Bum knee advise please!

Options
Ok, so after wear and tear over the years, I've lost enough cartilage in my left knee that it's become a problem when exercising. I had one shot of cortisone about a year ago and all has been well. I stick to the bike and elliptical and get a great workout.

BUT, I've started the 30 day shred and love it. Only problem is the knee impact cardio stuff....jumping jacks, jump rope, running in place, etc. I start to feel it in that stupid knee, and don't want to cause further problems.

I can think of several alternatives to those particular exercises, but they seem lower impact and I want MORE cardio, not less.

Can any of you give me some great cardio alternatives similiar to jumping jacks, etc. that would give me a good burn?

Also, any advise on knee wraps/braces, etc.? The one I wear sucks, but not sure what else to try.

Any advise would be great!

Replies

• PagalM
    PagalM Posts: 19
    Options
    I had to actually stop the 30 day shred because of my knees really hurting afterwards. I am doing zumba and as long as I don't squat as much as the instructor I am ok with it plus lots of walking. That is where I get my cardio from.
  • sixxfan4ever
    sixxfan4ever Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees as well. But mine dislocate. The jumping jacks I dont do. Instead I jog in place.
  • zglmom
    zglmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree. zumba is easier on my knees! I also use a rebounder( mini trampoline) to run on and it gets your cardio in and doesn't hurt my knees!! I CANNOT run, do jumping jacks etc. Also an exercise bike is great for knees!! THe Dr. told my mom to use it after her knee surgery!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    boxing handwraps+gloves+punching bag
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I too have a bum knee. My right knee has almost no cartilage from the impact of an accident I had 5 years ago.

I love running and love Jillian, but find that I must do both in moderation. I run every 2 days (only 1-2 miles) and do Jillian every other day or every 2 days.

Sometimes i push through the pain, but there are some moves she does that really hurt, like jumping squats and high knees....when she does these, I just start doing something else. I start jumping up and down (like pretend jump rope) or do plank jacks (really good on the knees). That way you keep your heart rate up. I really can't do too many lunges or squats, so I just modify the moves, but make sure I'm giving it my all to keep my heart rate up.

I know it can be frustrating, but you have to be careful...you wouldn't want a total knee replacemement soon.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You might ask your doctor about Prolotherapy. It's an injectioof an irritant that is supposed to stimulate collagen and cartilage regrowth by directing your bodies attention TO the irritant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolotherapy
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise! Never thought about the mini tramp...that might take some of the impact off. I do a TON of biking which doesn't both the knees at all, but really like this 30 day shred, so will incorporate some of your ideas into her program. Luckily squats haven't bothered me yet...it's just the jumping/landing stuff. Boxing is a great idea too.

Thanks! Any more ideas are certainly welcome!!