I am about to give up....

Options
ok, i have been working out for 6 days a week anywhere from 35 min to 1 hour. i only eat the calories allowed for me to eat, usally 1250 a day. this has been almost a year. the first 4 months or so i lost 20 pounds, which is great. however, every since i have gained a few, lost a few but my body will not allow me to be under 180 for some reason. 3 days ago, i was, what do you know here i am today back at 180. i switch up my exercise so my body will be "confused" i have 2 bad knees, so usually biking, power walking, and swiming. i am extremly active, i never sit still. in march i went to my dr in tears, i am CONVINCED something is chemically wrong w/ me, my husband is in absolute disbelief. he sees all the hours a week i work out & how healthy i eat. i do research upon research, and NOTHING works. i am really sad, i think people think, oh i have heard that before & think i am "cheating" somewhere or not thinking accurate calorie amounts. at this stage in my life, i feel like a nutritionist, i know all the ins & outs of eating well balanced healthy small meals throughout the day. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, OR GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTION THAT FOR SOME REASON I HAVE NOT HEARD OVER THE LAST YEAR...

Replies

• leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the Dr.? maybe you need your thyroid checked?
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I was where you're at last August, I know exactly how you feel..........Take a breath and calm down.
    What has your doctor said about this? Has he/she tested your thyroid? No mine was not that problem. But my doctor tested mine first.......She understood that I was at my wits end.
  • jcarter0525
    Options
    i agree with the thyroid thing. if your thyroid is under active, it will be a LOT more difficult for you to lose weight. I've had an under active thyroid since i was 16. I was pretty thin until my 20's and now that i have my thyroid hormone's under control, i'm losing about 1 lb per week, however, i do have a lot more weight to lose than you do. i know that when i was at 175 in my teens, that was my weight. i never could get less than that. so it might just be your genetics, possibly? sorry if i couldn't be more helpful. hang in there!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I see you are under another post asking about adipex........That's what my doctor gave me, it was more for the metabolism boost than the appetite suppressant. My thyroid is on the low side, but still within the range that they cannot give you medicine for it. See my post under your adipex one.
  • amoreland
    amoreland Posts: 2
    Options
    do not give up! have you tried organic? I just joined Jillian Michael's site and have read her book Master Your Metabolism. She talks about cleaning up your diet, getting rid of food pumped with pesticides,artificial preservatives, and dyes. She replaces these with whole foods without all the toxins...things that inhibit hormonal balance and interfere with weight loss. I follow a workout routine that keeps the heart rate up...intervals of cardio, strength, and abs. This has been working for me so far. She does mention thyroid in her book. Might be worth looking into. All the best.
    -alicia
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting your thyroid checked, but I would also suggest upping your calories more. I lost a few pounds last year and went on a plateau for months. Someone on here suggested upping my calories. I was on the 1200 cals (plus whatever I burned that day in exercise). I upped my cal intake to my BMR (1400 + cals burned) and started dropping 2-3 pounds a week for awhile. I don't think you are eating enough. Give it a try. I know it's scary but it worked for me.
    MM
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    ok, i have been working out for 6 days a week anywhere from 35 min to 1 hour. i only eat the calories allowed for me to eat, usally 1250 a day.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, OR GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTION THAT FOR SOME REASON I HAVE NOT HEARD OVER THE LAST YEAR...

Are you eating a TOTAL of 1250? If you're working out 35 minutes to an hour, surely you are burning MORE than 50 calories!!! As has been posted in many threads every day, it's not really a good thing to be having a net intake of less than 1200 calories. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but perhaps you are not eating ENOUGH calories throughout the day so your body is holding on for dear life to the calories you are consuming. You may want to try eating at least 3/4 of your exercise calories back again (if you aren't already). It may help. I'd give it a week or two, because your body may not realize that it will really be getting the fuel it needs and it may take a little convincing. :flowerforyou:

I hope this helps out! Don't give up!!! :noway:

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    Yes, give it a week or two when you do up your calories. Your body will have to adjust. It took me about 10-14 days before I started dropping again. Thanks for mentioning that stratdl!
    MM
  • jed121949
    jed121949 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm having somewhat of the same problem. I swim laps for 45 minutes/4 times a week and weight train. Sometimes I also ride a stationary bike. I used to walk more but one knee is stiffening up on me. So to make a long story short, I've been told before that at my exercise level, I need to eat more, specifically protein. When I was attending Weight Watchers, the leader told me to eat my exercise points to break the plateau. She was right and I reached my goal. So, you may consider modifying your diet accordingly.
  • jenusell
    jenusell Posts: 8
    Options
    I am going to say what everyone else said- have your doctor check your thyroid. My mother had hypothyroid and weighed her heaviest before she started taking medication for it. Now she looks and acts healthier. If it's not that, then maybe your body just wants you to be at 180?? You don't undereat do you, because that can slow down your metabolism...
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this, but I am beyond impressed with how you've kept going. That's amazing - are you feling healthier and more toned, at least?

I'm afraid I can't do more than echo - thyroid + adding 200-300 calories to your current intake.
  • rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing...that sounds very low! Every time I try to eat too little I end up at a stand still.
    ok, i have been working out for 6 days a week anywhere from 35 min to 1 hour. i only eat the calories allowed for me to eat, usally 1250 a day.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, OR GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTION THAT FOR SOME REASON I HAVE NOT HEARD OVER THE LAST YEAR...

Are you eating a TOTAL of 1250? If you're working out 35 minutes to an hour, surely you are burning MORE than 50 calories!!! As has been posted in many threads every day, it's not really a good thing to be having a net intake of less than 1200 calories. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but perhaps you are not eating ENOUGH calories throughout the day so your body is holding on for dear life to the calories you are consuming. You may want to try eating at least 3/4 of your exercise calories back again (if you aren't already). It may help. I'd give it a week or two, because your body may not realize that it will really be getting the fuel it needs and it may take a little convincing. :flowerforyou:

I hope this helps out! Don't give up!!! :noway:

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    i agree, eat more. up your calories to 1800 or so for two weeks and see what happens. worth a shot at this point.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I'd say up your calories for a couple weeks, even to 1400, and see how that helps. :flowerforyou: