Am I eating too little/too much? 1200cal/day

Options
I just started my wt loss journey this Saturday and was consuming net cal of 850/day just so i can lose 3lbs/wk. I've been exercising to burn 700cal/day just so i can eat 1500-1800cal/day. A few fitness pals just told me I shouldn't be taking any less than 1200 cal so i just changed my goal today tp 1200. I have a wedding on 8/25/12 which is why i reeeally wanted to lose 3lbs/wk.

For those who have lost weight during the past few months, did net 1200 cal/day work for you? When i exercise, I'm almost feel guilty to use up all the cals i burned just because i feel like its a waste of working out if i'm just eating back the cals... but then again I really want to stay in my goal of net cal to prevent hitting a plateau. Your thoughts?

stats:
SW: 252
CW: 249
HW: 260
GW: 130

Thanks!
-Jazzberry Jam

Replies

• sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    you need 1200 cals a day min to function any less could do you harm.

i do not like to use up my cals from working out either but i do use at least half of them. i figure my measuring is not exact so the other half is used by defalt. i only burn 300 cals from cardio the days i go to the gym. other wise i burn 100-200 taking the dog for a walk if that is my only exercise.

make sure you do weights to tone up.
  • JazzberryJam
    Options
    thanks for the advice! :) def wanna be toned !
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Personally- I'd make sure you take in at least 1200 calories to get sufficient nutrients for your body.

The jury is split on eating back your exercise calories - you could certainly try not eating them for a few weeks and see how that goes.

But a loss of 3lbs a week is really really high - perhaps rethink that goal.

Good luck - all the best with the wedding plans!
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am allowed to eat way up to 1900 (since I have so much weight to lose) and generally I end up eating between 1200 (which I try to not go under unless I'm REALLY not hungry or busy or something) and 1900. Yesterday I think I ended just under 1300 so today I'm making an effort to eat a little more and end up closer to 1900. I've lost more than two pounds every week doing this. :)

I very rarely eat my exercise calories. I tend to think the program overestimates, so if I do, I only eat back half of them.

I do make sure that what I'm eating gives me enough protein and other nutrients. I'm trying really hard to lose in a sustainable way and avoid feeling sick/rundown/deprived.
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    at that weight, my nutritionist had me eating 1350-1400 calories...i usually lose 1-3lbs a week