working out barefoot?

Options
I was wondering if anyone else works out barefoot and if it was bad for your knees?

I do a lot of exercise at home and lately have noticed my knees have started crunching lately. What are your views?

Replies

• Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I cannot workout w/o gym shoes. I pronate my feet, so without stability sneakers I get bad knee pain.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout? I do pilates barefoot, which includes mat exercises, using stability balls, using a tower machine, etc. I wouldn't do any sort of jumping motion barefoot or anything where I feel my feet/arches could benefit from support.
  • patunia63
    Options
    Working out barefoot takes some getting used to. Typically your knees and ankles will hurt for a while because they are taking impact that they have not received before. The top of your foot may also hurt from you foot "spreading". If you enjoy it, I would give it some time but don't injure yourself permanently. Take anti-inflammatory and ice your joints. As your upper legs and gluts get stronger your knees will become more protected and hopefully not hurt:) Maybe alternate shoes on and off for a while?
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would never do any kind of cardio workout barefoot - my shins are too fragile to take the impact that would involve. I have to wear orthotics and special trainers just to be able to cope with regular aerobics in the gym :)

At home especially I make sure I'm wearing the right footwear, because the floor is very unforgiving!
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i wake up, and then workout straight away (yup, i work out in my Jammies), whic means barefoot. its only 30 day shred though, nothing to major. I was brought up as one of those kids who barely ever wore shoes unless I really had to, so i usually workout barefoot, unless im running, or cardioing. all my weight routines and stuff where there is not much impact/running around i do barefoot, it seems I'm Much more stable. I have problem knees, so either way, it twinges a bit
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    blimey, dont your feet start to burn?!

i made that mistake a while back, i used to do zumba on the wii everyday in just my socks and my feet started to feel like they were on fire!! now i make sure i have my trainers on no matter what workout i do! even if its just jumping jacks for 1 minute - i stick on my trainers because i dont want to go thro the pain like i did a while a go! and yeah it will have impact on your knees, soo thats why your in pain with them. get some trainers on your feet and you wont be in agony afterwards :smile:
  • valwes04
    Options
    I've always been a shoe free person... :) I mean I wear them when I go out and I do love a great pair of heels- but I'm a stay at home homeschooling mom.. I'm usually barefoot. I workout bare foot but all I'm doing is alternating 30DS, BL cardio max, BL power sculpt, and Yoga meltdown- I do them in the comfort of my living room. The only issue I've had was a slight pain in the instep/arch of my left foot and I just modified exercises till it was feeling better...
    Good luck on your exercising- Either with shoes or shoe free!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I don't like shoes much and am always barefoot around the house. Which means, yes, I workout barefoot at home. I do wear shoes sometimes for the cardio I do because that's hurt my feet in the past (muscle strain in the foot, lol).

I workout in a carpeted room. I made the mistake once in a room with a rug on tile. Very unforgiving and won't do that again.
  • sunanmoon75
    Options
    I do all of my workouts at home barefoot. Right now that consists of turbo jam or walk away the lbs DVD's and some pilates. My knees are already crunchy they have been for years. I also have a wood floor now, used to have carpet which is why I started barefoot my shoes would stick to carpet it was not good.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Barefoot insanity workouts- I'm afraid of ruining my carpet wearing sneakers every day! Plus, barefoot doesn't bother me.