motivation help please :(

Options
When I'm tracking my calories, I do really well up until I get home...which is when I'm just surrounded by all sorts of basically untrackable homecooked Chinese food. I generally watch a bit of T.V. after dinner, which is when I get the munchies, and I snack constantly. :(

I need motivation argh!! What do you suggest, guys? :(

Replies

• alauren0107
    alauren0107 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals and three snacks a day. Keep on a schedule. Do not give in to temptation too often or you will be fighting the battle all over again. I am speaking from experience. I am starting all over after losing over 60 lbs and then gaining 30 of that back. I have been back on track for 2 weeks and have already lost 10 lbs. Stay motivated! Get a coworker or family member to join this with you. It works much better when you have someone encouraging you. Good luck!!!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    When I'm tracking my calories, I do really well up until I get home...which is when I'm just surrounded by all sorts of basically untrackable homecooked Chinese food. I generally watch a bit of T.V. after dinner, which is when I get the munchies, and I snack constantly. :(

I need motivation argh!! What do you suggest, guys? :(

What I would do:

A) Keep the tempting things out of the house

OR

B) Exercise more
  • cbriost
    cbriost Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to plan out what I will eat in a given day the night before. That way I know i'm under my limits and I know where I have flexibility. This helps me avoid splurges and untrackable meals.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    stimulus control.

rid thy home of temptations.

If it's unavoidable, just calculate it in in small amounts and portion it out when you're full and not in front of the TV.
  • Rachiewoowoo
    Options
    stimulus control.

rid thy home of temptations.

If it's unavoidable, just calculate it in in small amounts and portion it out when you're full and not in front of the TV.
    Really difficult when I don't control my home, lol...
    I will try. Sigh.
  • Rachiewoowoo
    Options
    I think it helps to plan out what I will eat in a given day the night before. That way I know i'm under my limits and I know where I have flexibility. This helps me avoid splurges and untrackable meals.
    I was just thinking of doing that!
    I think I'll make up a menu tonight :)
  • Rachiewoowoo
    Options
    I eat three meals and three snacks a day. Keep on a schedule. Do not give in to temptation too often or you will be fighting the battle all over again. I am speaking from experience. I am starting all over after losing over 60 lbs and then gaining 30 of that back. I have been back on track for 2 weeks and have already lost 10 lbs. Stay motivated! Get a coworker or family member to join this with you. It works much better when you have someone encouraging you. Good luck!!!
    Thank you very much for the wise words!! I will try. Thing is - I get back home very early, and dinner is always ready by about 5... Being a night owl, I don't go to sleep until at least 6 or 7 hours after that, so snacking is so tempting!! Great job! Keep it up, and I'll try to get someone to join me :) Thanks!!
  • mariakbaker
    Options
    I am really getting a kick out of the "exersise" part...I work out---I get to eat more! But what is happening, is, I work out, then I find that I am not as hungry and if I DO eat, I eat less!

What a concept I have discovered! Yes, I have read that and I know that and it is simple mathmatics, calories in, vs. calories out. But I was always good at the IN part! Now I (*gasp*) am actually looking forward to walking on that treadmill.

Granted I have had to start really, really slow, but now I can go a little longer, or faster, or up hill. I WANT to.

Plugging in those activities and numbers helps me VISUALIZE what I am really doing. I feel like I have something to keep on track and I have some control over. And food has always had control over me.

I am really enjoying it!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Try keeping healthy, low calorie snacks around so if you do eat it won't hurt the diary too much.
  • PamelaHenD
    PamelaHenD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Drinks lots of water. At this moment there is a box under my bed full of christmas candy. I have learned that if I want a small piece I have one but after that I drink water when ever I get the urge to get more. Also any candy in my house is always mini bars not full size or even the snack size one. Norm is 1 and I am good. One more thing I did years ago was when ever I wanted junk I ate a starlight mint. If you know anything about mint it makes sweet stuff taste awful and many other things...Chewing gum can help to.
    Good Luck...
  • jaimebarth
    Options
    If you don't control what is in your home then I suggest two things:

1. Take your normal portion size of that wonderful chinese food and cut it in half. Then add a serving or two of fresh fruit or veggies.

2. DO NOT EAT IN FRONT OF THE TV no matter what.

If you get the munchies in front of the TV then get up and go do something else...go outside for some fresh air, pick up a book or magazine, get on MFP and read motivating stories or do some stretches or some exercise. Anything to interrupt the habit. Good luck!
  • Nosila0815
    Nosila0815 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would make a rule not to eat when watching tv or if you are going to then you have to exercise before you get to eat the snack. I use both tools myself and I have seen some progress.
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    VEGGIES!!! I am a huge muncher too and need something to chew on and if i have fresh veggies i can eat them and they are just a fraction of the calories in regular snacks. If you dont like straight veggies try dipping them in hummus or maybe try some red wine vinegar or garlic with them.
  • Monisp8
    Options
    Do you like popcorn? I am a snacker and the evening use to be my downfall. I take 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels put them in a brown paper bag in the microwave and pop them. I spray with butter flavored cooking spray or spray butter and add whatever seasoning I like- usually, garlic powder and a a little salt, or a little sugar and salt (taste like kettle corn). It has been a CALORIE SAVER!!!
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Omg I know exactly what you mean! It's especially bad when I'm on break living at my parents' house -- I can control portions well in college, where I live in my own apartment, but I lose all motivation when I'm home.

I put a note on the kitchen door that said "Are you hungry?" lol, my parents thought it was weird, but it reminded me to think about what I'm eating and why I'm eating it. Don't forget -- you are in control!