I Quit

Options
smoking that is and worried about the weight gain that happens!
I joined a challenge starting today!
Any X smokers? what have you done? what do you do with your hands?

Replies

• frcfd6
    frcfd6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Took chantix, been smoke free for over a year now..
  • lucinepper
    Options
    I gained 80+ pounds when I quit in 1988. I guess that isn't quite true as I started dieting after I gained 30 pounds and you know how those yo-yo's work. To help with the weight gain, I would suggest seeing a dietician on a weekly basis for about 10 weeks. They can help with things like cravings and what to put in your fingers and not in your mouth.

Good luck of the quitting (smoking that is). I know is isn't easy.
  • eissak
    eissak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I quit smoking 2.5 years ago, and it is the best/hardest life change I have ever made. It is so worth it for the health reasons, your sense of smell and taste will improve drastically, lung capacity, and just feeling better over all. I did put on weight as most people do, but I wasn't active at the time. I kept a pen or pencil around, a tooth pick, anything I could hold. suckers satisfy the oral and hand fixation. Whenever I was in the car (when I smoked the most) I kept the windows rolled up and sang really, obnoxiously loud to keep my mind off it. It's hard at first, but every day that goes by you think of it less and less. Staying active will really help with keeping off those pounds, and keeping your mind off it. Think about it, it's a lot harder to run and work out if you can't breath!! Great job, keep it up. It is so worth the hardship!!
  • JennM874
    JennM874 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I never smoked. But my husband smoked 1.5 packs a day for 23 years. He quit over a year ago now. What helped him was the nicotine patch, and sugar free candy. He also kept a rubber band on his wrist in the beginning, and would snap it whenever he got a craving. Good Luck!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Good for you for making the decision to quit! I quit two and a half years ago. I took Chantix for about 12 days to aid in quitting.

I carried twizzlers with me everywhere I went! And dranks lots and lots of water!!!!

Best of luck to you!
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    Nicorette and walking worked for me. I haven't had one in about 2 months, and I am doing ok.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I quit July 24, 2009. I did it cold turkey. At first, I sucked on candy but after a coupe months, I was fine.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked, like the poster before me, but my Mom, sister, SIL and MIL have all used Chantix with great success!!! Our county offers a program the medication was free as long as they attended a once a week group session for 9 weeks to discuss any issues they were having with the medication and what was working for them as far as the smoking withdrawals, habits etc. Good luck!!!!
  • Katie41907
    Options
    Dumb Dumbs!!!! I'm not calling you one....I'm saying to go get a bag of dumb dumb suckers! Probably not the best for calories but it's perfect for that hand movement addiction. You suck on the dumb dumb when you get a craving. Eventually you are going to start pulling the sucker of and just putting the stick in you mouth and hands.....then eventually you will get tired of having a slimy grose stick in your hand and you are basically over the addiction at that point. I quit cold turkey and used this method. It also gives you a different taste to expect. So when you actually smoke again and it doesn't taste like a dumb dumb it really makes you wanna irk!

Good luck!

And for those of you who don't know what dumb dumbs are, it's a sucker (lollipop).
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    I am in my 3rd month smoke free. I have gained about 10 pounds since i quit. I slept a lot in the beginning so i wouldn't think about it. now I get up and do the dishes or clean the bathroom or those things that i've been putting off for months cause i just didn't want to do it (organize cupboards, clean out closets). I also just started an exercise program at work, and am thinking seriously about getting a dog to walk. ;)
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I used Chantix for 30 days to quit....it was the only thing that actually CHANGED my habits. It forces you to actually....and picked up knitting and beadwork to keep my hands busy. I still use the knitting and beadwork to keep my hands and head busy at night to keep myself from snacking, I haven't touched a cigarette since and it's been over 3 years. (I smoked for over 15 years)
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I quit over a year ago n ow at forst I did put on alot of weight more the fact that i swapped them for chocolate, but once I got over the first 2 months I was ok after that. It is not an easy thing but worth it in th long run even if you put weight on you can do something about that after, as you will be fitter due to a larger lung capacity which will help with weight loss, so don't worry too much about the scales, but try to eat better but give in to things if it means you smoking again.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 6 years ago. It was the hardest thing I ever did. I did chew nicotine gum, but only when I really wanted a cigarette.
    And, I want to say, Good for you!
    My advice, and it's different for everyone, but you know, be nice to yourself. If you smoked for a long time it became a coping mechanism and you'll learn new ways of coping with everyday stress but then something will happen and you have a cigarette, just give yourself a break, you slipped up, you don't have to start smoking again, just learn from it and move on.
    Some people suggest avoiding your triggers but I don't think that you have to. for instance, I always had a cigarette when I got into my car after work, but after two weeks of not smoking, I got all the way home and I hadn't thought about a cigarette, the brain forms new associations. so drinking, I drank alcohol, but after awhile, it didn't remind me of smoking, the brain forms new associations.
    So take some time for yourself and manage stress and take it one day at a time:flowerforyou:
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 23 yrs....................I had tried everything, patches, gum, lozenges, Chantix, nothing worked.....................I tried an electronic cig and only had to use it sparingly for about a month.............especially when I went out drinking with friends.............been smoke free since August 10th, 2011 :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    chewed copious amounts of Thrive gum (way better than nicorette) 3 years now smoke free... I worked out like a mad woman, and was heavily into whitewater kayaking so I literally couldn't smoke, and when I was off the water my lungs burned from the work so smoking just hurt like hell. Biking also was key. SO really just heavy excercise that makes your lungs burn. lol.
  • FlabulessFam
    Options
    Good for you!! I have been smoke free now for a little over 3 years!! It was the best thing I have ever done for myself! I just feel better. Now that I have decided to get the weight off as well, I'm feeling even better! I did gain weight but I have always been overweight so that wasn't a big deal! Now that I want the weight off, it's a big deal! Some things that helped me were gum, , tic tacs, and mind over matter. It's not easy and I will tell you, even 3 years later there are still days where I would love to have one. But I know I can't or else I will be a smoker again. Good luck and keep up the great work!!
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    i guit almost 5 years ago using the nicorette inhilator... took less than to weeks to fully quit... although the cravings were worst for first 4 days i found it pretty easy as i could almost use it like a real cgarette so my hands always had something to do... the downside was to replace the cravings i ate myself 6 stone heavier... took me 18 months to work it off.. wish i knew about this site then to have kept me on track... good luck to you in whatever you decide :)
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    and should have said quit... not guit lol
  • mickijwat
    Options
    Chantix and chewing gum, stride usually since it lasts longer. I also started the couch to 5k running app, which at first was hard due to the lack of breath!!! But you work your way up, I am motivated to stay not smoking through eating well and the exercise is a bonus because I dont want to smoke because it drains me, and i want to exercise because it helps me lose weight rather than gain. :) Hope that helps. Good luck
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I quit close to a year ago without a single slip-up. I read Alan Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" plus I had been "working" on quittig for a while before that (Chantix, cold turkey, etc...)... I had actually just lost all of my weight (65lbs) and didn't have any weight gain from it... but I was also closely monitoring my calories as well as ramping up my exersize routine. I think one reason I didn't gain too was because of the philosophy in the book which discourages using "substitutes" for smoking. In my opinion (non-professsion but personal experience) the wieght gain from quitting stems from replacing the habit with another (like eating). Good luck and just remember being healthy is the goal and it outwieghs any percieved sacrafices.