Can I trust this online nutritional info?

Options
My dad and I went for lunch, and the wonton soup is my favorite: I got a bowl for my meal, instead of just an appetizer. It's a really big bowl, meant for 3-4 people for an appetizer. I ate half the bowl, mostly just the broth. I only had two of the wontons; there are about 5-6 wontons left. I'm really anxious about my meal though. The website says each serving is 92 calories. The entire bowl has about 5 servings. Would it be safe to say I had about 230 calories worth? Oh, and please don't say anything about sodium. I'm aware of it.

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Feels like I've been blacklisted on MFP.... Hello?? Anybody out there??
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i don't really know for sure, but seriously, broth isn't highly caloric, so i'd say 230 is a good estimate.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just so ya know, we're out here :) Personally, I have no idea how accurate that count might be though.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I would say so...
  • Legally_Natural
    Legally_Natural Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would love to give you an answer on this but I am not sure. Just wanted to let you know that I saw your post and that you are not being blacklisted. :-)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. :)
  • angel2296
    angel2296 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Wonton soup, but I would feel comfortable with using the calories listed on the website. It sounds like you adjusted it for the amount you ate.

You are not blacklisted....just may not be as many people on here right now! :wink:

Have a blessed day!!
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to look up multiple wonton soups and take the average one. I will see something say 90 and another 110 and another 130. Usually I will go with the middle one.

Another thing I do is look online and search 'calories wonton with broth' and it will pop up chinese food places that count their calories. That way I know when I search on MFP I can get the most accurate calorie count.

Hope this helps!
  • MOesmama
    MOesmama Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did a quick google search and I came up with 181 calories per 1 cup. If the serving is 1/2 cup then 90 or so calories is right.
  • rachaelhoffman
    rachaelhoffman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, if you at the whole bowl, it'd be around 500 calories (92 calories for 5 servings), and if you ate half the bowl and less than half the wontons- 200 is a great estimate!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would look to see if the particular restaurant you were at has nutritional info online. If not, then just estimate. I'd would do what a few others have said. Look at a few different ones and find one sort of in the middle. That's what I do.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I know that alot of the nutritional information is put in by us (MFP users), if something doesn't seem right to me i always double check on a site like calorie king. Some restaurants have the nutritional values on their websites. Hope this is of some help. Have a great day!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Not sure about wonton soup, but I have found sometimes I have to look at more than one entry. Also look at where it says the number of confirmations on that entry. It means that many people agreed with the data. One time I was logging 3 scrambled eggs and the total cals were over 500. I thought that cannot be right. And so I picked another one in the database.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I don't know the calorie count on the soup, but you could google it and get some reference points to start with.

I will let you know a little trick on the calorie counts on this website. Anything with an asteric has been entered by a member. Their info could have come from a website, the side of the package or any other guess they came up with. I always double check the nutrition if I have the package. The same with restaurants. I usually go to the specific website and verify the nutrition in from thier website.

The things that don't have an asteric were put in there from the site info, These are usually things like whole fruits and veggies, raw foods etc. Those are usually pretty accurate, but need some double checking if it seems off.

So many people add their stuff without making sure it is in the data base first, That is why you will see so many of the same things, use those cautiously too, because some times the company changes the serving size altering the nutrition info.

It's not a perfect system, but most people eat the same thing for the most part so you can keep pulling from your own recent entries, but just double check and look for things without the asteric.

hope that helps.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Good advice from dlaplume2.

Here is another example from my food log.... every week I get chinese takeout. I order the same thing, shrimp broccoli with white rice. The entry I found in this database says it is 318 cals, 2 servings with rice. I can't believe that is correct. When I make a shrimp and rice dish at home, it is more than that for one serving. So I add in rice separately when I log my takeout. No, I know it is not exact but I would rather estimate higher on my cals than too low. I don't know how the place makes this dish to be able to find info on the net and guess what the correct calories would be.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing with soups. I will alot of times, just eat the broth and don't know how to log it. It drives me nuts! Like, I ate barley soup, but not the noodles, just the juice. So, i'm wondering if I log it as like a beef broth or what? Anyone know the answer to this?