Transitioning from Lean Cuisine to fresh foods? -need advice

Options
Hello all,

So today is day 5 of my weight loss journey. I've been doing good so far-- hitting the gym and staying under my cal everyday. The only issue i'm concerned with is that I've been consuming many processed foods (i.e. frozen foods such as lean cuisine, healthy choice, etc. and a lot of 100 cal snack items). I've been eating low cal meals but find myself hungry immediately after my meals/snacks. I would reeeally like to transition from the frozen foods to healthy foods.

Anyone have ideas/recipes on fresh and easy meals I can make? I've looked at some recipe websites (which are great!) but I'm just concerned that since I would be making food for just me, I'll have a lot of leftovers everyday or end up eating the same things over and over to get rid of leftovers (boring!)

Any advise??

Stats:
SW: 252
CW: 249
GW: 130

-JazzberryJam

Replies

• theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for recipes for breakfasts, lunches/dinners, or snacks? Or all three?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I often cook for me and my boyfriend so I don't make large portions... Check out my blog - lots of great easy ideas.
    marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com

SW 303.4 (1/1/2011)
    CW 205.2 (down 98.2lbs)
    GW 160-170lbs (haven't fully decided!) :)
  • alexbowser
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com Definitely my favorite recipe site, lots of easy meals.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Make it large and freeze it. There are a lot of recipes if you check that section of the forums. Make sure you mark it with calories / serving size if you don't freeze it in individual servings. If you plan you can win.
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    I often cook for me and my boyfriend so I don't make large portions... Check out my blog - lots of great easy ideas.
    marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com

SW 303.4 (1/1/2011)
    CW 205.2 (down 98.2lbs)
    GW 160-170lbs (haven't fully decided!) :)

Bookmarked you, looks good :) Thanks
  • nownorma
    nownorma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to applaud you for transitioning to fresh "real" food! My advice to you is to keep it simple. Grill chicken or fish or beef (unprocessed and hopefully without hormones and other bad stuff) with seasonings of your choice, cook some brown rice with maybe garlic and chicken broth, with some simple vegetables -- either raw salad or steamed or roasted in a tiny coating of olive oil. It doesn't always have to be a "RECIPE" per se. That will help you to not make big portions and have them hanging around or get bored with them. :smile:
  • msbrown17
    Options
    I totally agree with charliebarley make more so you have leftovers less work the next day plus you will be less apt to splurge on something you shouldn't have. You are going to feel so much better once you start eating clean and freeing you body of all those chemicals.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The BBC good food website has a healthy recipe section on it.... there are some really great recipes on there!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/wellbeing/

Good luck on your journey! Cooking fresh food from scratch for the most part is easy & fun, I hope you enjoy it!
  • Aimelish70
    Aimelish70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This website has a lot of cool recipes. http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I cook bigger batches and use them in several meals. I buy split chicken breast when its .99/lb at my store and cook it in the crockpot. Then I shred it. Last week I put it in a stir fry with loads of fresh veggies and put it over rice. Lasted me 4 meals. This week I just did it plain so tomorrow i will have it in a salad one meal and over rice the next.
  • Aimelish70
    Aimelish70 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on how many calories I have left I find a lot of sites with recipes under 500 calories, under 400 calories, etc. It's probably better to plan out your week and shope accordingly so that you don't find yourself stuck. Also keep some of the lean cuisines in your freezer just in case you come home and just don't feel like cooking. It's a safety net, but it works.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I started my journey eating a lot of 100 calorie packs and Lean Cuisines too. Here are some of my suggestions:

2 ounces smoked turkey on light rye bread with 1 wedge of garlic and herb Laughing Cow Light spread on it, topped with cucumber and red onion (about 200 calories)

1 corn tortilla (small) topped with 1/4 cup refried beans, chopped sweet onion, diced red pepper, and diced jalepeno; cook for about 15 minutes at 325; remove and top with 1 ounce light Mexican shredded cheese; melt cheese; remove and top with 1 or 2 tb of fat free sour cream. This can run you about 250 - 300 calories. I make this for me and my hubby and we both LOVE it.

2 ounces peppered ham on light rye bread with mustard, 1 ounce of 75% reduced fat Cabot sharp cheddar cheese, onions, red peppers, hot peppers. This is also very low calorie, probably about 260 calories.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. Good luck to you!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, are your calories set to below 1000 per day? It looked that way to me based on your diary. Just be careful not to loose the weight TOO fast, hon.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, are your calories set to below 1000 per day? It looked that way to me based on your diary. Just be careful not to loose the weight TOO fast, hon.

See that a lot when we are incorrectly focused on controlling weight by controlling calories instead of controlling hunger and insulin.

Controlling calories leaves you hungry, slows your metabolism, and if done to extremes is dangerous.

Controlling hunger and insulin is as easy as eating real, whole food including meat, fish, foul, eggs, and their fats, combined with low starch vegetables.

I highly recommend the OP adjust her approach to one based on eating real, whole food (non-starch based) instead of this dangerous combo of low calorie, low fat. Since the OP is switching to whole food it seems like an ideal time.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    when i lived by myself, i definitely made enough for 3-4 people and portioned the leftovers out. it was amazing to be able to just grab a container and go or stick something in the microwave when i got home from work. most will keep for a couple days.

now, i do the same thing, except my husband usually eats it first!
  • amygirl1112
    amygirl1112 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is all such great advice!!! I to will make just simple meals from grilled chicken, veggies, eggs/egg whites. I'll make enough for at least two meals or I'll put left over grilled chicken in the freezer. Then if I'm ever short on time I've got some lean protein that i add a fresh veggie and whole grain carb to and I have a meal. Body for Life is how I originally learned how to "clean eat". It teaches sensible eating and portion control with real food. No processed.
    Keep up the good work and continue to learn about eating clean. It's the best thing for you!!!
  • JazzberryJam
    Options
    Hey all! Thanks for the great recipes and websites. I was looking for lunch and dinner (prefer to just have some special K cereal in the morning since I don't really have time to make anything special).

My goal for net cal is set for 850/day. I've been exercising 1-2x/day and have been burning around 700cal/day so I've been eating in the 1500-2000cal (with exercise). What are your thoughts on this? I set this because I wanted to lose 3lbs/wk (in time for my 8/25/12 wedding) but I would rather lose weight slowly and surely rather than quickly. What do you think would be the min cal I can consume without overdoing it?

I clearly need help on this! Any and all advise are greatly appreciated!

-Jazzberry Jam
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com Definitely my favorite recipe site, lots of easy meals.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this site!!! All my favorite recipes and more, AND my kids love them too!!!!
  • tatipose
    Options
  • JazzberryJam
    Options
    ooo checking it out now and loving it! thanks for sharing all! :)