Protine Shakes, Good or bad???

Options
Hi there, Im trying to loose 35-40lb, ive started working out hard at the gym, walking dogs more and doing pilates for strenghth with the odd weights session. I want to tone up all over and loose fat. Im finding it hard to get protine into my diet as I dont really like meat, will eat a bit of chicken but thats it. I like beans, eggs, quorn and things like that. But im tring to get the ballance right, I seem to be over on carbs most days.
I was looking at protine shakes but theres so many on the market and confused about what they do, if there good for you and will i bulk up on them? There quite a price diffrence and them and they seem to promise the world.
Has anyone tried them and found they work?
Any ideas on tips would be really welcome.

Thanks
Gillian x

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`m an advocate of protein shakes, every morning in my yoghurt (as i hate the taste without). Healthy low(ish) fat meats during the day and a protein shake 20 mins before i go to bed. MFP log say i take in far too much protein, but i seem to be losing weight without losing muscle mass. So for me its great. (i drink at least 3 litres of water a day to flush out my kidneys)

I normaly use Atlas All Whey protein powder. which can be found here. http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk

My all time favourite was the Pure Protein 100% Whey Protein Powder - Frosty Chocolate but i cannot get this anymore for some reason.

I`ll use protein powder in shakes and cakes and snack on them during training days.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Protein powder as a supplement to reach your target intake is fine, I'd just suggest against using it as the ONLY source of protein in your diet.
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thanks, so is it best to use it on training days then? if I has a shake before the gym?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Your body needs protein everyday. Your protein needs shouldn't fluctuate day to day.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat the protein. It is more satisfying.
  • tiggerdug
    Options
    Your body needs protein everyday. Your protein needs shouldn't fluctuate day to day.

Do you mean going to gym?
    I dont want to replace and meals, going to try eat more eggs and things but thought it might be a good way to get more protine.
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes can be great, especially if you are heading out to run errands or something after you hit the gym. But be careful!! A lot of shakes where you add protein powder and fruit, etc...have a LOT of calories! People tend to over use them..as they do protein bars..they have the calorie count of a meal. So just watch that.
    I sprinkle protein powder on my oatmeal, I sometimes make a shake for breakfast or if I am leaving the gym I will just mix the powder with water.
    You can also buy the premade single serves like Muscle Milk Light (about 110 calories I think) to keep as a snack. I also have one sometimes before I head to a party or dinner where I know I am going to be tempted..this fills me up a bit and has that sweetness, so make better choices.
    Best of luck!

Other options are adding egg or beans to your salads or toss in a small amount of chicken (if you can tolerate it)
    Another great option is Tofu, I stir fry it and I also add it to my veggie chili! They have tofu pasta now as well, its very low cal and its an easy pasta replacement. Not the real thing of course, but it will do!
  • jdublis
    jdublis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    don't think of protein shakes as a muscle building miracle drink....its liquid food. drink them as u need them to meet you goals for the day.

try 1g of protein per lb of body weight ...how much protein depends on what you're trying to do

but like someone else said it is always better to have food instead, it's more satisfying and better for u
  • KCharron20
    Options
    I use protein shakes only after a workout. I have tried many kinds but find that the GNC Amp Wheybolic 60 works best for me. It's high in whey isolates so the protein gets to your muscles quickly and I find that I'm am no where near as sore the next day.
  • tiggerdug
    Options
    thanks for all your comments and advice, going to have a wee look and see what might help!

thanks again
  • jared767
    Options
    I'm on the camp that says protein shakes are good. They won't make you gain weight since most of them has 100 calories only per serving. What they do is they give you more protein which is essential for muscle growth and healing of torn muscle fibres.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    :smile: I personally like the Jay Robb brand. Chocolate is good! No sugar.