Before and After Pic - 62 lbs. lost and running races!

I started MFP back in February 2011 and I have currently lost about 62 pounds. For the first time in my life, I feel and look healthy. As a child I've always been overweight and have never been pleased with way I look. To be where I am now, it is the most amazing feeling in the world. For once, I can actually start to see my abs! I know it's vain, but I've never been able to see my abdominals before.

beforeafter-1.jpg

Since I've started running, I've ran a few 5k races and I plan to run my first 10k in about a month. I'd like to thank my family and friends - especially here on MFP - for all of the encouragement over this past year. For those of you who are committed to exercise and nutrition, keep it up. The results will pay off over time - stick to your goals and work hard!

Replies

• triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Great job!!!
  • evseqvar
    evseqvar Posts: 51 Member
    Way to go!!!
  • denny_menter
    denny_menter Posts: 34 Member
    That's awesome. I lost 40 pounds a few years ago using a different tool, but it was the same concept. It's a great feeling to give away clothes because they're too big.

I'm also a fellow runner, relatively new to the sport. Keep at it. I started with 5 and 10Ks three years ago, have now run three marathons and am considering trying an ultra this year. Once the sport gets you it's really addictive.
  • Change_Agent
    Change_Agent Posts: 98 Member
    Way to go! You look so happy and healthy! Congratulations on overcoming those rotten childhood feelings. (I totally feel ya on that one!)
  • Drob1975
    Drob1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Great Job!!! What would you say was the greatest contributor/factor to you achieving:
    1. the weight loss
    2. The running.

I have always wanted to to get into running but the weight was always a factor.
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    @Drob1975 - My weight loss factors have been a combination of creating a reasonable, caloric deficit each day and scheduled exercise throughout the week. When I started my food diary, I still ate some foods that I loved, but within reason for that day. You really have to watch your portions to make sure that you are not eating too much throughout the day. I've always been a poor judge of serving sizes, but using measuring cups and a food scale have been very helpful. If you stick to a routine, then the weight will come off in time. For certain people, it might come off slowly or quickly. Just be patient - weight loss is supposed to be a gradual thing. As you start losing weight, you will have to readjust your calorie goals. I would also suggest to start slowly substituting better quality foods as time goes on, that way you break yourself into more nutritious foods. For snacks, good healthy options could be unsalted, raw nuts or greek yogurt for protein. If you like to eat sandwiches, use whole wheat or whole grain bread and lower sodium meat cuts. There's a lot of good, healthy options, and feel free to ask any of us here on MFP - we're here to help and encourage!

For the running, this is an area where, just like with the weight loss, it takes baby steps. I would suggest starting off with walking 20-30 minutes a day either on a treadmill or out in your neighborhood. Make sure it it a brisk pace, too! As your body gets used to it and you start losing weight, slowly start to incorporate some light jogging intervals. One way you could do this is by jogging 30-60 seconds then walking 30-60 seconds. Repeat several times for about 20-30 minutes. When you're body gets used to that, then up the intensity to maybe 2 minute intervals of walking/jogging. As you body starts to adapt to the cardiovascular exercise, your heart and lungs will become stronger allowing you to walk/jog/run for a more sustained period of time. Make sure you listen to your body, too! Only you know your limitations, so always be careful with any exercise you do, but, most importantly, have fun doing it!

I know it's a lot of info, but I hope it helps and encourages you, my friend! I wish you the best of success in your weight loss! Stay focused and don't put off your goals. If you desire something, then it will fuel your passion to obtain it in any way possible! Feel free to add me if you ever need a friend or any advice!
  • Drob1975
    Drob1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks, I look forward to one day have a post similar to yours.

13821050.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    You look awesome and definitely not vain at all to be proud of your abs. Thanks for laying out your strategy!
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Thank you for the info on how to ease into running. I've been wanting to do it for awhile, but I was afraid to start something too overwhelming. Your advice is totally doable!

Congrats on your progress!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Congrats to OP for the incredible weight loss and getting his health together. For those looking for a great beginner program into running try coolrunning.com's C25K program. It's super easy and very effective :)
  • sezz_25
    sezz_25 Posts: 60 Member
    Amazing feat! Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!