how do I log DVD workouts?

Options
say for example something like Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones. If I do the entire DVD, how much have I burned? And how would I log that into MFP?

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    If an exercise isn't in the database, MFP gives you an option to add it yourself. As for the calorie burn, you can either go with what MFP gives you, which probably won't be accurate (as witnessed by one of my MFP friends who bought a heart rate monitor), or get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap to get the most accurate reading. You'd probably have to put it under circuit training if you're using MFP's guesstimate.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You can always use the generic "aerobics" (assuming that is what that workout is) to get a best guess calorie burn from MFP. I agree that a heart rate monitor is really helpful though.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    However long the DVD is.
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    If its a repetitive routine with bursts of cardio, I log it in as circuit training
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    get yourself a HRM, there pretty cheap on the market now :) that will give you a more accurate calorie burn
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'd go with 'aerobics' or 'circuit training'. When I do turbo jam, I enter 'kickboxing' though.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate monitor for Acurate calorie burn- if you dont have a HRM then post a forum for people who shred in your weight and height division and it can give you an idea of how much to log.

:)
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If its a repetitive routine with bursts of cardio, I log it in as circuit training

I log nearly all of mine as this!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do the dvd's alot and use a HRM to track my calories burned, I log it myself under cardio even if I use weights, just easier that way.........otherwise under strength training u have to break down every exercise and reps and it's just a pain, I hope they improve this aspect of the site.........so for instance today I used a dvd for 40 min and burned 670 calories.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Heart Rate monitor for Acurate calorie burn- if you dont have a HRM then post a forum for people who shred in your weight and height division and it can give you an idea of how much to log.

:)

If you do this, you'd also have to find someone at the same fitness level. That will make a difference.
  • sweetrice12
    sweetrice12 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your replies! I will definitely look into getting a heart rate monitor.
  • Bombon15
    Bombon15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So how do you know when to enter a DVD as Calisthenics? That is what I have been logging them in as, and they have both cardio strength training (with & w/o weights)?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    If it's cardio and strength together, I would log it as circuit training, if you're not adding the actual name of the workout to your database. If it's straight calisthenics, then that's how I'd log it. That's my opinion, anyway. I enter the names of the individual workouts so I can go back and compare my calorie burn from one time to the next.

Edited to say I use a Polar F4 to get my calorie burn, that's why I'm able to add my own workouts.