Tape Measuring - How Often?

Options
Hi All - Hope everyone is having a good day. For the first time I taped myself on Jan. 1 and am wondering how often everyone else re-tapes? Every two weeks or each month? I don't want to re-measure too early and get discouraged. Any advice would be great. Thanks and have a great day.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I would measure once a month. Same day and time and wearing (if anything) the same clothes! Good luck :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    tape measure what???

lol, no, just kidding. i take measurements of my hips, waist, chest, and neck once a month.
  • ghandrews
    ghandrews Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've heard the following advice regarding tracking progress while trying to lose body fat. Ideally you can weigh AND measure your waist once a week. As long as one of those numbers keeps going down, you are successfully losing body weight. When both of those stall, then readjust your diet.

This is a good video that touches on what I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33QMNBEzIM
  • PrettyLydie
    PrettyLydie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like I've gotten smaller, but the scale hasn't moved. Its always reassuring to know that I'm still shrinking in size even though I'm not losing weight.
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    I do it every 2 weeks
  • StephanieHolloway
    Options
    I weigh on Monday mornings and measure every other Monday morning.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    While I weigh myself daily, I only tape measure monthly.
    It's too much a pain and too hard to track weekly trends.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Once a month :) Takes awhile for changes significant enough to see on the tape measure!
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I must be way off - I measure every 2 months - my switch to every other week since my weight loss has stalled a bit
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    I have when I've weighed once a week....but I may change to once a month. Once a week isn't showing enough progress for my taste, so I think I'll do it once a month.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I would say once a month as well. I'm doing the 30 day shred and I measured myself the day I started and am not measuring until the day I complete the 30 days. (I've just done day 4 today) :smile:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I do once a month, but in the beginning, every week or two is good.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I don't do it at set intervals because I save it for when the scale is being a jerk. That way I don't get all frustrated and despondent and want to quit if I'm not losing pounds because I can clearly see a loss in inches. My only sadness is that MFP doesn't automatically broadcast your inches lost the way they do pounds lost.
  • jocember
    jocember Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do mine once a month on the 18th (sometimes the 17th or 19th if I forget/can't wait) and try to do my measurements without clothes on for the best results. I measure my neck, bust, waist, hips and left bicep, thigh and calf. It's been really helpful since there have been months where I didn't lose much in weight, but I lost in inches and it helps keep me motivated. Idk if once a week is necessary, but you could if you wanted to. I think I'd just get frustrated by not seeing results often enough lol.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I seem to follow a pattern when I am being "good". I lose for a few weeks and then hold for 1-2 weeks. I usually pull out the tape measure during the second week of the hold and see a difference.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I only do it about once a month. I need my fiance to help me, because I'm not that coordinated (especially with my left hand when I'm doing my right arm), so I do most of the measurements and he does the rest.
  • santamommy
    Options
    I do it every 4 weeks...
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I do mine every week since I am close to goal weight so my change in bodyfat doesn't show up on the scale as well as it used it. The measurements fluctuate alittle since I do it so often but I am ok with that.
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    i don't. would rather use the "jean size" test:) everything else comes along for the ride for me in measurements:)
  • MeanJeanNS
    MeanJeanNS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice!!! :happy:
    I've heard the following advice regarding tracking progress while trying to lose body fat. Ideally you can weigh AND measure your waist once a week. As long as one of those numbers keeps going down, you are successfully losing body weight. When both of those stall, then readjust your diet.

This is a good video that touches on what I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33QMNBEzIM