10 foods you thought were heathy...

Options
(from Idealbodiesonline.com)

To build lean muscle and lose fat (i.e. to shape your body), you need to make sure that around 90% of your diet consists of whole, unprocessed foods – basically anything that doesn't come out of a box like lean meats, veggies, eggs, fruits, etc.

If you are eating 5 to 6 meals each day (and you should be!) that leaves room for about 4 junk meals each week. (Be sure your diet contains plenty of protein too).

When it comes to building your best body, maybe you're not eating as healthy as you think. Here are 10 foods you may think are good for you, but in reality are anything but, and can be very detrimental in your efforts at building the body you desire and deserve.

1. Breakfast Cereals
Cereals are labeled low fat, healthy and recommended for weight loss. Yet most cereals are extraordinarily high in sugar. Always check the label to see where sugar (or anything that ends in 'ose') is situated on the ingredient list. The closer it is to the top, the more sugar it contains.

Tip: Try oatmeal, cream of wheat, WeetBix or VitaBrits. See our Lean Body GourmetCookbook for some great oat-based breakfast options like Creamy Oats and Pancakes with Maple Syrup.

2. Muesli Bars
Muesli bars contain some healthy ingredients such as oats, nuts and seeds but they're glued together with things like corn syrup, honey and just plain sugar, which impact negatively on blood sugar levels.

Some bars also contain chocolate chips, making them not much better than a Mars Bar. Basically they are low in protein, high in fat and sugar - a fat loss debacle.

Tip: Homemade protein bars/cakes:

Mix 1 cup oats (dry) + 2 scoops vanilla protein powder + 1-1.5 cup water + vanilla, sweetener (i.e. Stevia) and cinnamon.

•shredded carrots and raisins OR
•1 heaping cup of blueberries OR
•1 cup pumpkin
Then pour into a small casserole dish and bake for around 45min at 180 C (350 F)

3. Low Fat Yogurt
Fat free doesn't mean healthy. Low fat yoghurts usually contain a lot of sugar, approximately 7
teaspoons per 200g container! Add a piece of fruit and your blood sugar (and insulin) levels will skyrocket.

Tip: Plain unflavored yoghurt or reduced sugar yoghurt

4. Fat Free Muffins
Convenient and tastes good, but not as healthy as you think. High in carbs, devoid of protein, and as we've already learned, fat free and low fat usually equate to high sugar!

Tip: As for point #3, homemade protein bars/cakes.

5. Sandwiches Purchased from Cafes
Have you seen the size of these things? Often enough to feed a small family, they also often contain sugar laden dressings, few veggies and not enough protein, and too much bread.

Tip: Make your own sandwiches using regular-sized good quality grain bread.

6. Fruit Juice
Even 100% fruit juice has added sugars (go figure!). Fresh fruit juice, while better for you, is not a fat loss favourite. When you consider how many apples/oranges (or your choice of fruit) is required to make a cup of juice you can probably understand where I am headed with this one. Too many calories and an overload of sugar (natural or not, it's of no consequence) will not do your physique any favours.

Tip: Eat fresh or frozen fruit together with some form of protein.

7. Cheese and Crackers
These are popular dieter's snacks, but are usually wheat based (many people have wheat intolerance and should reduce the amount of wheat they consume) and highly processed. The combination of highly processed carbohydrates (crackers) and fat (cheese) is a dangerous one for fat loss.

Tip: Rice cakes and cottage cheese is a much better fat loss alternative.

8. Sport Drinks
These are supposed to help you replenish electrolytes and carbohydrates. It's actually just sugar water, with up to 30g of sugar per serving. If you are looking for fat loss, the only time these would be indicated is as a post weight training shake to assist with recovery (provided you have trained your muscles intensely). And then, you should add 20-30g (ladies) or 40g (guys) of whey protein.

Tip: Drink plain water during your workout (or MRM Reload if you prefer something flavoured), and protein + carbohydrates post workout.

9. Fast Food Salads
Contain sugar-laden salad dressings, preservatives and generally loads of hidden fat.

Tip: Stick to a garden type tossed salad and add your own dressing, or make your own alads.

10. Frozen Meals
Frozen fruits and vegetables are great for you, don't get confused with this. I'm referring to the full “TV dinner” type meal. They're processed, high in sugar and carbs, usually low in protein and have added sauces and lots of sodium. Avoid if possible.

Tip: Cook your own - if time is an issue, have a “cook up” day or two each week and freeze your own home cooked meals ready to “grab and go”.

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    That was actually my biggest mistake! Before I thought first but later on I realized I would be better without it. Great post! Thanks for sharing
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi's cereals. Their Go Lean cereal has 13g protein, 10g fiber, no high fructose corn syrup and it tastes good. I love it! I can eat it with some 2% milk and an egg and be at my per-meal protein goal for breakfast. :happy: Also, even better than nofat yogurt is greek yogurt. Higher in protein, and lower in sugar unless you get the ones with fruit you can mix in which is what I get but even then it's all natural. I love me some Fage 0% yogurt! Juice for me isn't worth it unless it's OJ 'cause I know I'm getting Vitamin C and even then, I can't bring myself to drink 100 calories unless I really can afford it that day! lol Thanks for posting this, just my thoughts.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ITA. Great list!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Tbh i didnt' think most of these foods where healthy anyway..
    I mean yoghurt is well like cream..
    Cheese is mega bad for your diet!
    Low fat muffins etc, are still muffins..
    And juice is just weird!
    But i am surprised to learn about the breakfast cereals!
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info :)
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I pretty much knew all of that but there is no way in hell I am giving up cheese! You can pry it out of my cold dead hands!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Tbh i didnt' think most of these foods where healthy anyway..
    I mean yoghurt is well like cream..
    Cheese is mega bad for your diet!
    Low fat muffins etc, are still muffins..
    And juice is just weird!
    But i am surprised to learn about the breakfast cereals!

Breakfast cereals are mostly wheat based & is high in fiber but at the same time its high in sugar. Unless it is no sugar but most cereals are sugar coated.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    i definitely second this! i could eat cheese all day everyday!:ohwell:
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jessica_Sarah
    Options
    The only thing I really eat on that list is cheese, so I'm happy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some helpful, but hardly new, information in there. But also some nonsense.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    To build lean muscle and lose fat (i.e. to shape your body), you need to make sure that around 90% of your diet consists of whole, unprocessed foods – basically anything that doesn't come out of a box like lean meats, veggies, eggs, fruits, etc.

If you are eating 5 to 6 meals each day (and you should be!) that leaves room for about 4 junk meals each week. (Be sure your diet contains plenty of protein too).

I pretty much stopped reading after that tbh. Lost all credibility there. =/
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I love cheese so much. I cannot give it up! When I do I end up binging like yesterday. Oh cheese...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I eat all that stuff.....just not very often.
  • Cmbisbee
    Cmbisbee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat Weight Watchers Smart Ones frozen meals almost everyday at lunch. Oh well.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    interesting, thank you for sharing!

fortunately the only things on there I eat are cereals and yogurts... and neither are routine! have to admit I do love my chobani's, but it's usually more of a snack item than a part of a meal. cereal is my go-to breakfast when I'm crunched for time but I'm getting better :D
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Great info....so glad im on the right track!!!
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I pretty much stopped reading after that tbh. Lost all credibility there. =/

BIG FAT SIGH! same... shame on me and my 3 meals a day!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Once I hit the you should be eating 5-6 meals a day statement, I basically stopped reading. That particular thought about eating many small meals being better than 3 squares, or for that matter 1 big meal a day, has been shown repeatedly to not be the case. Meal frequency is irrelevant for weight loss. It does not automatically make a person feel more full (in fact many will constantly feel hungry and unsatisfied that way), it does not increase metabolism, and while it effect blood sugar levels, it keeps them high. While the rest of the article may be correct, starting with a misrepresentation like that basically makes me question all of it. If you find eating 5-6 meals helps you personally go for, if you don't eat with a different meal frequency. It makes no difference.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    This is excellent! I agree!