Help please. trying hard but no loss!!

Options

Replies

• Brittypop
    Options
    What does your sodium intake look like on a day to day basis? Excess sodium really can pack on extra water weight and you won't see much of a change on the scale.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised.. I WISH I lost 1 pound per 10 days! I know it seems little now, but it will pick up. Give your body time to adjust. 10 days is really short to judge anything.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree with the slow and steady thought, and that you're probably gaining muscle which weigh alot, but taking off inches.

I'm going to put a plug in for water.......if you're exercising a lot more you probably need more water. if you're dehydrated your body will hang on to water. If you're not drinking enough already, try upping your water intake- a trainer told me to drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily (example, 200 pounds =100 ounces water daily). I found that helped
  • Leo247
    Leo247 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I will try to eat a bit more. Am sticking to unprocessed food as much as possible (apart from low fat yoghurts) I want to change the way I eat, not just lose weight. I am definitely doing as much excercise as I have said. My dog is loving all the walks!!
    Looking for a bit of advice please. I'm 5'9" 38 year old female who weighs 185lbs and wants to get down to 155 (where I look healthiest).

I've been on MFP for 10 days, have cut my calorie intake down to 1300-1500 (including quite low fat and no gluten) and am doing 30 day shred daily plus walking briskly for 90 minutes compared to my previous excercise regime of 20 minutes dog walking per day.

So far I have lost 1lb :-(

What am I doing wrong?
    Well according to BMR calculator your BMR is 1605. If you're doing as much exercise as you say, I'm thinking you're burning about 1000 calories a day. So you are probably eating too little at 1300. I'd say bump it up to 1600. Also, water retention plays in here as it sounds like you just starting exercising. Give it a couple of more weeks and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • knelson422
    Options
    I am 38 too and STUCK!!! I ran a half marathon, 15 K, and 5 K last year, and lost 36 pounds (that I had gained from my last pregnancy.). I also made a deal with someone and did not eat chocolate for a year (That was over in Dec and I gained 6 pounds over Christmas. So, now I pay myself $1 for each day I don't eat chocolate. I only have about $7 in my envelope so far. I need to work on that one.) But now I remain 168-170, where I get stuck all of the time (I have been here since June, even through my 15K, didn't lose 1 pound). Sounds like you changed up what you are doing, that is great. Don't burn yourself out though. With these circuit workouts you are building more muscle which will weigh more. Another good JM video is "No more trouble zones" Maybe after 30 day shred step up to this one, and walk for 30 min so that you are building more muscle. I think hormones are in play too with us. I watched Rachael Ray and she had Dr. Oz on and he said the 3 MOST important things for weight loss - in order are:
    1. Get enough sleep (bc there is a hormone that is released (I think cortisol) during sleep that you need to lose weight)
    2. Eat right
    3. Exercise

I thought it was interesting that exercise came last, but if you aren't sleeping and eating right, I guess it isn't going to work.

Keep working hard and eating right. Do you feel better? I just read a blog from someone I am friends with who has been doing MFP for 2 years. She has lost 16 pounds, 8 pounds a year. To me, that didn't sound like much, and I would have gotten frustrated. But she said just how much better she feels, and she wants to lose 8 more still. Slow and steady sounds like it is the key. We can do this. It is a forever change.

For me, I know that whatever I am doing needs to be a permanent change. I won't be able to do Bob Harper Inside Out method forever. I need to get control of my eating and just DO IT!!! Good luck!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Did you gain the weight faster than that??
  • rose0409
    Options
    I also was discouraged with lbs. lost but I took measurements and have lost 4 inches in my stomach and 3 in my hips; so that being said, don't get discouraged because it may be that you are "shaping up" and as they say, muscle weights more than fat...
  • ViSabbi
    ViSabbi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Woah! Don't give up ladies! If the current strategy doesn't work, you have to adjust and try something else. First of all, you NEED to drink at least half your weight in ounces per day. In my case, I'm drinking 3L of water, never less than 2 and it helps a lot.

Then, you need to eat smaller meals, more regularly. In my case, I'm eating almost all day! My only real meal is for dinner (because the bf is there, otherwise I'd split my calories differently...I have to keep nearly half for dinner, or at least a third of what I'm allowed) Eventually I know I will have to switch that to morning, and keep low calories all day, or separate them equally during the day)

Just so you know, I rarely meet my sugars/carb goal. I get over it in fibers and proteins though. If you don't want to cut carbs (like me), just make smart choices and lower quantities. Whole grain (real one, not split with enriched white flour) bread or pasta, shouldn't be the main part of your meal, but a side dish, as for any carb.) It's not about cutting out everything you like, but making smart choices.

Another suggestion, eat within 30 mins of you waking up. It's essential to fireup your metabolism. Eating all day (healthy snacks) will keep it going.

It's indeed harder to lose weight when getting older but that doesn't mean it's impossible, it might take a bit more time, a bit more efforts, but it's absolutely doable. If you want, add me as a friend and I will help you as much as I can, answer any question you might have if I do know the answer. I've been studying nutrition on my own for quite some time, and it will be a pleasure to share with you if you want.

Hope it helps! :)
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    CHECK YOUR INCHES!! In the last month I have only lost 5 lbs BUT I have lost 10 INCHES and am now a size smaller in pants!! Because you are excersising you are replacing you fat with toned muscle, that is why the scale is not moving as much. GOOD LUCK && FEEL FREE TO ADD
  • krill1
    krill1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been working out 5x a week for an hour at least each time. I also only take in about 1600 calories per day. From experience you have to be paitent. After only ten days not much will happen. After a month if you have only losty 1 lb then you should re-analyze your diet workout regimen. Walking is great but maybe you should jion a gym where there is more equipment available. Thats what I do, love it!
    Good Luck and hang in there!
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for "real" advice. You can tell us what your doing, but if we can't see it then we are blinding giving advice. Open your diary and then ask.
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That happend to me in the beginning. No loss for weeks. After my body adjusted, I guess, it started to drop. You might need to up your calories since you are working out so much. And make sure you are getting a lot of protein. The last thing you eat at night can really bloat you so go for low salt/ sodium. Stay with it.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I personally think we RUSH weightloss....1 . Divorce your scale...we fluctuate to often...spent a month embracing the changes...enjoy your new life! 2. How long did it take for you to make your bad eating habits...if you're like me it took years! So let it take time to come off. I have decided the slower it comes off the better my good habits will stick :)I
    Now I am by no means skinny so I am only sharing my own discoveries.
  • scooter8mitch
    scooter8mitch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Muscle weighs more than fat. During this first starting period it's best to look at how your clothes are fitting you. Also, you might want to try smaller portions of food at least 5 times a day instead of 3 meals and don't eat past 7p.m. at night to help increase your metabolism.

Good luck! :smile:
  • RavensFan20
    Options
    There are a lot of replies I breezed past so I apologize if I repeat something someone already said. How much water are you drinking? Sodium retains water weight and drinking lots of water will help flush that right out. I started in 9/2011 and lost 20 pounds but since I lift weights my biggest loss is in the fact that I went from 40.1% body fat to 30.7%. I also dropped from size 46 jeans down to 36.

Don't quit, you're starting out, I read one where she said, "slow and steady wins the race. That is the truth. Remember, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon.
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i just put this same thing under support and motivation. I don't get it either but I'm getting really discouraged!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    There are too many factors and not enough information.

Increasing protein while removing more of the processed foods from your diet. Not going "low carb" but just focus more on foods that will help you feel fuller and build lean muscle, which helps you burn more calories.

Drink LOTS of water, at the very minimum, 64oz a day.

More veggies, especially those that are high in fiber. Aids in digestion and in weight loss. Rule of thumb, the deeper/darker the color the better it is for you.

Are you still drinking soda/pop? Stop, even if it is diet, at least for a week. Soda and processed foods are REALLY high in sodium which can cause you to retain water that can alter your weight loss progress.

Try playing around a little with your calories. You are eating the same as I am and I'm 65lbs heavier than you are. Drop down to 1200-1300 calories for a 3 or 4 days to see if that helps change things.

Eat less, more often. Have smaller meals but then introduce between-meal snacks so that your body is always working to digest food, which burns calories (increases metabolism).

Do not eat large meals late in the evening. If you go to bed at 9pm, dont eat after 6pm, except for a small snack. Also, try a 10min mini-workout an hour or so before bed. Nothing major, but like some weight training with 5lbs weights, enough to get your heart rate up a little and blood flowing. This will raise your metabolism slightly to continue digesting your last meal.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Muscle weighs more than fat. During this first starting period it's best to look at how your clothes are fitting you. Also, you might want to try smaller portions of food at least 5 times a day instead of 3 meals and don't eat past 7p.m. at night to help increase your metabolism.

Good luck! :smile:

Muscle and fat weigh the same...muscle just takes up much less space :)
  • newme201213
    newme201213 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    its the same with me....i am just hoping i would lose slowly...i started 30DS and i am in day 3 and see difference in body slowly..
    we have to do this...we cant give up because the scale does not change...

we have to be fit and strong..so dont give up..keep going ..
    nothing is impossible..