Taco's

Options
j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
I made tacos lastnight and they were so yummy. I used the package as the taco mix and not only is it pretty high in calories but its also high in sodium(sp). I use almost 100% lean beef I don't like the ground turkey. I used a little bit of meat and loaded it with veggies and salsa lastnight but I would love to enjoy more meat. Does anyone have any recipes to use instead of the mix????

Thank you

Replies

• oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    when i make beef mince i use vegetable stock cubes, tomato purree and cajun spices :drinker:

yum! and way nicer than a jar of sauce with a load of calories! im fairly fussy! :laugh:
  • icandoallthings
    icandoallthings Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Here are the ingredients to make your own:

This way, you can control how much of each (especially sodium)
    that you want to add.

Taco Seasoning

1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

- Erika :smile:
  • ndiamond
    ndiamond Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do fajitas because more protien. I marinade in low fat kraft italian dressing for like 30min. Then I just throw in a pan and cook. You can still enjoy the same toppings but use lean beef strips or chicken breast. :) Throw the leftovers on lettuce and add a dolup of sourcream for a great salad!
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    We like spicy in our house, so I usually, just take salt, pepper, garlic, onion and some hot peppers from the grocery store and mix in to taste. Sometimes we add ground red pepper(cayenne) if we dont have any peppers at home.
    I make Chili the same way, but add in Beans, corn, mushrooms, can(or 3 fresh) of diced tomatoes(jalepeno or italian flavor) and a can of heathly request chicken and rice soup.
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use the super lean beef and brown it with diced onions (sometimes) and just sprinkle with black pepper and garlic salt...I find my family loves it more than the actual taco seasoning! YUM, maybe we should have those for dinner tonight...:bigsmile:
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, not particularily fond of ground turkey.
    I use the 4% ground beef, add cumin, chili powder and garlic powder,
    or for a little more kick, a small can of roasted chipotle tomato sauce.
    We use the whole wheat tortillas and make soft tacos.........
    load those babies up with lots of veggies and salsa.
    Yummo!! or should I say Ole'!
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    Thank you so much. I also use the whole wheat tortillas I much rather have that. Also I always use whole wheat pasta. I pefer it actually. I just haven't gotten a taste for the ground turkey. I have tried and just cant.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    just add a little salsa and leave out the rest of the seasonings.
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    I know you don't like ground turkey, and to be truthful, I don't either. But a coworker mixed taco meat half/half with with ground beef and turkey. I couldn't tell the difference and have been a believer ever since!!! I don't like the texture of ground turkey, so mixing it took care of everything!
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    I know you don't like ground turkey, and to be truthful, I don't either. But a coworker mixed taco meat half/half with with ground beef and turkey. I couldn't tell the difference and have been a believer ever since!!! I don't like the texture of ground turkey, so mixing it took care of everything!

That is a good idea. I might do that.
  • rabbit45
    rabbit45 Posts: 36
    Options
    Have you tried ground chicken? We also hated the ground turkey, but I like ground chicken better than beef!