Exercise..

Options
Hi Friends I have few questions about exercise myth or fact...(obviously you can tell I have not much experience in the dept):ohwell:

I have read that it is absolutely no good to exercise late at night because you will not get a good nights sleep and will make you more restless than relaxed...is this fact?

If it hurts/burns it is working ...gee do I have to put my body thru pain to burn cal?.:explode: . (what about injury ea. knee)

Another one seem silly.but here it goes...is it best to workout before you eat or after?

thanks in advance for your inputs :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nailed479
    Options
    Hey!!!! I think that it depends on personal preference. Personally I have to workout first thing in the morning or if I wait til after work, I do have a hard time falling asleep. I have a lot of friends that workout later in the day and have no problem sleeping!!
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have read that it is absolutely no good to exercise late at night because you will not get a good nights sleep and will make you more restless than relaxed...is this fact?

If it hurts/burns it is working ...gee do I have to put my body thru pain to burn cal?.:explode: . (what about injury ea. knee)

Another one seem silly.but here it goes...is it best to workout before you eat or after?

I *think* the first is a myth. Or possibly it just depends from person to person? Some people might find exercise gives them loads of energy and therefore they can't relax enough to sleep. Others might find it tires them out and actively helps them to sleep :)
    #2 is, I think, true to some extent but only within moderation. If it's a "good" pain it just means you're pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and on to the next level of fitness/endurance/whatever. On the other hand, you don't want to actually hurt yourself!! Your body will be burning calories whatever you're doing that isn't on the couch, but it will be much higher if you're pushing the boundaries than playing it safe.
    #3: again, pretty much personal choice. It's often said that you need the fuel beforehand so the reserves are there to get your body into the swing of the exercise. But personally I find that eating and then exercising too soon doesn't go well for me! Think stomach cramps, feeling like puking, stich in the side! I try to leave a minimum of an hour and usually more like 2 hours between eating and exercise, but others will say that there's no way they could ever get moving without the food in there to fuel them. As I say, personal preference :)
    Happy exercising :D
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yeah think it is personal pref definately. I like to exercise in the afternoons but if I do it later than 5pm I really struggle to sleep and I do have to have a fairly empty stomach or else I feel too sick during my exercise. do what your comfortable with. The fact you are doing it at all is what counts :)
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Exercising gets your heart rate up. To sleep your heart rate goes down. That's probably the #1 reason, among a host of other hormonal reasons, why its tough to sleep after a workout. Try it. If you can work out at 11pm and sleep right after, more power to you. There's no hard and fast rule on the time of your workout.

Make sure the "burn" is in your muscles, and not ligaments/joints. If you feel pain in your thigh muscle, this is generally good pain. If you feel pain in your knee, this is generally bad pain. Make sure you have someone, who knows what they're doing, show you how to do the exercises so you know you're doing them right. Then you'll definitely know which is the good pain.

Fasted training has its benefits. But, generally, not unless you're getting to the lower ranges of body fat. Most overweight americans have so much free fatty acids around it doesn't matter when they train. Though, generally, its better to have a little proteins and carbs in you to make sure you'll have the energy to get through the workout.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I read yesterday that eating after exercise makes your body digest the food more efficiently, because your metabolism is raised. Not 100% sure on that one though.

For many people, exercise late at night can create adrenalin (and a bunch of other stuff), which makes it difficult for them to relax into sleep.

Any movement is good, it's important to know the different between a "good burn" which means you're going out of your comfort zone, and your body telling you to stop because you're hurting it.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends I have few questions about exercise myth or fact...(obviously you can tell I have not much experience in the dept):ohwell:

thanks in advance for your inputs :flowerforyou:

Regarding exercising late at night, I guess it could make a person high on adrenalin or overtired and so they may find it difficult to drop off to sleep.

With regards to pain (or it isn't working etc), if it hurts as in a sharp, sudden pain, stop doing that which is hurting. The pain is there for a reason, if you tried to continue, you could do yourself a mischief.

I never work out or train after eating and if I have eaten I usually wait approx. two hours before I get to it.
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have zero opportunity to work out before 8pm and (im on hiatus now because of eczema) on work out days I always slept better.
    I don't think you should have to be in pain for a work out to be working, before my hiatus I worked out through dance- my favorite and the dance I did most was and will be doing most often again- is Belly Dance. It never hurts when you are doing it but you may be a little sore the day after and it still works wonders (I had lost 8lbs, though during my hiatus i have gained 5lbs back... lol) I also have chronic knee pain and Belly Dance has never bothered it. About your last question, I have heard conflicting arguments. Dancing can cause cramps if your too full, but if I am hungry I will eat a small snack before a work out because otherwise I will get a headache after (despite staying hydrated)
    Good Luck!
  • sbouchlas
    Options
    well...you are definately going to stimulate your body if you work out late and this could cause you to be a little more restless than usual!...you should always eat about an hour before working out.... if you have injuries consult a professional before working out the injured area...no pain no gain simply means when you work your muscles you are microscopically tearing them...you should lay of of that muscle group for a few days so they have time to repair...you should always stop if you hurt yourself while doing an exercise...it should never hurt if your doing it correct...you might feel a burn from exhausting that particular muscle! hope this helps!!!
  • Karaya41
    Options
    :wink: Awesome Guys I read each and everyone of you and I do appreciate the input!! thanks bunches!!
  • BSNtobeach
    Options
    I was told by a personal trainer at a gym a few years ago that the best thing is to ensure that you are not hungry before exercise. If need be, eat a small snack. If you are hungry and exerting yourself, it tricks your body into thinking it needs to hold on to the fat to have energy. Seems to make sense. Also, when you workout you boost your heart rate and your metabolosm. I guess so if you were not hungry, then you can easily wait 30 min after your workout to eat and therefore it stays boosted a little longer. Therefore, burning more calories. I guess the food or whatever slows it back down faster. He said to not be hungry, but if you ensure your good before your workout, then it is a good idea to just stick to water for the 30min s/p (oops!) ie: staus post exercise. Anyway, again of course physician or dietician advise is best, but that is what I try to go with. Good luck!!! :)