Running

Options
So I really need some help to start running again! I can do my workouts at home and I do really good at keeping up with them but I can't seem to find time to run. I hate running outside and would rather go to the gym to run on the treadmill but I never have time to go to the gym. What should I try to do

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    everyone has time.

i work 12 hr night shifts, go to school part time and other things and I still find time.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Definitely try the couch 2 5k program. For me, all I needed to get back into running was a program that laid out how far to run each day. Try googling it.

Oh and you can do it on the treadmill- I do my 10k training on the treadmill. It feels good to meet a distance goal rather than a time goal.
  • allymonas
    Options
    I have just started couch to 5k! its great, 3 times a week anywhere from 20-40 mins i think. I just started yesterday actually and found it realy easy, it tells you when to walk/jog and if all goes to plan in 9 weeks 5 k will be easy to run! and i figured i could fit 30 mins into my day somewhere =)
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Do the couch to 5k program for sure. It starts out slowly. As others have said, it builds you up to be able to run for at least 30 minutes straight. The time is there, you just have to want it. I get up at 4am almost every morning to run (currently nursing a pulled achilles tendon), so if you want it bad enough you'll simply make it happen. Good luck!
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    I had a similar problem, so I started looking around for a treadmill and caught a 60% off deal on the one I now own. They're roughly from $250 - $1200. If you don't care for brands, check Costco, they have one for a good bargain and Walmart carries some that are about $300. It's worth checking into.

Before that I used to run laps in my basement; which wasn't as fun, but it worked.
  • tesson
    tesson Posts: 3
    Options
    I hear running on the treadmill puts some wear and tear on your knees... I know it can sometimes be a balancing act for me by running on the treadmill. Its more natural to be running outside on a track or some road. So i wouldnt neccesarily invest in a treadmill!!! Checked out the 'couch to 5k' program and it looks like it will definitely build you up to a 5k pace!
  • kazpixie
    Options
    I'm the opposite to you - I massively prefer running outside to running on the treadmill but where it's (literally) freezing at the moment I can't deal with it in my mind so i'm getting up at 5am monday to friday, getting into the gym for 6am and doing a 6km run there every morning. Much like you I didn't really have the time in my normal day but to be honest it's important to my fitness level (which in turn is super important to my life goals currently) so I've just decided to sleep a bit less and get up an hour early to do it.

Boring situation but basically it's a question of priorities and if you want to do it you'll do it ;-)