgery, see if it can be done arthroscopically...much better and shorter recovery time, take it from me, it's better to go ahead with the surgery than to put it off and possibly do more damage than there already is.
  • agidius
    agidius Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I've got an arrow to the knee..
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Find a gym with a pool and learn to love the water until your knee heals completely.
    And do not - do NOT listen to any fool who'd tell you to work through the pain or some such foolishness as that.
    Let your body heal, but don't stop exercising.

Swimming is great for cardio as well as toning muscles. If it were me, I'd use this time to get in perfect shape, then as soon as the doctor gave me the OK, begin one of those intense 12 week programs where I take it all to a new level.

Good luck!
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Tighten your inner thighs and glutes, it helps prevent dislocating << I know from experience!

yoga, pilates, cycling, swimming are all easy on the knees :) sumo squats and many other exercises to help build your inner thigh. good luck :)
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It sounds silly for someone young but try some workouts designed for the elderly. Joel Harper has some vids like 'firming after 50'. The elderly often have joint issues and this could offer you some alternates or workarounds.

I always joke that I have the knees of a 75 year old man...*sigh*. That's a good suggestion though, thanks :)

My doctor actually told me this! :( Bone on bone arthritis because of putting off a surgery, don't put it offff!!!!!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery and I think I have to have it again soon but I am not going under the knife till I lose all my weight. I got a knee brace and it has really helped. I run, bike, spin and Zumba and feel pretty good. Every once in a while it pops but it only hurts for a second then I'm OK.
  • Pearson221
    Pearson221 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the biking: the stationary bikes in gyms don't allow the fine-tuning of seat height necessary for optimal use. I don't use stationary bikes for that reason. When the weather is nice, go outside on a "real" bike!

I've had knee surgeries (both knees!) and the key is to find exercises to strengthen the hamstrings. Can you make an appointment with a physical therapist?
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I dislocated my right knee a few years ago while at the gym...shoved it back into place and ended up breaking off bone, which had to be removed in surgery. I have since lost 23 pounds and built up a lot more muscle than I had before. I have done it through Yoga, and specific leg exercises. I know you said you don't want big legs, but the leg muscle is what will help keep the knee from having further injuries. You can get a knee stabilizer brace that will help keep it from sliding while you work on building the muscle. If you have any fat on your legs, you will lose it as you gain more muscle - being that muscle burns fat. In the end, you will have nice toned strong legs that will support your knees properly. I recommend the elliptical and the bike for cardio - basically anything that will prevent impact. I also recommend doing the leg press, leg exensions and leg curls - starting at a weight you can tolerate and working your way up.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a recumbent bike or a seated elliptical?
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    yoga :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    You're the first person I've seen on here who has had an eating disorder. I did too. I was anorexic and was afraid that I'd get back to where I was(too thin) but so far so good and I have several pounds to lose yet! Maybe we should start our own group. It's hard to believe that I'm as big as I am now after being so thin! I'm now 166lbs. Lowest weight was 99lbs. Yikes!
    As far as the knee problem, walking has helped me a lot. I don't know what kind of problem I had because I never saw a Dr. for it, but walking on a treadmill at a slow pace then gradually increasing the speed completely cured my problem. I couldn't even roll over in bed because the twisting hurt so bad! I'm now up to 3-4 miles a day and even jog some but I just started Christmas Eve. Also, like some others said, try walking or running in place underwater. Ive even seen underwater treadmills. Good luck!
  • adamsidea
    adamsidea Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my wife is rehabbing from from a complete ACL reconsturction and meniscus removal. What we have found is that walking on the treadmill helps and the seated bikes really help. Not the spin style bikes but the bike where you seated with your butt and back supported. It works really well for her.
  • meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Coming from a physical therapy perspective (I'm a PT student), do LOTS of strengthening of your hips and ankles in addition to your knees (look up gluteus medius exercises). You have to be strong up and down the chain. Also make sure you have good footwear to work out in. Good shoes are very important to keeping your knee protected while working out.

As for the bulky legs, I feel you. I used to be a dancer and my legs bulk up like crazy. What I've found is my legs tend to bulk up at first, but eventually they tone up once I start to lose fat. I think what other people have suggested in terms swimming, pool exercises, yoga, pilates, etc would be great ways to tone up.