Why won't it ever just come back off again?

Options
You would think that with my lifestyle being an instructor, I could take a couple of weeks off.....enjoy myself over the holidays....sure, gain some weight....but then hop back on the wagon and get back to where I was. WHY IS THAT NEVER THE CASE WITH ME??? I gained seven yucky pounds after being on holiday for 2 weeks...but now I'm back to teaching 10 classes a week and watching everything I'm eating. I am doing nothing different from before I left and I got down to 152 again FINALLY. I'm now still up at 157 and this is WEEKS later! Shouldn't it sorta fall back off again if I'm busting my *kitten* and eating well again? It's so frustrating...like I can never take a breather...if I'm not pounding it at the gym and watching every calorie I'll be punished for months. :cry:

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Awww, hugs for you girl! I don't know what to tell you though! I've been bumping up and down the same 2 pounds for a while, but I am not letting it get me down! You have lots of muscle so you might just be at the right weight! :)
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Awww, hugs for you girl! I don't know what to tell you though! I've been bumping up and down the same 2 pounds for a while, but I am not letting it get me down! You have lots of muscle so you might just be at the right weight! :)

I have been doing the same...bumping up and down the same 2lbs since Christmas. I will admit that I am not working out as much with so much other stuff going on. I would hate to see the gain if I quit working out completely! Ugh!

Hang in there, I am sure it will begin to fall off as active as you seem to be!:smile:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Oh it's trial and error in this weight loss business but you know I'm speaking from a 5 mth plateau . . . you gotta be clean and no cheating ALL THE TIME. It sucks but that's it, no cheat whatsoever, especially when you trying to shake off a 5 lb gain that won't budge. Maybe a healthy cleanse or strict eating (set the # of days til you see results) to get it going down again can jump start a clean eating routine. Our bodies are all different but I know my body hangs on to anything it can.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I do 7 - 9 classes as week, body pump twice, legs bums and tums, spinning, some runs in between... and NOTHING. I eat mostly clean, but I cant seem to move weight wise. If anything it goes up. Its so disheartening that after busting your *kitten* in the gym and at classes and watching every calorie and for what!? Nothing. As someone above was saying I'm terrified of what if I do no exercise, what would be the consquences... its like my body is used to the intense exercise every week and thats the norm... what if I didnt do it? I'd be massive???
    I really dont know what to suggest but if you do find an answer please share with me... I so get your disappointment and frustration, I'm right there with you! I'm exhausted and not getting anywhere! :cry:
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling very frustrated too. Eating very clean, bumped up cals, bumped up weight lifting, reduced cardio....nothing!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I don't want to ever feel like I'm dieting. I want it to just be my life. So I feel like twice a year I can vaca and not have to worry about the weight that took two weeks to come on taking 6 months to come back off again. It's maddening.
  • tonybdavies
    Options
    Ohhh I suddenly feel a whole lot better about my three week two pound plateau!! BTW this two pound for me is the final resistance my body is putting up and I'm not going to let it conquer me, I will conquer it!! I'm not cheating, I'm not taking diet drugs, I've given up all coffee, alcohol, butters and spreads, I train regularly, healthy lifestyle etc and I will do this.
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    A thought...since muscle weighs more than fat, what if you slowed down a bit on the pounding and the grinding and whatever at the gym. Spend some time walking and stretching. You'll still be doing your body good things but maybe it'll give your metabolism a break from thinking it has to store up a ton just to satisfy all those intense workouts. Just a thought....
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Thank all that's out there.
    I thought I was the only person who was experiencing this. I am so ticked off to see my ticker going back up that I'm going to stop recording. But I still can't get out of the daily need to weigh.
    So glad to read it, so gutted for all still hanging in the same place.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I do 7 - 9 classes as week, body pump twice, legs bums and tums, spinning, some runs in between... and NOTHING. I eat mostly clean, but I cant seem to move weight wise. If anything it goes up. Its so disheartening that after busting your *kitten* in the gym and at classes and watching every calorie and for what!? Nothing. As someone above was saying I'm terrified of what if I do no exercise, what would be the consquences... its like my body is used to the intense exercise every week and thats the norm... what if I didnt do it? I'd be massive???

And you seem to actually have a decent goal calorie, and it appears eating back your exercise calories, if recording them all anyway.

So here is a suggestion that may just apply to many on here.

Several places for inaccuracies that if they all go one direction, could have your calorie goals higher than they should be.
    Now, I'm not advocating killing your metabolism by eating 500 under your BMR. Which is the other reason for not seeing advancement.

But it could be your BMR estimate by MFP is wrong.
    Which means your calculated maintenance calories based on that is wrong, and if the wrong activity level, even more wrong.
    And then your exercise calories could be way off if not using a decent HRM estimate.

So suggestion:
    Confirm your BMR using another respected formula, which requires bodyfat % and is more accurate.
    Get a better estimate of daily activity for the maintenance calories.
    Do your math for weight loss to get your daily calories.
    Update MFP.
    Figure out if exercise calories is way off.

Here is site for getting your body-fat %. May not be super accurate, but the estimate is good enough for use in calculations.
    The plus here is, you record these measurements in MFP as additional things to track and see positive progress.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/

Take the results over to here after noting them.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

Change height to BF in the calculator, and the Katch-McArdle formula is used for BMR.
    Do NOT include exercise in the levels and time of activity, because you'll still enter that into MFP and it will credit you, but really thing about your normal average daily activity levels and time outside exercise.
    Now you have a better BMR figure (keep that in mind because you should not eat below that ever) and more importantly, maintenance calories.

Now do the math from those maintenance calories just like MFP does on it's estimate.
    500 cal/day is 1lb week. Add 250 to that figure depending on being realistic. Even 10% of maintenance is recommended sometimes.
    So take that calorie figure from the maintenance calories - and there is your goal calories.
    This should NOT be below your BMR figure. You should never eat below what your body requires for basic life, unless you just want to slow your metabolism down and make weight loss harder.
    If it is lower, your goal calories can be your BMR, but you would be better served sticking to 10% in that case.

Now you can enter that figure in MFP Goals manually. Don't worry about the figures on the right now, but may be interesting to see how it compares to that formula.

Now go to Enter Weight, and Add additional measurements for what you took for the body fat %.

Now eat back those exercise calories, and use a cheap HRM to get some sort of decent estimate.

Do this all over again in a month. And progress beyond the scale can be seen now too.

Example here. (30 yr old female, 180 lbs, desk job - not me)
    Body fat% calculated - 32%
    8 hrs resting, 15 very light, 1 light
    BMR - 1572
    Maintenance - 2162
    Goal weight loss weekly - 1lb, 3500 calories, 500/day
    Goal calories - 2162-500= 1662 daily (just above BMR, so would have been unrealistic to attempt 2lb/weekly).

Any exercise gets logged, and manually corrected by HRM estimate of calorie burn.
    Extra food eaten is snack before and after workouts that are balanced carb/protein, with extra protein afterwords.
    Want to feed that muscle, since that is what will help it grow, and burn fat 24hrs a day.

Cheers!
  • AScarbrough19
    AScarbrough19 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You would think that with my lifestyle being an instructor, I could take a couple of weeks off.....enjoy myself over the holidays....sure, gain some weight....but then hop back on the wagon and get back to where I was. WHY IS THAT NEVER THE CASE WITH ME??? I gained seven yucky pounds after being on holiday for 2 weeks...but now I'm back to teaching 10 classes a week and watching everything I'm eating. I am doing nothing different from before I left and I got down to 152 again FINALLY. I'm now still up at 157 and this is WEEKS later! Shouldn't it sorta fall back off again if I'm busting my *kitten* and eating well again? It's so frustrating...like I can never take a breather...if I'm not pounding it at the gym and watching every calorie I'll be punished for months. :cry:

Wow!!! THis could be me writing this and we look about the same weight. I have gained & lost the same 8 lbs twice this year...Summer fun time and then the holidays. A little less gym and less focus on my food journal and the scale goes up! Takes about 4 weeks to put on and Then 3 months to take off. I have maintained a weight loss of 85 lbs for 5 years but the struggle is there EVERY Day! So frustrating but yes it seems it is reality for me and for you. I somethimes wonder if 155 should be my goal weight but also know I am most comfortable at 145 so the battle goes on!