Tips and Helpful Pointers

Options
As all successful MFPers already know, counting calories does work!! So this is for the doubtful and skeptical new comers like I once was. In order to count calories and see satisfying results, here are some helpful hints that worked great for me!

1. DRINK lots of water. Get it at least 4 bottles a day if you can manage. It will be your best friend during these times, and you'll find that it really makes a calorie difference since it doesn't have any. Try to stay away from the sodas and sugary drinks, they enemy territory. The sugar throws the pounds on your body, slows you down and draws from your energy, and lastly racks up you calorie intake. Try eliminating them from your diet and drinking only water for a few days and see the difference it makes on your body.

**For those looking for that extra boost to eliminate belly fat, have more energy, or feel fuller faster, Google "The Lemonade Diet" (a fast for 7 to 10 days). Drinking a bottle or two a day helps for all those things.

2. LATE night meals are a no-no. We've all heard it, but for most people it is absolutely true. Aim to eat your dinner or last meal before 6pm, 7pm the absolutely latest if you must. When you go to bed just a few hours later, it's harder for your body do digest and get rid of all that food while you're sleeping. Even if you did everything right during the day including a good exercise, you'll find that that one meal can hinder your hard work and your weigh-in number probably did not change.

3. WEIGH yourself often. You might've been like me, afraid to stand on a scale and see that dreaded number, or forcing myself to do it again week after week. But now, after embracing the number I have and accepting the fact that It needs to change, I do it first thing in the morning and actually look forward to it. I'm anxious to see how the efforts of the day before paid off. and if it didn't I know I must work harder today. It builds great momentum and believe me, once you start to see that number drop everyday, it can be one of the most exciting feelings in the world and sometimes the best part of your day.

4. EXERCISE every chance you get. If it means taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walking the dog around the block just one more time, try to get it in any chance you get. Exercise doesn't have to be something you dread. Do something that will make it interesting and wiggle your workout in your day somewhere. If listening to music or watching tv isn't enough, volunteer to take the kids to the park, ask your friend to walk with you to the shop instead, or walk to the second nearest bus stop rather than the closest one to you. One workout I've begun to favor are the stairs, as I live on the 3rd floor. All years I hated them, but now it's a stair-master right outside my door. Walking up and down stairs for 30 mins alone can burn more than 300 calories!

6. FOCUS on your goal. Even when all your friends are eating that delicious looking pasta, or when you smell that amazing pizza. After a while, you will see these foods differently, especially the greasy ones. When eating out, order the smaller portion or the meals that have a healthier indication on it. Ask your waiter for a calorie and nutrition sheet for their menu. When you're at home craving that burger or that chocolate cake, drink another bottle of water and be strong! Encourage yourself when no one else will! Try to remember it will all pay off when you step on that scale again and the number dropped just a little more than yesterday! You can do it!! You WILL do it!!

Replies

• Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll keep these in mind!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I really disagree with some of these tips.

Eat as late as you want, meal timing is irrelevant.
    The Lemonade Diet (aka Master Cleanse) can be a complete waste. It has no effect on belly fat. At all.

The other ones are excellent though! Love number 6:flowerforyou:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Did you purposely post "diet myths"?
    As all successful MFPers already know, counting calories does work!! So this is for the doubtful and skeptical new comers like I once was. In order to count calories and see satisfying results, here are some helpful hints that worked great for me!

1. DRINK lots of water. Get it at least 4 bottles a day if you can manage. It will be your best friend during these times, and you'll find that it really makes a calorie difference since it doesn't have any. Try to stay away from the sodas and sugary drinks, they enemy territory. The sugar throws the pounds on your body, slows you down and draws from your energy, and lastly racks up you calorie intake. Try eliminating them from your diet and drinking only water for a few days and see the difference it makes on your body.

**For those looking for that extra boost to eliminate belly fat, have more energy, or feel fuller faster, Google "The Lemonade Diet" (a fast for 7 to 10 days). Drinking a bottle or two a day helps for all those things.

2. LATE night meals are a no-no. We've all heard it, but for most people it is absolutely true. Aim to eat your dinner or last meal before 6pm, 7pm the absolutely latest if you must. When you go to bed just a few hours later, it's harder for your body do digest and get rid of all that food while you're sleeping. Even if you did everything right during the day including a good exercise, you'll find that that one meal can hinder your hard work and your weigh-in number probably did not change.

3. WEIGH yourself often. You might've been like me, afraid to stand on a scale and see that dreaded number, or forcing myself to do it again week after week. But now, after embracing the number I have and accepting the fact that It needs to change, I do it first thing in the morning and actually look forward to it. I'm anxious to see how the efforts of the day before paid off. and if it didn't I know I must work harder today. It builds great momentum and believe me, once you start to see that number drop everyday, it can be one of the most exciting feelings in the world and sometimes the best part of your day.

4. EXERCISE every chance you get. If it means taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walking the dog around the block just one more time, try to get it in any chance you get. Exercise doesn't have to be something you dread. Do something that will make it interesting and wiggle your workout in your day somewhere. If listening to music or watching tv isn't enough, volunteer to take the kids to the park, ask your friend to walk with you to the shop instead, or walk to the second nearest bus stop rather than the closest one to you. One workout I've begun to favor are the stairs, as I live on the 3rd floor. All years I hated them, but now it's a stair-master right outside my door. Walking up and down stairs for 30 mins alone can burn more than 300 calories!

6. FOCUS on your goal. Even when all your friends are eating that delicious looking pasta, or when you smell that amazing pizza. After a while, you will see these foods differently, especially the greasy ones. When eating out, order the smaller portion or the meals that have a healthier indication on it. Ask your waiter for a calorie and nutrition sheet for their menu. When you're at home craving that burger or that chocolate cake, drink another bottle of water and be strong! Encourage yourself when no one else will! Try to remember it will all pay off when you step on that scale again and the number dropped just a little more than yesterday! You can do it!! You WILL do it!!
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY NEEDED THIS! THANKS FOR THE MOTIVATION TO KEEP ME ON TRACK :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    I have to agree that i also disagree with a lot of these.

Doesn't matter what time you stop eating. Your body is going to burn the same amount of calories. I eat right before bed every night, and I'm still losing weight.

Those lemonade "diets" and anything else like that (yes including HCG) are all scams and do nothing to get rid of belly fat.

And actually, for most people, weighing yourself often is going to do nothing but frustrate the hell out of you because of all the daily/monthly fluctuations. So aiming to weigh yourself often is not good and should be limited to once a week.
  • jrow0524
    Options
    I loved how motivating your post was. Thanks. :happy:
  • jrow0524
    Options
    Wow - 95 lbs - awesome job!!
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you for adding this :-), I agreee, Im not drinking quite as much water but I have noticed it helps a lot!!! And once you start eating healthy you don't crave heavy greasey foods anymore like u used to, and the number one thing to remember
    INDULGE yourself when you really want something make your diet a lifestyle change and be realistic!
  • delineated
    delineated Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If your doing resistance training its good to get some slow digesting protein before bed. Your body does a lot of repairing in your sleep so its good to have the proper nutrients in supply. Plus your about to fast for 8 hours....
  • rosebushqt
    rosebushqt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some of you may not agree with the tips, but as I said, these are only things that have all worked for me and I've been losing 7lbs every week without fail. Plus, everybody's body is different, so they may not work for everyone. I just wanted to share my success with anyone that might have been as frustrated as I was in the beginning. If anyone else has any advice to add, please share! I'm more than willing to try something new. We all want the same thing, to reach our goal!

**Sorry about the numbering, I definitely skipped #5 lol.

5. AVOID fast food. Skipping out on those fatty and greasy meals can only be better for your body. Although convenient, in most cases, they're not the fuel that you might want to be putting into your body. What's the sense of losing all the weight and eating unhealthy in the process? Why not lose the pounds and look good on the outside, as well as feel good on the inside. Also, Try to stay away from foods like pastas and breads. Make a switch to whole grain! Try replacing bread for lettuce (yes, lettuce). Jimmy Johns calls them "unwiches" or lettuce wraps rather than subs, sandwiches, or tacos. It can sometimes cut out about 300 calories. Plus, try your sandwich without mayo for a change; that can cut out another 200 calories in itself!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    We don't agree because you are spreading myths.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I don't do daily weigh-ins or believe in the lemonade diet.. HOWEVER - if that works for you, more power to you!
    For myself, I don't lose daily and it's pointless to me. I definitely take into consideration the muscle I'm building, so the number on the scale may not change, but my clothing fits better.

Great tips otherwise, especially that last one! That one really hit home. Thank you!
  • Amf5627622
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I love when successful losers share what works for them. It's helpful for those of us just starting the journey. I'm a daily weigher too and it helps me see if I've had too much sodium and not enough water - since you can't lose 2 pounds in a day, I know if the scale is up then I've gotta flush my system with water. I've cut out fast food and I used to have it several times a week - I felt like I'd eaten a brick when we were on a road trip and I had to eat it recently.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Some good advice, some not so good. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat, that's a total myth. I work 2 nights a week until 7 p.m., and it's impossible for me to get dinner until at least 8:00 or later. My weight is usually up the following morning, sure, but at the end of the week it doesn't make a difference in my loss whatsoever.
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for taking the time out to type this, there are some great reminders in there :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, congrats on your success.. That is awesome!

But the thing is, everyone's body isn't that different. It's still calories in calories out. Below is a good article on increasing your metabolism but one of those isnt a clense. Also, you can eat whenever you want. Your body will still metabolize the same amount of calories no matter the time. You body has no concept of time. If you don't believe me, look at people who work the night shift. If you want to change your metabolism, eat at a very low deficit or maintenance calories and pack on muscle.

I will note, I do agree with your other ones. Just want to point out, that these are methods that worked for you rather than facts.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat