Those On Maintenance

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
Now that I am closing in on my goal (despite not losing for 4 weeks and being there by now:grumble: ) I have been wondering about maintenance calories and my questions go out to those who are there. Are you following what this site has laid out for you regarding those calories or have you found your own set amount? Are you following it exactly? Have you stayed pretty much the same weight while following it? Does the same apply regarding exercise calories, meaning is it still added to your total calorie count for you to consume (I'm pretty sure of the answer for that one, but humor me.)?

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    Now that I am closing in on my goal (despite not losing for 4 weeks and being there by now:grumble: ) I have been wondering about maintenance calories and my questions go out to those who are there. Are you following what this site has laid out for you regarding those calories or have you found your own set amount? Are you following it exactly? Have you stayed pretty much the same weight while following it? Does the same apply regarding exercise calories, meaning is it still added to your total calorie count for you to consume (I'm pretty sure of the answer for that one, but humor me.)?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Pretty much yes to all.

I actually gained about three pounds (which have since left me) after I switched to maintenance.

I have no idea why this is, but I kept the faith and it dropped off without any adjustments.

Yes, you still get exercise calories. I find it's harder for me to eat all of my exercise calories, so I don't always. I use this to "average out my deficit/surplus" (again, not scientific) and eat a few more calories if I'm hungry on my non-exercise days.
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Thanks viviakay! I can image your body being used to eating so few calories and then bumping up to maintenance PLUS exercise calories....now that's a feast!:happy:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance for a month and having trouble getting to my goal of 1560, I've lost 3 extra pounds. So I'm still learning and adjusting my new calorie allowance. But I have to say it's nice to have those extra calories:tongue:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'be been on maintenance for about a month now but gained 1 pound the first week.
    I've been the same weight, 126, for about 3 weeks now. I've been eating my 1690 cals (w/o exercise) plus whatever cals I burn that day. You'll do just fine SN.

Great job girl!!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • stilistjen
    Options
    My weight fluctuates a little here and there. Usually when I have too much sugar (even if I'm within my calorie count). I think I'm just sensitive to refined sugar. I love my days that I have a heavy workout day, because I love to eat. But it's amazing how much easier maintenance is compared to losing. One more reason not to gain again : )

Congratulations!!!

Jenelle
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ive hovered between 197 and 192 for the last 3 months now, and If I wasn't a believer in the fact that the body fluctuates a few pounds every day before, I SURE AM NOW. But yeah, that is my window, and for 3 months I have stayed in it, I'm eating A LOT of calories now, compared to what I used to. My maintain is 2700, and I exercise 5 days a week, so those days I'm eating 3400, it's hard even finding that much healthy food, I do it, but it causes me to have to get up earlier to make something that I know works for me for lunch. But I have tried to stay above 2400 (that was my low limit) and for the most part have. A few times I went out and had a few alcoholic beverages and then realized the next day that that plate of hotwings at midnight after 5 guinnesses isn't a good thing. But over 3 months that has only happened maybe twice. Am I buff now? Not yet, no. But I can see the very slight ridges of my Abs starting to bulge if I squint a little. I know by this time next month they will actually be visible to others! Woo Hoo! and I have calves again, actual cut, defined calf muscles. Sorry, don't know how this turned into a pom pom session.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ive hovered between 197 and 192 for the last 3 months now, and If I wasn't a believer in the fact that the body fluctuates a few pounds every day before, I SURE AM NOW. But yeah, that is my window, and for 3 months I have stayed in it, I'm eating A LOT of calories now, compared to what I used to. My maintain is 2700, and I exercise 5 days a week, so those days I'm eating 3400, it's hard even finding that much healthy food, I do it, but it causes me to have to get up earlier to make something that I know works for me for lunch. But I have tried to stay above 2400 (that was my low limit) and for the most part have. A few times I went out and had a few alcoholic beverages and then realized the next day that that plate of hotwings at midnight after 5 guinnesses isn't a good thing. But over 3 months that has only happened maybe twice. Am I buff now? Not yet, no. But I can see the very slight ridges of my Abs starting to bulge if I squint a little. I know by this time next month they will actually be visible to others! Woo Hoo! and I have calves again, actual cut, defined calf muscles. Sorry, don't know how this turned into a pom pom session.
    Great job Bankable!
    You know what, when I squint, I have the flattest tummy I've ever seen.:noway:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Thanks again all!

Banks and Joanna...:laugh:

You know, when I squint, I see.......ah who am I trying to kid? I see the same except now I look like Mr. Magoo. :happy:

oh yeah....I didn't remember to give myself a toot. TOOT TOOT!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post....I still have a ways to go, but I'm sure looking forward to getting to maintenance! Congrats all of you! You are inspirations to us all!
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Thanks for this post....I still have a ways to go, but I'm sure looking forward to getting to maintenance! Congrats all of you! You are inspirations to us all!

:happy:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You'll have to repost this in a month or two... I'm not there yet, but will need this info also (hopefully sooner than later :happy: )
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    I now longer log my food and exercise....in the 3+ months it took to lose the 18 pounds I needed to lose, I got used to the lifestyle and eating changes. I have stuck with them, so now I use the scale as my guide....I weigh myself nearly every day, and that tells me if I have to be a little extra careful that day, or if I can relax a bit. I have a "trigger weight" that will get me back to daily logging, though. So far (since December) I haven't had to go back to it. :bigsmile:
  • Xtracrispy69
    Options
    I've been on maintenance for 3 months and have dropped close to five pounds. Still exercising and merely cut my cals by 100 under maintenance. As long as you don't go back to old habits and continue your calorie counting you'll do great