exercise and gaining weight?

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
Hi everyone!

I haven't exercised in a while, just have been working and doing the occasional walk with Leslie Sansone's dvds but havent done that in the past week. When I don't exercise, I see the scale moving downwards.

This past Tuesday, I started the 30 day shred again and now the scale is creeping up! Why is this? I've done the search to see what others have posted, and please dont say that "muscle weighs more than fat" cuz I know that's not true. Muscle just takes up less space than fat...but they are both the same weight.

So whats causing the increase on the scale?

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    maybe now that you're burning a lot of calories your body needs more calories and you're not eating them back so it may be going in starvation
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    There's a whole lot of reasons.

Your diet - whether you are over-calorie'd or under-calorie'd. Eating under your caloric need can also cause weight to increase, because your body retains the fat incase it goes into starvation mode. Happened to me recently, which led to me increasing my caloric intake. Your Carb-Protein-Fat ratio makes a difference too.

Hormones could well lead to weight gain/weight stagnation. Water weight due to retention.

And hey, never go by scale. Always go by inches.

:o)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Also why does your diary have 2k cals as a goal, but you're eating only 1200 :\
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So I happened to sneak into your diary to get a better idea. And well, there are a couple of fallacies I see in there.

You are eating way under your calories. Your carbs are over the goal, but you aren't eating enough. I think that's the main reason.

Hope this helps you!
  • clairerbear
    Options
    The same thing is happening to me, weight not shifting, im going to the gym 3 x times a week, my measurements are increasing
    aswell, ive just been told to lower my carb intake and increase my protein, I must admit some days i'm finding it hard to reach my calorie intake, have been under it a few times. Bit confused on the whole thing really
  • j99li
    Options
    Also why does your diary have 2k cals as a goal, but you're eating only 1200 :\

I have it set on maintenance and I always aim to have 500 calories left over. Its the Olivia method being posted on MFP
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    this past tuesday you started, as in two days ago?

ask this question in two months. You need to let your body adjust. Also, carbs make you gain water weight. You are over 200g a day in carbs. Way too high. Get to 100g carbs a day and watch the water weight and the body fat melt off.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    When you work out you create tiny little tears in your muscles so your body holds onto water to help repair these muscles.

Don't worry about it, it's not a true weight gain and the scale will go back down.
  • cafren23
    cafren23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are working out, high cardio etc, it turns the fat in your body to muscle. Basic biological fact.
  • j99li
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are working out, high cardio etc, it turns the fat in your body to muscle. Basic biological fact.

how does muscle weigh more than fat? If i have 5 lbs of muscle, it will still be 5lbs if it turns to fat......They are just sized differed. Muscle just takes up less room.
  • j99li
    Options
    bump