How do I stop craving sweets?!

Options
Hi everyone!!

This is my first post so apologies if there's already been a similar question asked.

I'm just wondering if anybody has any tips on how to stop craving sweets? I could eat them all day every day (and usually do) and they're definitely my biggest downfall when it comes to snacking!!

Thank you :)

Replies

• RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm kinda new here but I'll tell you what works for me (because I love sweets as well).
    Fruits! It's the best. 3 or 4 grapes; Kiwi; strawberrys...they are low in calories and healthy and sweet enough to make me stop craving.
    Also, at work, I have lots of chewing gum (no sugar) of different flavors so I that when the cravings start I have a gum.

Hope it's helpfull!
  • coraaa
    coraaa Posts: 4
    Options
    I was thinking of giving fruit a try but it's so much easier to pick up a bag of sweets ;) haha. The chewing gum is a great idea though! I didn't think of that!! Thank you.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Hey, start by eating much more fruits, (but not too much :p )
    Here is a total different point of view : learn how to cook small cakes, cookies, snacks, and use natural sweetener instead of real bad sugar.
    that worked for me :)
    Cheers
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Its tough! I found the best way is just to stop eating them :(

Frozen fruit is a great substitute! Fresh fruit is also good, but something about a half frozen banana is much more satisfying than a half of a fresh banana. My other favourites are frozen grapes (but them on sale and freeze in separate batches of 20) and berries (straight from the supermarket bag). Also, dried fruits like dates or dried pears are really good!
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use the fruit, and gum thing, too. But another show-stopper, or should I say craving stopper, for me is to drink lots and lots of ice water. Works when I think I'm a bit hungry, too. You get your hydration that way. It tastes super good because it is icy cold. I keep a 28 ounce mug with a straw close to me at all times.
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am drinking a lot of milky natures cuppa with some sweetener in it. That helps. I also eat sugar less lollies .
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am drinking a lot of milky natures cuppa with some sweetener in it. That helps. I also eat sugar less lollies .
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think it is the sugar your body craves, and add on top of that the habits we all form, and these things are hard to break. If you go a week and not eat them, the cravings will go away. As suggested by others, eat fruit etc, then it will get easier. And just remember, when you really want lollies (I understand, I LOVE lollies), think about why you have joined MFP, and how you will feel down the track when you have stopped the cravings and reached whatever goals you have set for yourself. It will be a great feeling.
  • Finneyfaery
    Options
    Ok, I am a huge sugar addict and wanted to retrain my body to stop craving it. It's an addiction, like anything else. Our body doesn't need it. Natural sugars as well. Sugar is sugar. Our bodies have a hard time processing it. Of course sugar in fruit is easier on the system than refined sugars. But in the end, our bodies react to it the same way. Anyway, I recently read an ebook called "I quit sugar" by Sarah Wilson. Cut out ALL forms of sugar cold turkey! And it was way easier than I thought it would be. 3 days in, I felt very low energy because of detoxing from it. Getting it out of my system. On the fourth day, It was like a switch...full energy, clarity of my mind, felt like I could do anything. And best of all, I didn't have ANY sugar cravings. I've lost nearly 100 pounds on my own but am looking to lose 30 more. I have type 1 diabetes and have always been watching carbs sense trying to lose weight. Lowering them gradually over time. If you keep your carbs under 120g a day and your sugar below 15g a day, you can lose weight. And you don't have to worry about cals or fat. Fat doesn't make us fat, SUGAR makes us fat. But this ebook helps you to better understand that and no longer desire sugary things. It's a godsend IMO! Seriously..major sugar addict. I am now into my second week completely sugar free. No added, no "natural".. Even cut waaaaay down if not all on sweeteners added. I use stevia. There are TONS of completely sugar free and still satisfying recipes available. Anyway, that's just my input. For the longest time I'd been wanting to get off the sugar too. So I did this for myself. Just had to share sense I saw your post topic. :)
  • coraaa
    coraaa Posts: 4
    Options
    Woah, lots of advice!! Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

I think I'll give the 'I Quit Sugar' book a try too :)
  • voodoo_lady
    Options
    If you are craving sweet stuff, you may low in chromium, I take a supplement from health food stores and it seems to work : )
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    Bolthouse vanilla chai tea with soy protein. It taste like eggnog. It tides me over sometimes. 180calories for a cup
  • AJWriter
    Options
    I usually go for a packet of Frootz - 18g is just enough to give you that sweet feeling and with no fat and 70calories they are great. I also like Butterkist Toffee popcorn - 25g bag has 3g of fat so it's a great snack if you are watching your fat intake.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When you eat sweets and sugary things it causes your blood sugar to peak and trough, meaning you get a sudden sugar high followed by a crash. During the crash your body will crave sweet things to try and boost your blood sugar back to a better level so you end up with a cycle that's hard to break. If you eat good quality, fresh, nutritious food throughout the day (so instead of eating three big meals try eating smaller amounts throughout the day) then it will keep your blood sugar at a steady level and you won't crave sugar so much.

I'd agree with some of the other posts, it takes about 3 days of willpower before everything levels out and you stop really wanting to eat the crap lol