Getting bored.

Options
I own a treadmill, so the past three weeks I have been using that to workout, but yesterday and today I found myself with little to no desire to go on the treadmill. I don't have money to go to a gym, so I have to find something to do at home. But I don't see myself getting on the treadmill for much longer. It's getting boring, and I need something new-something harder.
Any suggestions??

Replies

• nickurbin
    nickurbin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to change it up too or I have to have a specific thing that I am training for. May I recommend, you looking for a local event that has a 1 or 2 mile fun run. Then, have a goal for the race like finish the race comfortablely, specific time, or a certain pace the whole race. Then, award yourself for doing it the race (Non-food related - like a new pair of shoes). Use the reward as way to remind you of your achievement. You can look into training programs for the treadmill. Couch to 5K. Other crucial thing for me is great music while running. Enough about running.

What about an activities with friends/others? You then have accountabilty plus might be fun and not so much work. Play basketball, soccer, or etc. I will do some more brainstorming. Good luck. If it was easy, everyone would be fit. Hang in there. You can get where you want to be.
  • ericalyn93
    Options
    I have to change it up too or I have to have a specific thing that I am training for. May I recommend, you looking for a local event that has a 1 or 2 mile fun run. Then, have a goal for the race like finish the race comfortablely, specific time, or a certain pace the whole race. Then, award yourself for doing it the race (Non-food related - like a new pair of shoes). Use the reward as way to remind you of your achievement. You can look into training programs for the treadmill. Couch to 5K. Other crucial thing for me is great music while running. Enough about running.

What about an activities with friends/others? You then have accountabilty plus might be fun and not so much work. Play basketball, soccer, or etc. I will do some more brainstorming. Good luck. If it was easy, everyone would be fit. Hang in there. You can get where you want to be.

Thank you for the tips! I do love to play "Just Dance" with my friends, and let me tell you-that is a great workout! And it's fun! lol
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing intervals on the treadmill?
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If you have cable like Comcast or Verizon Fios onDemand usually has fitness programs that are free so you can do strength training like lunges or work on your arms with 5lb weights or even yoga.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,113 Member
    Options
    Netflix streaming has a lot of workout videos. Youtube has a bunch, too.

Your local library probably does too.

• nickurbin
    nickurbin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will look into it. We have Dance Dance Revolution which is fun exercising.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I watch Netflix on my phone while I'm on the treadmill. I usually walk or jog and watch an episode of a TV show or part of a movie. That helps me not get sooo bored.

I second the idea of intervals on the treadmill, too.
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing intervals on the treadmill?

This.

On Tuesdays, I run the following: .10 miles @ 3.6mph, .15 miles @ 5.0 mph, .25 miles @ 5.5 mph, .10 miles @ 3.6mph, .15 miles @ 5.0 mph, .25 miles @ 6.0 mph. I then repeat that for as many miles as I have time for. The time really does fly by.
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    utube has lots of free videos too - if you have access to the internet..
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i think they make running companion dvds for you to play, that help motivate you, tell you when to increase speed, slow down, etc.
  • tracyruz
    Options
    I train mostly on my treadmill at home because I live on a back road that isn't safe to run/jog on because there is no sidewalk or burrum and cars tend to speed. So to make my treadmill work out interesting I have it near a window so I can look outside, I have a fitness magazine on the book rack of the treadmill and put it on a page that has someone running or in good shape to inspire me. I also challenge myself to do sprints at a really fast pace for 1 - 2 minutes. I watch Netflix on my phone and get motivated by watching Biggest Loser episodes! To watch their transformation is inspiring to me...and the more distractions for me the better it goes. I have also downloaded books to my iPod and will find that I stay on a little longer to finish the chapter...hope that helps and keep on moving! :)
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Get some audiobooks.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Have you tried c25k or bridge to 10k. Aim for a local fun run or try and increase your distance/speed. Set yourself mini goals
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to mix it up with some other fitness routines! dvds can be good, you could also start lifting weights. personally i am in love with bodyrock.tv...short HIIT workouts that you can do at home.
  • Shoewhr
    Shoewhr Posts: 14
    Options
    I own a treadmill, so the past three weeks I have been using that to workout, but yesterday and today I found myself with little to no desire to go on the treadmill. I don't have money to go to a gym, so I have to find something to do at home. But I don't see myself getting on the treadmill for much longer. It's getting boring, and I need something new-something harder.
    Any suggestions??

Try the Firm videos. I don't have much progress listed here because I just joined but I lost almost 70 lbs since last year. It includes various workouts; cardio, kickboxing, strength training, dancing. Good luck!