That time of the month & binge eating?

Options
Okay ladies, I've been going strong for 24 days now! When I started working out and eating healthy, I had just gotten off my menstral cycle. Sorry if it is misspelled! Anyway, it's coming up, now and it's coming up fast. I can feel myself to begin to get the cravings, and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it! Any advice on what you do during that time of the month and wanting to eat everything in sight?

~Stephanie

12205054.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I try to keep dark choclate around so I eat that instead of 1/2 gallon of ice cream. Also, make sure you're sticking to your workout routine. Sometimes we have to give in to our cravings. Maybe take a maintenance day during that time to help with cravings.
  • stephcamp4
    Options
    Thanks, maybe I can keep like a small bag of m&m's by me, and pop a couple, lol when I feel the need to have a piece of chocolate! Eek! I've been dreading this coming all month! I've been doing so good, and I don't want to derail!!

12205054.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Hormonal fluctuations are normal, and often even out. Feed your body more on those days where you feel like it needs more, and then don't force yourself to meet your caloric goals on other days. It's more of an over all thing, each day does not matter as much as over time.
  • phendrick
    phendrick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Go to the market and get your healthy snacks that you desire..So when that time come you will be well prepared.
  • stonejoan
    Options
    Having always been heavy, this has always been an issue for me. But what I have come to realize, is that in order to be successful at my weight loss, my diet and exercise have to be realistic. It has to be something that I can keep up for the rest of my life.....not some crazy diet where I only eat steak....or I never eat bread....or can never have chocolate, ice cream or cake. I finally get what everyone else ment when they said MODERATION is key, because it truley is.

I find that with MFP, I can keep tabs on myself, I am aware of what I am putting in my body. By doing this, I am able to allow myself some simple pleasures, such as my Coffee with cream in the moring, or a chocolate brownie as a snack. I have also made sure to find myself healthier alternatives to some of my favorite treats. I really like the 90 calorie special K granola bars, and I just got a box of the new 90 calorie fiber one brownies....and trust me, I just finished up my cycle, and a nice healthier snack like this with some milk is what helped me get my cravings in without sabotaging my daily caloire intake.

Good luck and don't be afraid to try different things!!
  • gwcowgirl
    gwcowgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally sympathize! I've just gotten back on track and tonight I can feel it coming on like a freight train. I also bloat up and so will try not to weigh myself for a few days to avoid getting discouraged.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i tend to satiate my cravings during TOM :wink:
    chocolate has no mercy
  • andreacord
    Options
    Chromium supplement keep my blood sugar in check and I don't crave sugar basically at all.

When I do, small portions .. dark chocolate, 80 calorie fudgesicles, fat free pudding or the pudding cups, flavored oatmeal, sugar free jello, 94% fat free popcorn with some seasoning and popchips are my snacky go tos .. if i'm feeling real candy then I go to the bulk section of the supermarket and get a very small serving, so much cheaper and you can only eat what you have if you buy a small portion. :) that being said its easy to go overboard there.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way, although this month (my first on mfp) I managed to stay strong, I got my chocolate fix through a home made glass of chocolate milk with non-fat milk and sugar free syrup, and chewed gum throughout the day to stop me binging (nothing taste worse then chocolate after you've brushed your teeth or had a mint). It's hard because I'm usually in too much pain to exercise as well so need to be strict on my calorie intake!
    Good luck, we all go through it!
  • TheMystonique
    Options
    I have this problem too but the real problem for me is not feeling more hungry per se, it's real craving for bad foods fatty and sugary. I have literally eaten healthy food when I'm craving until I was so stuffed I was vomiting and it doesn't help one bit. And trying to "allow" myself a "little" of the bad foods I'm craving doesn't sate the craving. I have found ignoring the cravings - will power - leads to severe head aches and other stress symptoms.

I have found minor help in relaxation and allowing myself the foods I know I will crave in small quantities leading up to the time as well as being on the right pill but overall if I'm stressed it's just a fat and sugar fest or a headache and incredible agro fest.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am usually STARVING the week before, then can barely eat anything when I get it because of the pain. I've been playing around with supplements, and have found beets to be very helpful because of the iron. During my menses, I drink juiced carrots, barleygrass, and beets all together and it really, really helps. I get them in a high quality power form from the company I get my chromium, protien and fiber supplements from.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the dark chocolate for sweet cravings. I usually take the first day off from exercise because I'm too exhausted and crampy. If you recognize you're eating more because of your hormones, it'll help keep your binges in check. I wouldn't say eat what you feel like you need because at the TOM I could eat and eat and eat.
  • jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I found Chex makes some delicious mixes. I have dark chocolate mix and spicy and bold. So this way if it's chocolate I'm craving, I know I'm allowed 1/2 cup and it satisfies me. I also have lite chocolate soy milk on hand, even though sometimes I wish they made a strawberry version of that. The spicy bold mix takes care of the salty cravings. Also pickles have no calories so if you want crunch and salty that might be another alternative.
  • lalaberryhill
    Options
    I just had the same problem and found that the 100 cal fudge shoppe cookie packs helped me out alot when i was craving chocolate! Try it :) It worked for me!! And don't worry if you feel bloated..i've felt like poo the past few days and am trying my hardest not to look at the scale. I usually will wait til the day after I stop to weigh again. Just keep working out and you'll be good :)
  • mindy2185
    Options
    I so binge at this time! i hate chocolate, until this time of the month?!?!!? i always get so side track with my exercise and healthy eating habits!