Exercise tips for a bad back please!

Options
Hi All!
I have been suffering from a bad back for 10 years now (I have a torn disc and problems with my sacro iliaque joint) and really struggle with exercise as it just causes so much pain! Most of the time it isn't too bad but I had a procedure done last week which has left me in agony so Im off work, bored as hell and feeling a bit crap.
At the moment I have going for 20 minute dog walks but these always end in agony. I would love to go swimming but I cant drive too far to get there because of the pain.
I have tried pilates and yoga but can only do a few of the moves.

Any ideas on some gentle easy but effective exercises I can do from home? I really need to strengthen up my core muscles.

Thanks, I really appreciate any ideas!

ps-feel free to add me :happy:

Replies

• tonybdavies
    Options
    I injured my lower back 8 years ago, but not as badly as yours be the sounds. It took me two years of refraining from exercise before I felt ready to return to lifting weights. It was a heavy lift in the gym that did my back in to begin with. I can now lift heavier weights than ever.

Keep using your back to do what it is designed to do, which is generally bend down and pick things off the floor, and also lifting yourself up from a lower position.

I have looked at the inversion table in considering ways to rehabilitate myself. The inversion table might be something which could help you. Inversion tables gently stretch your back whilst titled upside down, the angle can be controlled all the way to full inversion (directly hanging upside down). Teeter inversion tables are the best made quality tables, and you want quality not the cheaper knock-off ones.

http://teeter-inversion.com/
  • fitzy500
    fitzy500 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My fiance has similar back issues and he has just started doing Foundation Training, just google Foundation Back Exercises. He is pretty happy with it so far. I do it with him to strengthen my core. I bought the book from Amazon and it got really good reviews. It's worth a try :)
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had/have a spinal disease and lost a vertebre & have my lumbar spine, L4-S1, fused. I had surgery 21 years ago and have found that there are many things I can and cannot do. I cannot do high impact aerobics like kick boxing, taebo, anything that has a lot of kicking and twisting.

What I can do is some yoga, elliptical and walking/light jogging. But, it sounds like you dont' have the back issues under control yet, and if walking is painful I would be careful about further injuring your back. Can you ask your doctor for some suggestions? Lots of exercises will aggrevate your pain and can even cause more damage. I don't want to scare you, but the LAST thing you want to do is cause nerve damage that will affect your bladder/bowel/feet etc.

I would really talk to your doctor, I feel for you! I have suffered from back problems since I was 14 years old. At this point, more of my life has been in pain than not , and I'm always nervous trying something new (exercise). You don't want to work through the pain when you have an actual physical problem, it will just make it worse. ((HUGS))
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Good information to know for all who have back pain! I know I do..
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... for 13 years now. I have a herniated disc and sciatic pain in my lower right back/butt. My lower extremities go numb after sitting. Problem should fix itself (according to doctors) when I drop this extra 60 lbs. and continue physical therapy, stretching exercises. Exercise, stretching HELPS - but have not been RID of it, yet.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    and the reason why I have kept this weight on!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor to send you to a physical therapist. Ask the therapist to show you the best exercises for your issues. Mine showed me some stretching and other moves to strengthen my core while laying on my bed. Doing the moves on the floor (even with a yoga mat) can be agonizing. Also ask about using a ball and resistance bands, and maybe a chiropractor. I have negative reactions to pain meds and steroids so I chose to use a chiropractor instead of spinal injections and pills that the orthopedic doc was advocating.
  • boa74
    boa74 Posts: 18
    Options
    Cheers all!
    Im just trying to stay positive as Im sure you all know, it can really get you down. Especially as I can even go to work at the moment so long days stretch ahead...!
    I am managing some gentle stuff on the wii, which is ideal as I cant get stuck when Im out and about when my hip decides to stop working!
    Chin up and all that!!!! :wink:
  • boa74
    Options
    Ive done all the physio etc. It didnt make me any better which was frustrating.
    Unfortunately my back problem is proving to be nigh on impossible to diagnose so its hard to know what to do.
    My surgeon has just done a procedure so fingers crossed he will be able to tell me what is wrong at longgggg last!!!!!
    Then I can get on with my life!!!!:happy:
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    After my back surgery (I had my L5/ S1 replaced in 2007) I was only allowed to do walking, water exercises and very low impact exercises for a year. Now the only restrictions I have is doing crunches. I'll never be allowed to do those. For 7 years, I couldn't exercise at all because of the pain. I would try to but I would be in agony so I gained 80 pounds. Now I'm trying to get it off. I wish I would have done the water exercises at least so I wouldn't have put on so much weight, but I didn't :( Good luck!
  • boa74
    Options
    I really feel for you, its a catch 22!
    I've managed to do some exercise on the bike today and I feel really good, its a slow process but we will get there!!!!
    Good luck with it all, just try and stay positive and keep a good sense of humor.