for skinny people out there!

Options
So I have always been struggling to lose last couple pounds. and now that i'm quite serious about that, I keep wondering if im just plateauing or is it really that hard to lose weight when you are already slim? I am 5'7 and im not sure how much exactly I weight, but i'm about 130 ibs. I mean I feel like i lose OK, but if I screw up one day ( and im not talking binges, just moderate) im back to when i began.

so tell me, please, how easy is it for you to lose?

Replies

• SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bumpp
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    It's tough mentally. Just create a moderate deficit, be patient and you'll lose the fat. Most people can't push through the mental grind to get really thin/low body fat, or the lack the muscle to do so.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    this is me too!!! i would be very interested in general responses to this!
  • pixiexxgirl
    Options
    A few years ago when I was skinnier, about 97-100 pounds, I still worked out and walked and I NEVER lost anything, I'm 35 pounds heavier now, and I'm still doing the same workouts and I'm now beginning to see a difference in my weight.

So Thinner people may have a harder time losing weight, but im not for sure.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    The smaller you are, the less of a healthy (20%) deficit you are able to create. So losing the fat just takes longer...and that is tough mentally because it just takes longer. It may seem like you aren't losing fat, so you give up....but you really were, just at a slower pace than everyone else/you expected.
  • CornellGirl
    CornellGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It has been EXTREMELY challenging for me to get to my goal weight of 115lb. I fluctuate between 118-122 lbs. I do not want people to tell me that "weight is just a number" because I do, in fact, realize that it is. 115lb is my goal and I am going to get to that weight the healthy way. I go to the gym everyday, I eat healthy, and I compete in sprint triathlons.

MFP has been very helpful and I enjoy all the support/motivation.

I have found that drastically limiting carbs and increasing your protein intake has helped me drop down in the high teens before... but sometimes a college girl just needs to splurge during those nights in the library.

You are probably hitting a plateau - welcome to the club! Looking forward to more suggestions. Add me if you're in a similar situation!
  • marina_j
    Options
    if you find the answer, please let me know!!

i don't consider myself "skinny" but i am not big. i know how hard those last few pounds are. i am 5'8 (when i am not slouching) and weigh about 142 - i just want to get to 135 and have been at this almost a month and think i have gained one pound (says miss tanita, but i hate her and have put her in the drawer and am trying to ignore her).

however, i am 42 and the mom of 3, so my metabolism probably isnt as great as yours . . .

so, after the first two weeks of nothing, i came here and am learning what i eat and truly trying to think of food as fuel and not a hobby.

i am trying to mix up workouts (cardio 6x a week and strength training 2-3 times) - i sometimes run down the hill and back up or do the elliptical... just for the past 5 days i have been trying to eat back my exercise calories which is the hardest thing ever. it goes against everything i have ever learned or thought i knew about dieting, but i am willing to try and see if it works (because netting 700-800 calories wasn't :)
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    this is really good to keep in mind. never give up!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yes of course..the smaller you are the less amount of calories it takes to run our bodies.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I started at 173, got down to around 161-163 and got stuck there. my goal weight was 155, I was around 157-159 for a while and was sick of it. I tried zigzagging my calories and it has really helped, my lowest weight has been 154.8. I also found that when I'm stuck for a week, having a higher calorie day helps. I now try to do it once a week.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm also only about five or ten pounds away from my goal weight, so I could use some advice.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering this myself. I'm 5'7" and thin BUT I would like to lose some body fat. Not a lot but enough to show off my definition I've been working so hard to build. I weigh 129lbs but fluctuate 127-130. I ate a 1200 calorie diet and about starved and lost nothing...then upped it and lost nothing...then upped my cardio and weight training and lost nothing. I don't get it either.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I was never tying to lose weight. I want to tone to look leaner, so I add in strength training and circuit training. I can see a little more definition. I feel like when you get to a fairly low weight, you need to gain lean muscle to help with the weight loss.
  • marina_j
    Options
    oh no natalie - that sounds awful. i am just now trying to up my calories and am so hoping that works :)

stephanie (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stephanielynn76) did it, and she is such an inspiration, so i keep looking at her blog and trying to keep hope :)
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    if you find the answer, please let me know!!

i don't consider myself "skinny" but i am not big. i know how hard those last few pounds are. i am 5'8 (when i am not slouching) and weigh about 142 - i just want to get to 135 and have been at this almost a month and think i have gained one pound (says miss tanita, but i hate her and have put her in the drawer and am trying to ignore her).

however, i am 42 and the mom of 3, so my metabolism probably isnt as great as yours . . .

so, after the first two weeks of nothing, i came here and am learning what i eat and truly trying to think of food as fuel and not a hobby.

i am trying to mix up workouts (cardio 6x a week and strength training 2-3 times) - i sometimes run down the hill and back up or do the elliptical... just for the past 5 days i have been trying to eat back my exercise calories which is the hardest thing ever. it goes against everything i have ever learned or thought i knew about dieting, but i am willing to try and see if it works (because netting 700-800 calories wasn't :)

I've always been curious about eating back exercise calories! Just like you, I'm very skeptical about that method and afraid to do that. Let me know how it goes!=)
  • tonybdavies
    Options
    Hey there! The heading of my topic is "Stubborn last 2 pounds - anyone else have similar experience" and it sounds as though we have a similar problem. Historically I've always had what I call a fast metabolism which kept me permanently weighing 170 pounds / 77 kg for much of my adult life, but then I put on a little weight in the past few years, which happily I have now lost most of EXCEPT for this last stubborn two pounds!! I know there's about two pounds because I can see and fell my stomach underneath, and there's no excess anywhere else on my body!!

I am maintaining 1600 caloric intake. I am exercising regularly. Maybe I'm being impatient!! Since I've only been on this plateau for three weeks now. But I expected to maintain the weight loss I experienced when I started this system. The main change I made was measuring calories in MFP.