Calories burned teaching

Options
So yea I'm a teacher but I took on some extra hours of night class and I wanted to add those in as extra in the exercise database. Any idea where I can find information about roughly how many calories I burn? I weigh 130 lbs, 5' 1. Does 50 calories per hour sound reasonable? I don't sit at all during the class, either I'm standing, writing on the board or walking around.

Replies

• JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Why not just select whatever the activity level is that is one step above sedentary (non-desk job, but not highly active)?
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would think you would change your activity level in the settings for that. I stand all day at work and walk around about half the day. So I put my activity at lightly active. I am taking a second job and that will be five hours a night lifting boxes. When I start that, I am going to change my activity level to the next one up.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Well it's only 2 nights per week so I didn't want to adjust my activity level for just that.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't log any extra work teaching as calories burned, I just set my activity level at slightly active. Although sometimes I think it should be higher because I am an SK teacher, and I certainly don't get a lot of sitting around with 5 year olds. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    oh man, i got the sickest calorie burn yesterday. i was doing some hard core browsing, like memebase, failblog, a little mfp, and some lolcats. it was hard, especially having to navigate around all those "stop SOPA" banners and black outs, but i did it.

how do i log all that??
  • There are a couple of websites that let you determine calories burned while standing--Livestrong is one. I'd use them to determine how many calories you burn then enter that data--you might want to bump it up by 1-3% to account for "extra" activity.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would seriously consider not logging those hours as exercise.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    oh man, i got the sickest calorie burn yesterday. i was doing some hard core browsing, like memebase, failblog, a little mfp, and some lolcats. it was hard, especially having to navigate around all those "stop SOPA" banners and black outs, but i did it.

how do i log all that??

IDIOT
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    There are a couple of websites that let you determine calories burned while standing--Livestrong is one. I'd use them to determine how many calories you burn then enter that data--you might want to bump it up by 1-3% to account for "extra" activity.

Thanks, I'll check them out.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I coach gymnastics 4 hrs a day, setting up stretching and spotting and I don't bother to log that, so I probably wouldn't log general teaching. Most jobs stand and move around, in fact it's just a given daily action.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I would seriously consider not logging those hours as exercise.

The reason I wanted to, to be honest with you, is that I wanted to justify eating a little more when I got home. Cuz I was starving last night!

I'm not trying to make up some bullsh** activity just to seem like I burn a few extra cals. I'm already averaging 500-700 calories from my P90X and Insanity workouts. However I'm only eating about 1300 cals per day since I'm trying to lose a lb a week. So far I've been very successful (11 lbs lost in 11 weeks), but last night when I taught that 3 hour class, by the time I got home (which is an hour and a half away from work) I was STARVING. Didn't want to eat anything unless I could justify it with an activity.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Standing is not exercise.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think 50 cal is reasonable.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I coach gymnastics 4 hrs a day, setting up stretching and spotting and I don't bother to log that, so I probably wouldn't log general teaching. Most jobs stand and move around, in fact it's just a given daily action.

Yes but you do that everyday. I teach everyday and so that's a part of my daily activity so it doesn't count. But that usually goes from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.. But last night (and tonight) is from 8:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m..
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

It is not sedentary either. Sedentary is for being sat down constantly. You will need more calories from being stood teaching, than you would being sat at a desk.

If it was a 5 day a week job I'd change the activity level from sedentary upwards.

Why not check the difference in cals between lightly active and sedentary for the week, and then divide the difference by 7 so you know how much extra to add for each day.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The reason I wanted to, to be honest with you, is that I wanted to justify eating a little more when I got home. Cuz I was starving last night!
    I probably wouldn't specifically log it, but you shouldn't stress out if you go over calories a bit on those days either. I used to tend bar as a second job, and standing for long periods of time really does take its toll on your body, so I do agree with others that its not "cardio", its definitely burning more calories than usual....
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I think 50 cal is reasonable.

I think so too.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options

It is not sedentary either. Sedentary is for being sat down constantly. You will need more calories from being stood teaching, than you would being sat at a desk.

If it was a 5 day a week job I'd change the activity level from sedentary upwards.

Why not check the difference in cals between lightly active and sedentary for the week, and then divide the difference by 7 so you know how much extra to add for each day.

Good idea. I'm gonna try that.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    1300 calories a day is pretty low. So rather than feel like you need to justify it to yourself, if you're starving, just eat! Just make a healthy choice. Listen to your body.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I probably wouldn't specifically log it, but you shouldn't stress out if you go over calories a bit on those days either. I used to tend bar as a second job, and standing for long periods of time really does take its toll on your body, so I do agree with others that its not "cardio", its definitely burning more calories than usual....

I see what you're saying, don't log it, but don't stress if I go over my cals a little on those days. Sounds reasonable.