workout gear....recommendations??

Options
I'll soon be shopping for some new gear and would like to know what items you LOVE.... and what stores/website you purchased from. I'll be looking for running shoes, running shorts, pants, tops, etc.... even socks and sports bras and undies... Every pair of sweat pants i have ride down, every shirt i have rides up, and there is nothing worse than jogging on a treadmill with a giant wedgie.....!!

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    For running shoes I suggest a specialty running store, such as Fleet Feet, Roadrunner, etc. They specialize in being able to fit you for the shoes that will work for your stride and running style. Good shoes are a MUST if you start running.

As far as clothes, I like Lucy (lucy.com) and Lululemon (lululemon.com). Both are on the expensive side, but you can shop the Lucy sales section, I can usually get high quality tops for $15-20 at most. Running shorts are a splurge with me because I run so much and I can't stand crappy shorts or having to replace them all the time. The running shorts at Lululemon are amazing. All of these are super cute and having cute workout clothes helps motivate me :)

Sports bras are Moving Comfort for me (movingcomfort.com or check runningwarehouse.com - you can usually find it MUCH cheaper here). I love the Alexis bra (I'm a B cup, so these work well).

I find investing in good quality workout clothes that make me feel cute and keep all my girl bits in place both help motivate me and make me feel good while I'm running or at the gym.
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS shop at Marshalls for workout clothing.

Running Shoes - Head to a sport store like Sports Authority, try out a few shoes, run in them around the store and decide. You want a pair that doesn't stress you feet. I have been wearing Adidas for the longest.

Running shorts/Pants/Tops - Head to Marshalls or any similar store. Right now, I own 2 pairs of running tights (One is a New Balance and the other an Adidas). They are the light reflecting kinds since I run on the streets. And I have never had a wedgy issue. God bless thongs! :o) I also own a few running tops that have sports bars incorporated in them, which surprisingly, don't have the ladies well, jiggling while I run. I don't know which brand it is. Me thinks Champion.

If your shirt rides up, shop in the long section. I have the same issue since I have a long torso and I end up wearing a long shirt most of the times. Opt for the running tights to prevent them from slipping off. Most of them have elastic bands at the waist plus threads to tighten them further.

Socks/Sports Bras/Undies - I prefer thongs to regular undies while working out. I know it might be uncomfortable if you aren't used to them. But they feel as good as nothing. And remember to throw them in the washer later! :-D Sports bras - I would recommend trying on a few before you buy them. Do them jump test in the changing room to see what works for you :o)

And always buy breathable socks.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    For running shoes I suggest a specialty running store, such as Fleet Feet, Roadrunner, etc. They specialize in being able to fit you for the shoes that will work for your stride and running style. Good shoes are a MUST if you start running.

As far as clothes, I like Lucy (lucy.com) and Lululemon (lululemon.com). Both are on the expensive side, but you can shop the Lucy sales section, I can usually get high quality tops for $15-20 at most. Running shorts are a splurge with me because I run so much and I can't stand crappy shorts or having to replace them all the time. The running shorts at Lululemon are amazing. All of these are super cute and having cute workout clothes helps motivate me :)

Sports bras are Moving Comfort for me (movingcomfort.com or check runningwarehouse.com - you can usually find it MUCH cheaper here). I love the Alexis bra (I'm a B cup, so these work well).

I find investing in good quality workout clothes that make me feel cute and keep all my girl bits in place both help motivate me and make me feel good while I'm running or at the gym.

I will DEFINITELY check out lululemon.com!!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Running Shoes - Head to a sport store like Sports Authority, try out a few shoes, run in them around the store and decide. You want a pair that doesn't stress you feet. I have been wearing Adidas for the longest.

Running shorts/Pants/Tops - Head to Marshalls or any similar store. Right now, I own 2 pairs of running tights (One is a New Balance and the other an Adidas). They are the light reflecting kinds since I run on the streets. And I have never had a wedgy issue. God bless thongs! :o) I also own a few running tops that have sports bars incorporated in them, which surprisingly, don't have the ladies well, jiggling while I run. I don't know which brand it is. Me thinks Champion.

If your shirt rides up, shop in the long section. I have the same issue since I have a long torso and I end up wearing a long shirt most of the times. Opt for the running tights to prevent them from slipping off. Most of them have elastic bands at the waist plus threads to tighten them further.

Socks/Sports Bras/Undies - I prefer thongs to regular undies while working out. I know it might be uncomfortable if you aren't used to them. But they feel as good as nothing. And remember to throw them in the washer later! :-D Sports bras - I would recommend trying on a few before you buy them. Do them jump test in the changing room to see what works for you :o)

There is no way I could exercise in a thong LOL!!! But, running tights are something i hadn't thought of. Thank you!
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

YES WHAT SHE SAID... MARSHALLS OR TJMAXX ALWAYS HAVE AWESOME DEALS ON WORKOUT CLOTHES
    ALSO, IM GOING TO SECOND HER ON THE WASHING YOUR UNDIES THING, BECAUSE THAT SHOULD ALWAYS BE DONE EMPHASIS ON ALWAYS!!!!!!!!! (EWW) LOL
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    lululemon n under armour :P

for both guys n gals
  • LBachynsky
    Options

This!!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second/third the Marshalls/TJ Maxx suggestions. I got a ton of workout gear for over 50% off a few weeks ago. I stocked up on jogging bras for $10 each, and a few fleece running tops for the colder weather (under $20 each). They had tons of workout tops, pants, shorts, etc. to choose from, and quite a few good brands. They will be my first stop from now on for workout gear.
  • liatski
    liatski Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If it were legal to marry these Nike capri running pants, I would. They're kind of expensive and it's scary to buy tight things, but they are surprisingly flattering. they don't move like looser clothing. And you can jog in them without chafing. Seriously- in love.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageWRA-NWLRCBB.html
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Nike dri-fit tops with the built in bra. They keep the girls in place while I run.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i love the nike dri fit compression shorts for running. its the only items i'll really spend money on. everything else is really just whatever is on sale at century 21.
  • ttate002
    Options
    I am cheap as hell when it comes to buying clothes! I order mostly everything I buy online and search the web for coupon codes. I NEVER pay full price for anything. Why spend a lot of money on clothes that I am going to be too small for in a couple of months anyway? I am a big girl and I LOVE Old Navy workout clothes the best! I've paid $5 for a sports bra, $10 for compression capris, and $10 for a tank top. BTW if you join their mailing list you get a coupon for $10 off $50 and they offer free shipping every day for orders over $50! Their sports bras prevent the bounce, the stretchy capris are comfortable and fashionable, and the tank tops hold in the tummy. For shoes, I LOVE New Balance. I'm on my 2nd pair. The first I ordered through East Bay (with a 20% coupon) and the 2nd I bought from Dillard's for like $20 (it was an end of season clearance). When I first started working out I got some workout gear from Wal-Mart and it was okay, but the sports bras are HORRIBLE! I just ordered some stuff from K-Mart, hopefully that works out well.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Adidas Climacool running shoes. Love them.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Target has great prices and decent stuff.
    My wife swears by the clearance section of the New Balance website.
    Champion's website is pretty good.
    Nike makes amazing clothes but they are expensive.
    I have no idea about the quality, but we got a catalog called "Sweaty Betty", the stuff looks good.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to check out Lululemon. When I save up some more money after I get into better shape, I may try them. I, too, and a believer in "you get what you pay for" (most of the time, anyway), and I want work-out clothing that will last....not that will rip up and be useless after 1 wash.

I personally love the Champion workout stuff at Target. I have one of their sports bras that has literally lasted me YEARS, and is still going strong. Can't say that for many bras PERIOD. I also like their yoga/fitness capris and pants....and while I like their shorts for exercising around the house, they aren't the best for walking/jogging. I have yet to find flattering/comfortable shorts. Maybe I should try Lululemon!

I currently have some Reebok's for walking/jogging...I love them. I'm not sure what exact line of Reeboks they are, but they have a squishy neon-colored bottom...I have 2 pair, actually--light grey with a neon pink bottom, and dark gray with a neon baby blue bottom. I've noticed that when I do 30 Day Shred with them, they for some reason hurt my feet. :huh: but jogging/walking/hiking, they work fine! Weird.

If you're just doing some light stuff around the house, even Wal-mart (as much as I hate them) has some really nice, cheap, cute stuff.

Kohl's also has some cool stuff, too.

:flowerforyou:
  • Ambamm77
    Options
    If you are a runner or planning to be one then I suggest Roadrunner for shoes. They are not cheap but they fit you properly to help keep you from having joint pain and other issues. For pants, I like Old Navy. Their compression pants are amazing and they often have good sales on them. I recently got a pair for under $7. I haven't found a great sports bra yet and I just wear normal exercise shirts from where ever they are on sale.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Old Navy is having a 30% off sale right now...I buy all my gear (besides my runners) from them.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I agree about the specialty store for the shoes. It pays to buy ones that will fit you best. For the tops and pants I really like the Champion line they carry at Target. It's pretty reasonable and I get the items with Duo Dry which wicks away the sweat. For me this is a MUST for my workout gear. I absolutely HATE being all wet and nasty and this stuff REALLY helps!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with Old Navy, Target's C9 line, and the GapFit line at the Gap (on sale).

I prefer spandex/tights/leggings over traditional shorts or pants because once I put them on I don't have to worry about them riding up, sagging, etc.
  • Allishole
    Allishole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sports bras - Nike, C9 for Target, or Old Navy - Nike's outlet store has awesome sales; C9 and Old Navy have several different styles to fit depending on your size.

Shoes - Running shoes from a speciality running store - hands down. They may be expensive but they are worth it. Cross-trainers - make sure you have a pair of these for weight training and Insanity/Gym group classes/etc. Running shoes are for running and aren't stable enough for other activites. I wear Mizuno or Saucony running shoes and New Balance cross-trainers. Pay attention to your running shoes and make sure to get new ones when the treads on the bottom wear out. It's not fun to run in shoes that feel like lead and it will hurt your legs.

Running Pants - Nike capri pants. The Old Navy version cuts off circulations below your knees.

Running shorts - Nike, C9, Adidas, Champion. Fully lined are the best!

Workout shirts - Nike, Adidas, and C9 - make sure you get the breathable or wicking shirts. You will feel so much better.

Socks - any sock that is fitted to your foot is best to prevent blisters. The expensive running socks are not necessary unless you are running marathons. I personally like Puma and Powersox.

I work out alot thoughout the week, so buying Lulumon is just not cost-efficient (though my friends swear by them!). Remember, you don't have to match your outfits to go to the gym or to work out...Just put whatever on and go out there! The main point is that you are THERE - best of luck!! ;)