Looking for Advice

Options
Well I made my goal of 100 lb lost last year. And every since I met my goal I have maintained my weight. Eating the same and working out even more. I am baffled. My trainer says that is normal and we are just going to add more cardio.

I am eating 1800-2000 calories a day and alternate days of lower carb and normal carbs, higher protein and lower protein / low sugars. This method has worked so far for last year. My work out are 6 days a week. Interval training twice a week with my trainer and 1.5 - 2.0 mile walks the 3 other days and 1 hour in the pool to workout the other day. The first week of the year I actually worked out twice a day for 4 days and I gained one pound that week. I have tried to reduce calories and that did not work. So when people say a pound is 3500 calories and I eat 2000 daily, mathematically I should be loosing 3 pounds a week just based on calorie deficit.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions on how I can kick start my next 100 pound down for this year. Really feel that I am putting in the work and now not seeing the results and that makes me mad.

Thanks
gb

Replies

• gbargsley
    Options
    No suggestions, usually pretty opinionated crowd...
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spike days? to shake up your metabolism. dont count for a day or so and then get back to it and hopefully that will shake it UP??
  • JAMESGRADY
    JAMESGRADY Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You will have to shock your body! More exercise and less calories. Try 1500 calories and double exercise. I am going to try visalus shakes. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.1213130.bodybyvi.com/&h=rAQHHznIB
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough to advise you but if you Post your question later this evening, there ususally is a lot more people. Or you could put your question in the search section above.
  • gbargsley
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Anyone else have suggestions.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spike days? to shake up your metabolism. dont count for a day or so and then get back to it and hopefully that will shake it UP??

I've hit 3 plateaus and spiking up started me losing again each time. Took a couple of days for the first pound to drop, but it did work.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your calories to account for the weight you've lost? I've made that mistake before. Congratulations on your loss btw! Maybe try searching for "breaking a plateau"; I know there have been a lot of posts on that. Usually it involves changing up your diet/exercise.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this blog, and it might give you some good advice:

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You say mathematically you should be losing three lbs per week eating at 2000 daily? A lb of fat = 3500 calories. To lose three lbs per week you'd have to eat a deficit of 10,500 weekly, or 1,500 deficit per day.

What's missing from the equation is how many calories you burn daily. You can't get it exactly, but there's all sorts of estimates out there. What is your BMR? What is your activity level? How many calories would you need to eat to maintain your weight at your current activity level? How does that relate to how many calories you are actually eating?
  • gbargsley
    Options
    A calculator from this forum on BMR shows I am at 3278 BMR. Like I mentioned I workout for 60 minutes a day for 6 days a week. I am pretty sedentary for my job as I am in IT. I do take the stairs (6 floors) up/down at least twice a day. I added about 15-20 minutes walks after I eat lunch.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie requirement for the day? You will only lose weight if you are burning more than what you eat.
  • Hit the weights! I noticed you don't have any days that you dedicate to strength training. Try to incorporate lifting into your routine at least 2-3 days a week - even if its only for 30 min! Building muscle is really important in weight loss, especially since you've already dropped a considerable amount of pounds. Muscle burns fat even while you're just sitting on the couch. Higher fat burn + higher metabolic rate = FABULOUS WEIGHT LOSS!! Keep that protien high as well
  • stacyw1975
    stacyw1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on your first 100 that is a great acomplishment! I lost and regained the same 130 pounds three different times. Four years ago II "figured it out" and have kept it off,but I have TONS of experience with "holding weights" MY advice is have patience and it will continue to come off. I don't know how many times I got to a certain weight and told my husband "that's it,no more is coming off." and he always reminds me "you say that every time and then it eventually starts up again." when you lose a large amount like that you really expect results,you get used to it.. I know I did. Keep doing what your doing, and in a few weeks I bet you will see the number on the scale start to drop again... good luck and keep at it! :)
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights! I noticed you don't have any days that you dedicate to strength training. Try to incorporate lifting into your routine at least 2-3 days a week - even if its only for 30 min! Building muscle is really important in weight loss, especially since you've already dropped a considerable amount of pounds. Muscle burns fat even while you're just sitting on the couch. Higher fat burn + higher metabolic rate = FABULOUS WEIGHT LOSS!! Keep that protien high as well

What she said ^
    I'd say drastically change your workout including strength training.
    Congrats on the 100 lbs!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I agree that strength training might be the boost you need. You might not see results at first, but it will help you out a lot in the long run.

There are metabolic changes that go along with weight loss. I am not educated enough to know why or how, but I know I have experienced that in the past. Building muscle is a way to change your metabolism so that it will burn more calories just by existing.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch to maintenance levels for two weeks, and reduce your workouts to 3 days a week. Give your body a weight-loss-mode rest, let it get nice and comfy in a maintenance routine. Then comeback strong into weight-loss-mode calories/workout to shock it back into dropping weight.

Your body will adjust to repetitiveness and compensate. A technique like this might work, and as long as you're not gaining on maintenance you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Or, the strength training mentioned already is a great suggestion too.
  • lovetheweighitfeels
    Options
    BUMP.