Giving Blood

Options
I'm sure this topic has come up a thousand times before, but please help.

I'll be giving blood tomorrow for the first time in over a year. What's the best way to ensure I replace the nutrients lost, but don't use this as an opportunity to over eat? I presume that extra sugar will be good for me, and I intend to eat maintenance calories or above, but any other tips?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to make sure that you drink plenty of water before and after so you aren't dehydrated.
    Eat a bit extra, but don't go overboard, your body is pretty good at replacing those blood cells, so although I usually take advantage of a free (small) Mars Bar, I don't think there is a great need to eat differently to usual.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Ah, thank you. I had trouble finding the calories, so I'm a bit vague on how much giving blood takes out of you.
  • delipidation
    delipidation Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just drink lots of fluids, starting now. The better hydrated you are, the less the loss of a pint of blood will affect you. Then drink lots more fluids afterwards. Eat normally.

Avoid heavy lifting with that arm for five hours. If there's any bruising at the donation site on your arm, put a little ice on it and avoid heavy lifting until it begins to dissipate. Wait 56 days and repeat. :)

I'm working on my 12th gallon at the moment, so yes, I've been around this particular block a time or two ... :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Don't neglect iron. You don't need a ton, but if you tend to run a bit low, eat foods that naturally have iron.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Follow their advice to the letter. I make sure I eat a meal before I go and have an orange or apple juice and a couple of cookies after I donate. Don't exercise for 24 hours after. & get lots of fluids.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I donated last Sunday and displaced calories were the last thing on my mind. Just stay hydrated, and if you feel lightheaded or anything afterward, sit down and rest. Maybe that would be an appropriate time to have a snack.
    I was more concerned about whether or not I could safely go to the gym for a workout afterward.