Healthy Breakfast Ideas

Options
Hi,

What alternative breakfast food is low in calories and carbs (more so the carbs) as im trying to cut down on carbs and for the past month iv been having porridge but it contains ~20g of carbs and I really want to have something lower in carbs. Iv tried the whole fruit and yoghurt thing but im hungry within an hour and a half again! Any suggestions??

Replies

• donnamillie
    donnamillie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    egg white omlette throw in some ham, tomato, etc.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Eggs and bacon. Tasty and filling. Just don't fry it!
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    eggs are great! I have one at 7.15 and don't need to eat again til 10.30... ;-)
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    COCAINE!

:D SORRY i'M JUST ANTSY, waiting on the clock to strike 7am so i can get the hellllllo outta work!

Hmmm lets see

instant grits have just 100 cals just a few more carbs then you'd like ( 22g per serving) but they are delicious.

There are some flaxseed waffles that people seem to be raving about. Also don't limit your "breakfast" to "breakfast type foods" If you want to eat a something you'd normally eat for dinner eat it.

some say eating the bigger meal earlier in the day keeps you filled longer.

ANYTHING HIGH IN FIBER will keep you feeling fuller longer. also get alllll your water in!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    eggs, cheese, fish, slice of ham
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    eggs are great! I have one at 7.15 and don't need to eat again til 10.30... ;-)

1 egg keep you FULL for 3 hrs and 15 mins???? thats one POWERFUL EGG! It must be a super food!
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to cut carbs you should cut them from later in the day and eat them in the morning, the 20g of carbs at breakfast is good fuel for the day ahead rather than 20g at dinner when you will be sleeping in a few hours. I know this is hard to stop too.

I eat eggs first thing in the morning ( I egg and I egg white even just fired can be enough to keep you going) and then about 2 hours later have my porridge I found this really helped me cut back on the carbs. When I was eating porridge first thing I was still eating carbs 2 hours later now I have less starchy carbs overall though I can still have them at lunchtime.
  • lynn1985
    Options
    Thanks all for the help :wink: :smile:
  • kc_miles
    Options
    Hi (first post here)

I have the following for breakfast. Keeps me full and the whole-wheat bread is low G.I. so it helps reduce hunger pangs before lunch time.

Italian Chopped Tomatoes, 1/2 tin 47
    Lighter butter - Lightly Salted Ll, 10 g - 1 serving 54
    Eggs - poached, 1 egg 70
    Warburtons - Wholemeal Bread 400g Loaf, 2 slice 116

Total Calories 287.

I have butter on one slice of the bread (the one that has the egg on). I could live without butter but I love the stuff so I just limit it in my diet. (everything in moderation and all that)

It takes about 5-10mins to make, start with the tinned tomatoes, then once they have lost some of their water content and reduced I put the toast in and poach the egg. Egg is ready when the toaster pops! Crack of black pepper and its good to go!
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    hiya

sorry i did put something but realise urs was a low carb diet :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    My new favourite breakfast (and it travels well) is eggs and a 100 calories Dempsters multi-grain bagel.

I use only egg whites with some spices, a tiny bit of cheese, and some green pepper, onion and mushroom. Cut all veggies into small pieces and cook in a non stick pan.... push them all into the middle so the veggies are together, pour egg whites on top. Cook until the bottom sets, than flip and add cheese. I make a few of these now and pop them in the fridge and take one, put it on the 100 cal multi grain bagel and put a tiny bit of mayo on it and I'm good to go for very few calories.

When I'm working a morning shift I just bring these along to work with me and eat at my desk before I start work. So easy for travel, yummy and healthy!