Low calorie snacks?

Options
Anyone have tips/advise on low calorie snacks/meals (non fruit/vegetable)? I get hungry between meals but find it to be such a challenge to stay under my cal count when I munch on snacks.

I found Special K chips are only 110 calories for 27 chips! Yum!! What a find! :) Anyone else have any low cal snacks/meals they would like to share?

Replies

• CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky. 70 calories for an ounc (which requires a significant amount of chewing!), plus it's protein, not carbs. The only downside is the sodium, if you're watching your sodium intake.

Another easy lo-cal snack is kosher dill pickles: just 20 calories per pickle; 5 calories per "spear" and I find that it's an excellent appetite killer.

One of my favorite low-calorie lunches is a bag of romaine lettuce and two servings of anchovies -- very filling and less than 100 calories for the whole meal.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have 6 "mini meals" a day (courtesy of my dr's office Dietition) and it seem sto really help me not feel too full after each meal while not letting my body get to the point of being really hungry. Apples and 1/2 a serving of walnuts is a favorite. Frozen blueberries are fun to eat and they take a while. Stauffer's Animal crackers are great (100 cal for 13) they come in chocolate and original and the chocolate ones taste like the oreo thins and are sooooo much cheaper.
  • alicerunnergirl
    Options
    Try Coco Pop! rice cakes which are like 15 calories for a 6 inch diameter cake, jerky is also good. Pre-portioned cheese sticks come in 60 calorie size. Fruits and veggies are the ultimate when it comes to low calorie stacks though. You can dip them in hummus or cottage cheese for a low calorie snack that has flavor!! Hope this helps!!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Try to stick with a protein/fruit. They will keep you from getting hungry. All the "snack" type foods will make you hungrier. Mostly because you're body doesn't need those calories. Their empty and your body will keep telling you to feed it.

Try a 2% string cheese stick

a boiled egg

10 almonds

All great.
  • bettermomma28
    bettermomma28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I enjoy air popped popcorn. Three cups is next to nothing in cals and has tons of fiber. Sometimes I'll sprinkle it with a little parm cheese and cracked black pepper. Delish!
  • monicaroozo
    Options
    Clementines are excellent at 35 calories! Or a Granny Smith apple with a laughing cow cheese at just over 100 cals.

When I need a chocolate fix I go for the Fiber One 90 calorie brownie.

Home popped popcorn in a pan (Orville Redenbacher's White Corn is 15 calories for 1 cup popped) adding a small amount of olive oil to get them popping will double that total to 30-40 calories a serving.
  • jmalaschak
    jmalaschak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sensible Portions Veggie Straws!! They taste like chips and they are like 130 calories for 38 of them. :) Don't know where you live but we find them at Sam's Club.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    -Cottage Cheese with Fiber One 80 calorie cereal; I love them together :)
    -Egg whites
    -Fruit smoothies

Feel free to look at my diary for more ideas :)
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I found last week that Blue Diamond now sells boxes of Wasabi Soy Almonds prepackaged into 100 calorie bags. I LOVE them even though it is cheaper to just portion them myself.

16 Reduced Fat Wheat Thins + 1 Laughing Cow Queso Fresco & Chipotle cheese wedge = so good my non-dieting youngest brother keeps trying to share with me whenever he sees I have them.

My current absolutely favorite snack is fresh blackberries with whipped cream. I know you don't want fruit or veggie snack ideas but with the whipped cream this snack is sooooo decadent I had to tell you anyway.

I second the poster who said the low calorie packaged snacks don't really fill you up. I also understand needing a point to start off from though so I recommend Fiber One granola bars, Quaker rice snacks (lots of different flavors), and maybe some crackers with salsa.
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas!
    Here are some of my favorite low cal snacks

Hummus with baby carrots
    Peanut butter and rice cakes
    Laughing cow cheese
    Herbal tea
    Skinny fries (trader joes)
  • JazzberryJam
    Options
    thanks for the tip all! i will def keep in mind when i go grocery shopping! :)
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love a Wasa cracker with a wedge of Laughing Cow Cream Cheese (the veggie garden kind). Also a container of Chobani is delicious and super filling.

Actually, I made a red lentil/curry spread today that went really well with the cracker and cheese. I'll share the recipe once I write it up and photograph it. :)
  • Xandralexa
    Options
    Try sugar-free pudding (chocolate or vanilla) 80 cals a serving.
  • CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The pre-made/pre-packaged Jello sugar-free pudding is only 60 cals a serving. Add a tablespoon of walnuts or slivered almonds to that and you get what "feels" like a "fancy" dessert and you also get the benefit of the protein. Sometimes I'll dip a small banana into sugar-free pudding. It's like eating a banana cream pie with none of the guilt. :-)
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Green apple and about 15 raw almonds
    Non fat greek yogurt (one of my favorites)
    Chocolate Shakeology (only 140 calories and 18 g protein)
    Cottage cheese
    Hummus and celery/carrots
    Banana with 1 T of peanut butter
    Low fat mozzarella cheese

Can you tell I like my snacks :) The key is to have some protein at each meal, including snacks.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Turkey Pepperoni. Low Cal, Low Carb, Low Fat, HIGH Protein
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Definitely have a protein snack w/ the fruit/veggies. Greek yogurt, string cheese, almonds, and some of the suggestions given above. Those 100 cal snacks and such are just gonna make you hungry and then mad b/c you're still hungry lol.