Hungry horrors at night

Options
After 8:00 I get the hungry horrors. Does anyone have any ideas on what to have. I just had a cup of decaf coffee w/ half and half. I am also going to make some sugar free jello for tomorrow night.

My bed time is in between 10:00 and 12:00 depending on the night.

Thanks,

Tracy

Replies

• smbyrd13
    smbyrd13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've developed a love of air popped popcorn....very low in calories and pretty filling too!
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    maybe 1/2 a cup of berries and a big cup of water
    i have been having the same after dinner hunger attack lately
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I do this, too! I can tell it is linked to alcohol, boredom, or TV.

Are you watching TV when it strikes? Are you sitting around?

Try shaking up your routine: playing a game, reading a book, doing something crafty if you are into that, etc. I fold laundry and watch TV-- hands are busy, brain is semi busy = no eating!

I also like "closing" my kitchen. I put all the food from dinner or dessert or whatever away and shut the lights off in there. Much less tempting to pick at things or wander back aimlessly when that is done.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If it's real physical hunger, try saving some calories for nighttime, or eating dinner a little later. If it's emotional or mindless eating, I agree with distracting yourself.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite - I'm never hungry at night, i just eat as its 'time' to eat... and because of this lack of interet i tend to overeat and go to bed full! not sure how to combat it!
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i don't eat after 7 as i find i feel yuck during the nite and the next day. if i am hungry i just have water. i'm usually in bed at 10 so i just tell myself "eat my fat, EAT MY FAT"!!! lol, i do have hunger pangs in the arvo about 4 so i have a cuppa and some fruit or a yogurt, gets me through till dinner and i don't as much too
  • shlesescott
    Options
    I am also a bit of a night eater. If its a sugar craving try sugar free popsicles. They r like 15 calories so I dont feel too bad if I have more than one.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    When do you eat dinner? Maybe you should try to schedule dinner 3-4 hours before bed.
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I chop up raw veggies and keep them in the fridge for some bite-size snacking action when those times hit. I have zucchini chunks in there right now, and a full cup of them is 20 calories.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Toast with peanutbutter and maybe a little jam. Mmmmmm....
  • nallbaby10
    Options
    I grab a handful of almonds and a bottle of water.
  • letheri1
    Options
    I feel your pain! This happens to me when I haven't had enough water that day. I try to eat something that I feel like I am getting alot but that is low in calories. My choice for tonight was popcorn. I have been having trouble when I cook something that is really really good I will measure out what I need and then eat and be fine until I get a urge later in the night. I will then proceed to fight with myself into not going to get it. So my plan for the future is to only cook exactly what my family needs and eliminate the leftovers that I sometimes get the hunger horrors for! I hope this helps and I know this helps me too to be able to put words explaining how I feel when these things come up for me as well. Thanks for the post.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I've developed a love of air popped popcorn....very low in calories and pretty filling too!

^^^^ this
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If I feel really hungry i drink green tea but usually I just go with it thinking, I'm melting a little bit of fat away hehe, makes me feel better about it and I actually start to enjoy the tummy grumbles hehe
  • JessicaHerleXO
    JessicaHerleXO Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I totally get it! I think almost everyone finds it the hardest to stay on track at nighttime. Something I'm trying to do is knit when I'm watching TV because my favourite thing to do is zone out and eat while watching TV. It sounds horrible, but I inhale the food without even noticing. So I've started to remind myself to knit and eat gum! Haha. Try something like that! Goodluck :)