1st spinning class

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
A doctor at my practice has been wanting me to try a spin class (she rides bikes long distance and also does spin classes) anyway she bought an entire class out for tomorrow night for 10 people to do the class well my name is the 2nd name on the list and hers is the 1st and for the last week leading up to it she was keeps saying are you ready you ready for the class lol--

Lets just say this I hate those bikes I rather work my chest and biceps ( I hate working those muscle groups)

So if any of you have advice for spin classes feel free to share- I don't do classes in the gym (im not even going to my gym tomorrow I have to go somewhere else.)

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Haven't worked up the balls to do one yet - but from what I've heard, have a massage and a hot bubble bath ready. It's gonna leave you... rather sore, to say the least.
  • tstodd
    tstodd Posts: 8
    Options
    If you've never done one before, I would say don't try to keep up with the instructor - meaning don't crank up your resistance just because she says too. The first time I ever did a class, my goal was to keep pedaling and not throw up.

Good luck!!!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I hate those stupid bikes too which makes it worse- They hurt my *kitten* for days later- Not to mention I work my legs so intensely my quads and hamstrings are usually always sore and tight and those bikes don't make them feel any better either lol- But I won't quit that isn't an option
  • Dimason
    Dimason Posts: 11
    Options
    The first one is the worst, but yeah, definitely don't try to keep up with the instructor. Just work as hard as you can for as long as you can - keep pedalling - it does get easier!

And padded bike shorts are a godsend - I have a few pairs and despite them being the most unattractive things ever they do save a fair amount of the ouchness factor....
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I love going to spin classes. Remember the class is yours so set the bike resistance at a level you feel is comfortable. I would try to just pedal for the whole class. Get help setting up the bike from the instructor. Seat height, Handle bar position. Cycle shorts really help. They also have seat pads that you mount on the bike ask if they have one you can borrow. After you take a few classes your bottom gets used to the seat. Remember no one in the class is judging how you do so go have fun. It is a great workout. Remember to take a bottle of water you will need it during the class. :drinker:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I'm not worried about the people in the class they are all co-workers- I only agreed to do 1 class I said I would try it and thats what I am doing- I had to rearrange my workout routine to fit this class in my gym schedule.

So basically what I am getting is my *kitten* is going to be super sore because I am not going to get those biker shorts maybe they have the seat there I doubt it though- Worse case scenario I don't sit down. From what I hear I won't be sitting much anyway :grumble: --
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    the first time I took it , I felt the same way as you... But I got a gel seat cover at target for 10.00 and it is sooo much better,, Butt only hurts for a day, instead of 7. I love Spinning! LOVE IT!! Good luck!:drinker:
  • katyp26
    katyp26 Posts: 13
    Options
    i did ONE spinning class and the seat hurt so bad I couldn't even get off the bike at the end!!! other than that I would have really liked it...maybe I'll try the gel seat???
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Update: I did the class- It wasn't bad at all and it didn't kick my butt- I guess you can say all the cardio I had been doing had helped conditioned me I had it cranked up for resistance I really enjoyed all the standing hill jumps ect... I wasn't sore from the workout at all surprisingly didn't burn a lot of calories either-- Now as for that stupid seat my *kitten* area hurt for 2 days afterward it was horrible-

Final note- The class was fun had a good time with my coworkers- Had to workout after the class to burn some extra calories- I would do another spin class for FUN but not incorporate it in my weekly workouts-

So the next class we are talking about trying out is Zumba we want to see what all the hype is about that