Exercise that can be done in a staffroom?

Options
Hi there,

I'm a high school teacher, and I spend any time I have free planning in my staffroom which usually means that I'm at a desk typing on the laptop. Then I pick up my daughter, drive home, and then get dinner, showered and go straight to bed.

I try and do atll my school work at school so I don't have to bring it home.

Do you have any ideas of what exercising I can get done while I'm in the staff room? School is where I spend the most amount of time, and the staffroom is where I get my work done and have lunch.

I have been watching what I eat, so that's not too much of a problem.

I need some movement. Ideas??

Jackie

Replies

• missfluffyuk
    Options
    Do you have yard duty? Make it a work out -- jump up on a tree branch or something and do a pull up from time to time, walk briskly, things like that. I guarantee that you'll get kids joining you. If you can, maybe get the idea to run a fitness class during lunchtimes for those that want it, or an allowed walk around the block (with parental permission)! My school did that, and it was moderately popular.

In the staff room, walk laps. Sit on a fitness ball instead of a chair. You can apparently buy little sets of peddles so you can peddle at your chair.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree, swiss ball as a chair will help your core. Yard duty...just walk...pace walk like a crazy person, control those kiddies. even offer to take yard duty of some other teachers if you are free.

Squats however are the best exercise you can do, need no space and can do them anywhere.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't know of anything you could do in a staff room without really LOOKING like you're working out, but anytime you need to stretch you could jog the stairs (if there are stairs in the school) for about 15 minutes at a time. That way, 4 breaks x 15 minutes is an hour of cardio.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Also I know you said you go straight to bed, but if you even tacked on 15-30 minutes of your day by doing a workout video at home (tons on youtube, netflix, and the like) you could try to work that into your daily routine.
  • Supercatie80
    Supercatie80 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    There are a handful of little things you can do. Sitting on an exercise ball is one. You can also do some arm lifts. Or the washington post has a nice little article. You might be able to adapt some of them to actually get work done at the same time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/workout-at-work/
  • jcmorrison25
    jcmorrison25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I googled "office workouts" for this the other day and found numerous websites with different ideas and/or workout plans. I sit at a desk for 8 hours, no lunch, nothing, so I have to find a way to try to do something, plus it pushes me thru the tired feelings that hit midday!
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone or iPad, I think there is an app called Stealth Workouts that has some good ideas.