Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Seriously, diet soda?

I'm looking to see if anyone else has experienced this -- I was in desperate need of caffeine yesterday at lunch and as I don't drink coffee or tea, all that was on hand in my office was a Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. I've weaned myself off of soda pretty well but I reached for it and drank it. Feeling guilty, I drank the equivalent of 2 bottles of water throughout the afternoon afterward. About 4-5 hours later, I felt a really nasty headache developing on the left side of my head. I figured I was just hungry, had my dinner and drank water... didn't notice the headache much while eating so I chalked it up to being hungry. The headache got WAY worse when I got home, to the point that I went to bed at 8 o'clock with the entire left side of my face throbbing.

Could it have been the aspartame/sucralose? I haven't had diet soda in a few months and it just seems like a coincidence!

Replies

• kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    IMO it most likely was the "sugars/sweeteners" in the soda. Just goes to show how bad sodas are for us, even the diet ones. It's all chemically created, not natural.
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    IMHO- I think the headache could have been from caffeine given that you don't take any cafeeine at all.
    But, if you are used to some kind of caffeine, I doubt that the soda gave you a headache.

Also, a lot of changes are going on in the body when you are trying to lose weight and this is part of it I guess.
  • that happens w my husband when he has diet. he gets migraines from the aspertane in it (i know spelled wrong) so he wont drink it.
    it could be your body reacting to it or to the all of a sudden caffeine you gave it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    IMO it most likely was the "sugars/sweeteners" in the soda. Just goes to show how bad sodas are for us, even the diet ones. It's all chemically created, not natural.

No, it doesn't.

It goes to show how SOME people have an adverse reaction to some ingredients. Most people can drink diet sodas with no ill effects. One person's bad reaction like me saying cheese is the devil, as when i eat it i come out in a rash, therefore cheese = poison.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    I haven't had diet soda in a few months and it just seems like a coincidence!

In MY opinion it was a coincidence. :flowerforyou:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    The only real bad thing about diet soda is the fake sugars make you crave more food they've proven.

People complain about the sweetners and how they do this and that, but they are seriously no worse for you then a lot of other things you do/use in life. Even those people who think they live a clean and pure lifestyle more then likely use/deal with something that gives you more free radical damage then the sweetners ever could.
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    I haven't had diet soda in a few months and it just seems like a coincidence!

In MY opinion it was a coincidence. :flowerforyou:

I agree!
  • lori4013
    lori4013 Posts: 73 Member
    I cant drink much diet soda. It gives me stomach problems. Sometimes just one whole diet soda does that to me. So I would say it's the sweetener.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    You replaced 2 bottles of water with two bottles of diuretic. Maybe the headache was from partial dehydration.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Caffeine....
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    You replaced 2 bottles of water with two bottles of diuretic. Maybe the headache was from partial dehydration.

More you replaced 2 bottles of a diuretic with 2 bottles of a diuretic with artificial sweeteners. Unless you're saying there is no water at all in diet soda?
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    I get severe headaches when I ingest aspartame or sucrolose, even 1 sip/bite's worth. Some people react to them, and some don't. Mine was a developed "allergy" (if that's what it is) though - It didn't used to give me headaches until about 5 or 6 years ago. I can't even chew most gum because it is made with aspartame, and I gotta check labels. In your case, it could very well be the caffeine because you have been restricting it, and the only way you'll find out for sure is to eat/drink something else (that is caffeine free) with aspartame or sucrolose in it and see if you have a reaction. If you don't, then it probably wasn't the artificial sweeteners, if you do, it could very well be it. But not having a reaction doesn't mean automatically it was the caffeine either - it could have just been a coincidence.
  • StaceyMayfonz
    StaceyMayfonz Posts: 36 Member

If you do decide to drink soda go with the regular not the diet. The natural sugars are a lot easier for the body to process where as fake sugars are extremely hard for the human body to break down. so yes there are more calories in a regular soda but all in all it is healthier than diet soda.