to Spin or not to Spin

Options
I was preparing to brave a Spinning class.... Im a bit scared though!
It looks really intense and Im not exactly super fit at the min.

Does any one do spinning, can you recommend it for fat burning?

Replies

• kristyhooker
    Options
    I've been thinking about starting too.... the one at my gym the coach says you burn about 600-700 calories per session!
  • timea_84
    timea_84 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!!! It's excellent cardio and you do burn a ton of calories, I burn around 500 per session and I take it about 3 times a week.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I LOVE spinning. I love the music, the dynamics, the exercise. But I also love that everyone can go at their own pace and take care of him/herself during class without worrying about doing the right moves or looking silly. It's your workout - and instructors usually are very clear that you shoudl do what you are able, not necessarily what they do. It took me about a month to feel totally natural at it - so keep at it. I am addicted now. :) I've been doing it for 18 months. Try to choose a class that isn't one of the most popular ones - you may feel more comfortable beginning in a less crowded class. Then move up to the popular classes -sometimes the instructor is better, sometimes it's just a convenient time (i.e., 5:30 pm). Good luck!
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love spinning and have been doing it for about six years now! I've found I burn more fat in a spin class than running on a treadmill since my heart rate doesn't go as high. Pmaxson is right - it's your workout and you control the tension. There's people that stay seated when others are out of the saddle and vice versa. I'd get to the studio early to allow time to adjust the bike (or ask the instructor to help you). Have fun!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    I love spin class and I used to swear I'd never take part in one

Go 3 times a week now

your first class will kill you but after that each class you find you get better and better
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My husband is a spinning instructor. The one thing he tells new students is that you do it at your own pace. When he says to increase the intensity, what he increases it by may be different than what is comfortable for you. Wear comfy clothes, take lots of water and don't panic. Nobody is judging you, unless you totally slack off...and then, what is the point of being there.

Enjoy
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    thanks guys, Im going to go for it!